PDA

View Full Version : More Classifieds BS

RobJ
04-04-2015, 12:09 AM
So I guess now it's proper in the classifieds instead of telling a prospective buyer that "someone else already said they will take the item (and requested my paypal address)", you give all interested parties your paypal address and see who pays first and refund all the runner ups? Mind you the time between saying "I will take it" and paying was less than 2 hours. If you are going to take that tact, put it in eBay.

ultraman6970
04-04-2015, 12:18 AM
Looks like you got a not too cool type of local ebay type of transaction.

Dead Man
04-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Well this is what we have the feedback thread for... so people can post experiences that others will then investigate before doing business.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72345

Wasn't "lwkwafi," was it?

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Admit that is/was tacky, but how many here can attest to the "I'll take it, right now what's your paypal? Then disappear? OK, life happens and even I have gone MIA, but still eventually you gotta commit.

Bruce K
04-04-2015, 06:35 AM
While I see this issue has moved to the Feedback thread in the Classifieds, I also noticed that the seller in this matter had a very low post count

Personally, and NOT wearing my mod hat here, I prefer to do business with established forum members / those with a history of posting away from the Classifieds on a regular basis.

I just feel that people who are "invested" in this place would be a more reliable transaction partner

Not saying that the member with 35 or so posts isn't reliable, it's just that I would be more careful with folks I don't "know"

BK

Cicli
04-04-2015, 06:52 AM
While I see this issue has moved to the Feedback thread in the Classifieds, I also noticed that the seller in this matter had a very low post count

Personally, and NOT wearing my mod hat here, I prefer to do business with established forum members / those with a history of posting away from the Classifieds on a regular basis.

I just feel that people who are "invested" in this place would be a more reliable transaction partner

Not saying that the member with 35 or so posts isn't reliable, it's just that I would be more careful with folks I don't "know"

BK

Agreed, I am new here compared to many and have done some buying and selling. I work hard to establish myself as a contributing member as wheel as a reliable trading partner. I would encourage other new members such as myself to do the same. Be valuable. I think if someone joins up, runs up a post count with BS just to be in the classifieds they should be tossed. You need to be a valuable member here. The established long time members take alot of pride in this place and deserve new members to be valuable.

OtayBW
04-04-2015, 08:15 AM
I think if someone joins up, runs up a post count with BS just to be in the classifieds they should be tossed.I don't know that they need to be tossed, but I will say that people need to have an idea about who they're dealing with. I learned my lesson buying a POS from someone on here who, although he has a ~moderate post count, has virtually nothing other than B/S. No more purchases from flippers for me.

lonoeightysix
04-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Mind you the time between saying "I will take it" and paying was less than 2 hours.

It should take you far less time than that to PM "I will take it" and to log into PP and complete the transaction. If the price is "a deal", of course people are going to be clamoring over one another for it.

On the other side, the seller should have immediately notified the remainder of the buyers on the not available status.

marciero
04-04-2015, 09:06 AM
It should take you far less time than that to PM "I will take it" and to log into PP and complete the transaction.

Maybe we all have different ideas about what constitutes a reasonable amount of time between committing to buy and payment. I would think a few hours, to allow those who are, for example, in the middle of something at work, or who may have to make bank a transfer, or who are on a mobile device that does not facilitate paypal easily and would rather do on a computer, etc, etc.

RobJ
04-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Maybe we all have different ideas about what constitutes a reasonable amount of time between committing to buy and payment. I would think a few hours, to allow those who are, for example, in the middle of something at work, or who may have to make bank a transfer, or who are on a mobile device that does not facilitate paypal easily and would rather do on a computer, etc, etc.

Right. Two hours at 9:00 at night, when I waited nearly 10 hours for him to respond to my request for PP info seems a little quick. I was around all day waiting to send the funds.

At the end of the day it's an expensive bike part. I will survive :-). But it's just not the way I choose to do business. I posted in the Feedback instead. Thanks.

Steve in SLO
04-04-2015, 10:59 AM
As a buyer if I am going to be unable to complete the PayPal transaction within a few minutes, I will inform the seller that I'm going out for a bike ride, going to work, etc. and give them the timeframe for payment. I have always received a positive response and a thanks for letting them know.

RobJ
04-04-2015, 11:25 AM
As a buyer if I am going to be unable to complete the PayPal transaction within a few minutes, I will inform the seller that I'm going out for a bike ride, going to work, etc. and give them the timeframe for payment. I have always received a positive response and a thanks for letting them know.

I totally agree and I have done that myself (as buyer) and had others do it when I am selling. I have waited a day or two for a buyer to get things squared away and pay. The case here is that the seller simply kept telling everyone the item was available and giving out his PP to everyone and the first to send got it and everyone else got a refund. It wasn't a case of an unresponsive buyer.

R3awak3n
04-04-2015, 11:35 AM

BK

I think he has over 900 posts, thats is certainly not a low amount of posts.
I have to say i have only done good deals here with low and high post count but i always check what the member has been up to by doing a quick search, specially if its an expensive part.

seanile
04-04-2015, 12:50 PM
if people are in them middle of something or have to take care of something before buying, then say so. otherwise, saying, "i'll take it right now" means such.

odin99
04-04-2015, 12:55 PM
could be worse i guess. i once went to buy a bike on craigslist - i responded right when it was posted, but it took me 30min to get there. when i got there, 2 other guys were already there! the seller had given his address to everyone who emailed and they were all showing up! what a waste of time. he gave no indication that it essentially was a race to his house.

makoti
04-04-2015, 03:09 PM
It should take you far less time than that to PM "I will take it" and to log into PP and complete the transaction. If the price is "a deal", of course people are going to be clamoring over one another for it.

On the other side, the seller should have immediately notified the remainder of the buyers on the not available status.

It has happened that I saw something & wanted it, but couldn't pay until I got home & away from a work computer (which will allow me to surf here, but not log into PP). So, there are things that are hard to control. Communication. Just tell the person when they can expect payment. If they are cool with it, everyone remains happy.

Ken Robb
04-04-2015, 03:28 PM
could be worse i guess. i once went to buy a bike on craigslist - i responded right when it was posted, but it took me 30min to get there. when i got there, 2 other guys were already there! the seller had given his address to everyone who emailed and they were all showing up! what a waste of time. he gave no indication that it essentially was a race to his house.
I gather he didn't turn it into an on-site auction though. :)