PDA

View Full Version : Portland - De Ronde??

Dead Man
04-05-2015, 10:28 AM
Anyone hear anything? All I've seen is a single article on bikeportland.org indicating "rumor" has it it's the 18th/19th this year.

Who knows what?

Dead Man
04-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I've had confirmation from two additional sources - 18th/19th

15,000' in 100 miles - due to mapping issues the elevation gain estimates are LOW, and riders can expect to log closer to 17,000'

R u rdy?

JAllen
04-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Best of luck to you. Do you feel ready?

gasman
04-05-2015, 05:28 PM
I've had confirmation from two additional sources - 18th/19th

15,000' in 100 miles - due to mapping issues the elevation gain estimates are LOW, and riders can expect to log closer to 17,000'

R u rdy?

That's if you ride both days. I've done the one day twice and it was hard. Twice is enough for me, hard to imagine doing a second day.
If you haven't done Rhonde PDX I'd reccomend it.

Good luck to those who ride it this year !!!

krhea
04-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Info has been out for almost a month. Bike Portland had a complete article about both rides in the last couple weeks.

Route comes right past our front door as it flies down SW Upper Dr aka "pothole ave" off the top of SW Montgomery Dr.
Lots and lots of riders doing pre-ride prep this year, many more then in past years. All day yesterday and today we've had riders "looking for lions" as they came down our street. Could be record year for rider numbers if the day dawns dry.

The Lion of Flanders flags are already flying from many houses on the route in our SW neighborhood!

kevinvc
04-05-2015, 07:29 PM
It's not a sanctioned / organized ride. The people who put it together have to be very careful about not letting it look like an official thing for liability reasons. A whole bunch of people just happen to show up on a certain day and do the same route all on their own.

It is a total blast and I've enjoyed doing the ride on the same day as all the other folks as well as incorporating parts into my personal riding /training routes. And yes, it is enough to blow the legs off of many strong riders.

However, I have also seen a guy riding an xtracycle with cardboard cutouts turning it into Thomas the Tank Engine do the entire route. It was a magnificent thing.

Dead Man
04-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Best of luck to you. Do you feel ready?

I think I'm in the best condition of my life, right now.

Really wish I was racing this season.

Spaceman Spiff
04-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I've been hearing about the Ronde from coworkers ever since moving the area last summer. I'm excited!

I've got to figure out a way to track how long I'm in my (36-28) granny gear...

gasman
04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
I've been hearing about the Ronde from coworkers ever since moving the area last summer. I'm excited!

I've got to figure out a way to track how long I'm in my (36-28) granny gear...

You're probably low enough or close to it. I do the ride with a 34-27 and have made it up both Brynwood and College without stopping-though I did have to circle into driveways to catch my breath. Twice on Brynwood and once on College.

Good luck !

Dead Man
04-06-2015, 05:03 PM
You're probably low enough or close to it. I do the ride with a 34-27 and have made it up both Brynwood and College without stopping-though I did have to circle into driveways to catch my breath. Twice on Brynwood and once on College.

Good luck !

What do you supposed the max grade is on Brynwood? Strava gives it steps over 50%.... not really seeing that as being even close to believable

gasman
04-06-2015, 05:22 PM
What do you supposed the max grade is on Brynwood? Strava gives it steps over 50%.... not really seeing that as being even close to believable

I think Brynwood at it's steepest has a short bit of just over 30%. The big thing is that it is long-1/4 mile or so. When you get to the top you know you've accomplished something ! Good luck and enjoy !

Dead Man
04-06-2015, 05:22 PM
One of Strava's biggest flaws, in my opinion, is the fact that bad info is permanent. If someone's GPS was off and they made a segment that's 15 or even 30 or 50 feet off the road, the segment is going to show massive elevation gain, and the plotted course runs up and down the drainages and spurs next to the road. Unless dudes 'snap' their rides before uploading and you can clearly see it follows the road perfectly, you really have no idea what a climb has to offer until you ride it. And there's nothing you can do about it, except make ANOTHER segment, and snap your own ride.

skijoring
04-06-2015, 08:58 PM
I think Brynwood at it's steepest has a short bit of just over 30%. The big thing is that it is long-1/4 mile or so. When you get to the top you know you've accomplished something ! Good luck and enjoy !

