PDA

View Full Version : Fenders and racks

roguedog
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Am looking to get a rack like a 1up or a kuat that holds bikes on trays. Looking at pictures these racks secure the bike via hook that seems to "cinch" the wheels down.

Do these racks basically not work with bikes with fenders?

Thanks!

stien
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Pretty much. Look into a fork clamp one? Take the front wheel off etc. won't be so fun for disc.

eddief
04-03-2015, 11:15 AM
http://www.1upusa.com/product-fendercushion.html

or this workaround:

http://heilbron.com/1up-usa-rack-and-bikes-with-fenders/

pdmtong
04-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Same "surprise"...I have a Thule T2 and wanted to transport my CX that was already converted to rain/fender mode. Argh, can't do it!

The arm clamp for the front wheel needs to cinch in a location now covered by a fender.

I put the bike inside the vehicle to haul it.

sfscott
04-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Saw the title and was expecting strats, teles, and ladies....

JeffS
04-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Yea, I carry a number of bikes with fenders and went with a Thule Doubletrack.

crownjewelwl
04-04-2015, 03:31 PM
I've used the 1up on a fendered bike without issue

roguedog
04-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks all. Hmm.. might have to think about this more. I don't often take the fendered bike but it'd be kind of a bummer to not have the flexibility. There's the added on complexity since it also has a rack.

Looks like the only Thule DT can accommodate all scenarios. I don't think any other model, Thule or not, has this frame clamp, right? Any concerns about frame scarring of any type with this type of style? I don't have carbon but might transport friend bikes that are carbon...

thanks all

pdmtong
04-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Saw the title and was expecting strats, teles, and ladies....

since the OP is a lady, your expectations were mis-aligned

Thanks all. Hmm.. might have to think about this more. I don't often take the fendered bike but it'd be kind of a bummer to not have the flexibility. There's the added on complexity since it also has a rack.

Looks like the only Thule DT can accommodate all scenarios. I don't think any other model, Thule or not, has this frame clamp, right? Any concerns about frame scarring of any type with this type of style? I don't have carbon but might transport friend bikes that are carbon...
thanks all

anytime you hang a bike via arms through the main triangle, or clamp it via jaws on the DT, you risk scratching at the best and crimping at the worst.

I suppose it depends on how "nice" your friends carbon bikes are, and how much they care about that kind of thing. I purposely bought the Thule so I could carry bikes from kids 20", DH, 29er, and road without any paint or scratch implications. Of course it isnt perfect....weighs 40#s, hard to store, expensive.

Here's my suggestion. get the tray style hitch rack since its the most secure and easiest to load but install sheldon nuts to attach your front fender. that way you can easily pull the front fender when you travel and still use the tray rack. buy the rack for the majority of use cases, not the minority.

I dont leave the rack on the car. I bought a wheeled dolly form Orchard to set the rack on and that lets me roll it around to store it since lugging a 40# weird shaped hunk of metal isnt so convenient..

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/sheldon_fender_nuts

bart998
04-05-2015, 04:54 PM
I've used this rack for many years. Works well on family and touring bikes.... don't think I'd use it on carbon or ultralight frames. It does work on odd shaped and suspension frames and doesn't require taking off the wheels.

http://hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/hitch-racks/trailrider-hitch-rack.htm

JeffS
04-05-2015, 05:33 PM

thanks all

Don't worry about carbon. Worry more about paint. The foam is going to touch the finish, and wind/movement is going to create some friction.

My clear coated carbon Niner shows no signs of wear. Two of my painted bikes have minor spots after years of use. Some random person looking at the bikes would probably never notice. I see it because I know it's there.

If you have a show bike that you want to keep pristine, or are frequently taking really long trips at highway speeds, you might want a different kind of rack. For almost everyone else though, it's a non-issue.