PDA

View Full Version : Spoke tension?

bikenut
04-05-2015, 08:58 AM
I have a pair of 09 Mavic Ksyrium Elites that have served me well. I also have a 32 spoke wheels that came with my Wabi SS that weigh 1725 grams. The ss set is rock solid without a hint of flex. The Mavics however, flex and creek when out of the saddle and really cranking on them. The Mavics spin true and the spokes feel tensioned to the touch. I weigh 190lbs and have approx 2000 miles on the Mavics. I have a Park Tool Tension meter and was wondering if I should re-tension the Mavics to reduce flex. I also suspect that the wheels will flex regardless and if it's not broke don't fix it. Opinions please?

oldpotatoe
04-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I have a pair of 09 Mavic Ksyrium Elites that have served me well. I also have a 32 spoke wheels that came with my Wabi SS that weigh 1725 grams. The ss set is rock solid without a hint of flex. The Mavics however, flex and creek when out of the saddle and really cranking on them. The Mavics spin true and the spokes feel tensioned to the touch. I weigh 190lbs and have approx 2000 miles on the Mavics. I have a Park Tool Tension meter and was wondering if I should re-tension the Mavics to reduce flex. I also suspect that the wheels will flex regardless and if it's not broke don't fix it. Opinions please?

Get a dropper and put a drop of lube or boiled Lindseed oil at each place where spoke touches rim/hub. As for flexy, yep, they kinda are. Spoke tension should be in the 100kgf range, front, drive side rear. If Ya raise too much you'll pull a nipple thru the rim. Also take the FH body off and oil the bushings and the pawls. I use Mobil One, cheap and doesn't get thick with cold. That can also 'clunk', make noise.