Yah Brynwood and College are gnarly - 34x34 for the win.

krhea
04-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Brynwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzLHzyrA4Cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lUZG8pku8

Rhonde PDX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwrU0iJNSE

FYI:

If it's wet at all stay away from the edges of both Brynwood and College. There's a ton of moss on the edges of both stretches, it's like riding on ice and even worse on those pitches. Lose traction on either street and you're probably going down.

Dead Man
04-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Some bros and I did Brynwood at the end of a 5200' day, Sunday... I got up it on the bike just fine in DRY conditions, but even dry, I would spin out if I veered into the mossy bit in the middle between bends. I can't imagine trying to do that thing wet. No way. No traction. I just don't weigh enough to keep the rear wheel stuck.

JAllen
04-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Some bros and I did Brynwood at the end of a 5200' day, Sunday... I got up it on the bike just fine in DRY conditions, but even dry, I would spin out if I veered into the mossy bit in the middle between bends. I can't imagine trying to do that thing wet. No way. No traction. I just don't weigh enough to keep the rear wheel stuck.

I would gladly give you some of my weight! :) you'd be able to keep anything down under any road conditions.

gasman
04-15-2015, 12:18 PM

You must be really light. I'm only 162 and haven't had a problem as long as I stay away from the edges.
Good for you for making the climb. It's hard.

Dead Man
04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
You must be really light. I'm only 162 and haven't had a problem as long as I stay away from the edges.
Good for you for making the climb. It's hard.

Have you done it wet, though?

I'm a wee lad

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/IMG_1028_zpsmyhvnm3y.jpg

What I have to compare to is the steeper sections of Pisgah Home and JP West, west of Scappoose - the steepest bits of road I've yet climbed in the rain, if you've ever happened upon those up this way. I have actually gotten up the middle step of JP in the rain, seated - but I'm usually already a few thousand feet into the ride when I start up it and have to stand up... if it's raining, it's not happening.

I didn't even try Brynwood on the saddle... I kind of wanted to sit down and just see if I could spin it out, but was afraid I'd just fall over.

gasman
04-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Brynwood was damp the first time I did it but not really that wet at all. I saw a couple people climbing seated but I'd be afraid of falling over on my ass.
Looks to be great weather this weekend.
Have fun !!

Dead Man
04-17-2015, 09:18 PM
ITS TOMORROW, BISHES

who comin?

skijoring
04-17-2015, 09:58 PM
ITS TOMORROW, BISHES

who comin?

I might be there. Have some errands to do prior, but will try to make it. 32x34, :hello:

Dead Man
04-17-2015, 10:00 PM
34:28 is the smallest I got...

JAllen
04-17-2015, 10:04 PM
34:28 is the smallest I got...
Oy! Good luck bud! I don't have anything that would make that ride realistic. Let us know how you do. :)

gasman
04-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Best of luck. You'll have perfect weather. Have fun everyone !!!

kevinvc
04-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm very bummed (and slightly relieved) that I have kids soccer games all day tomorrow and won't be able to ride.

gasman
04-18-2015, 12:28 AM
I'm very bummed (and slightly relieved) that I have kids soccer games all day tomorrow and won't be able to ride.

You probably don't want to know they added a Sunday ride last year on the East side I believe. I don't know anything about it.

Dead Man
04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
De Ronde was epic... very pleasing

But it's not over - oh no, we're only halfway there.

My partner will not be riding with me for La Doyenne tomorrow - anybody wanna team up?? I hate riding solo amongst a thousand people on bikes...

Did de Ronde in 4:31, with a naturally gifted climber that's been on the couch for a year... That was a very comfortable pace, would like to up it a few ticks tomorrow though. Howevver.. I'd be happy just to have someone to stick with, at any pace.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/dd4a37d8-9e4e-4619-921d-d2811ac3e94e_zps5ag3nmnq.png

JAllen
04-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Dude, I would love to ride with you tomorrow but I don't have a bike suited for that kind of riding and I'm not the exactly Speedy Gonzalez.

Dead Man
04-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Dude, I would love to ride with you tomorrow but I don't have a bike suited for that kind of riding and I'm not the exactly Speedy Gonzalez.

Definitely want gears

I'm sorta semi half surprised I didn't see any single speeds, because there's always that one guy... but... I mean... c'mon.... it's 8,000'

JAllen
04-19-2015, 12:11 AM
Definitely want gears

I'm sorta semi half surprised I didn't see any single speeds, because there's always that one guy... but... I mean... c'mon.... it's 8,000'
Yeah you'd have to have a ridiculous gear set up for the hills that would be useless on the flats. Maybe another type of ride another time. I'd actually like to do it next year. I have a friend who does rando rides and I'd really like to start doing those as well. I want to escalate my riding.

krhea
04-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Definitely want gears

There were 3 single speeds that we counted plus two young boys, maybe 10-12yr old who killed it.
Perfect weather and perhaps a bit hot as it got later.

Did anyone grab a bag of those amazing chocolate chip cookies up on Montgomery...

Dead Man
04-19-2015, 01:09 AM
There were 3 single speeds that we counted plus two young boys, maybe 10-12yr old who killed it.

Did anyone grab a bag of those amazing chocolate chip cookies up on Montgomery...

Yea, we started right behind the wee ones.. was awesome to see them give it a go. Any idea if they completed?

I was the dude riding with Louis, BTW... though I blew on when he stopped to chat with you (I didn't know what was up and needed to find a place to piss pretty bad anyway)

JAllen
04-19-2015, 03:17 AM

That's great! I don't ride an outrageous gear (48x20 adds up to be around 65" which is pretty nice for kicking around town), I'm turning 27 soon but I think my knees are turning 47...

Dead Man
04-19-2015, 06:36 PM
HELL of a weekend, boys. Extra emphasis on that "hell" part.

Riding solo today, I started near the front and just stayed there, riding the ebb and flow of teams picking it up and putting it down. About a 1/3rd of the way in, everyone seemed to have settled into their respective paces, and I just started working my way up... bridge on descents, drop anyone trying to get on my wheel....

Finished with a mixed group behind the "break".... so probably 10-12th place overall? Definitely top 15, as far as I can tell. Not really sure - it's not a race, so figuring out how you stacked up is a matter of asking "was there anyone ahead of you?" and "how many others have been through here?" and, finally, at the end, "how many have finished?"

3:46/3:51 moving/total time for day 2

I think the leaders had us by a good 15 minutes, though. Probably some eurotrash pro fawks. :p

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/163a83dc-1f35-4c69-b447-bbb9cf969b09_zpsu4j33r17.png

16,034' in two days....... sheeeeeeee....

JAllen
04-20-2015, 01:18 AM
HELL of a weekend, boys. Extra emphasis on that "hell" part.

Riding solo today, I started near the front and just stayed there, riding the ebb and flow of teams picking it up and putting it down. About a 1/3rd of the way in, everyone seemed to have settled into their respective paces, and I just started working my way up... bridge on descents, drop anyone trying to get on my wheel....

Finished with a mixed group behind the "break".... so probably 10-12th place overall? Definitely top 15, as far as I can tell. Not really sure - it's not a race, so figuring out how you stacked up is a matter of asking "was there anyone ahead of you?" and "how many others have been through here?" and, finally, at the end, "how many have finished?"

3:46/3:51 moving/total time for day 2

I think the leaders had us by a good 15 minutes, though. Probably some eurotrash pro fawks. :p

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/163a83dc-1f35-4c69-b447-bbb9cf969b09_zpsu4j33r17.png

16,034' in two days....... sheeeeeeee....

Awesome job B! I was talking to a church buddy at a birthday party who was out there earlier today. He said he puked. I really want to do this next year.

gasman
04-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Good job riding both days ! Sounds like the course suited your strengths.