PDA

View Full Version : Campy Cassettes Question

LiveFreeOrDie
04-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a new (or if I can find a nice one here) Campy cassette to go with my Record group. I currently have a Record Exa Drive 12-21 that is too small for me. I'm wondering how the quality is of the new Veloce cassettes compared to a Chorus cassette? There is quite a jump in price between the two. Not looking at a Record cassette. Hard to justify the cost of them.

Thanks!

AngryScientist
04-02-2015, 10:24 AM
veloce cassettes work great, i use them exclusively for my 9 and 10 speed bikes. there is, IMO, no reason to go to the higher groups for consumables like cassettes. go veloce, all the quality, 1/4 the price.

LiveFreeOrDie
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
veloce cassettes work great, i use them exclusively for my 9 and 10 speed bikes. there is, IMO, no reason to go to the higher groups for consumables like cassettes. go veloce, all the quality, 1/4 the price.

That's what I was thinking. I knew I wasn't crazy! :)

Ralph
04-02-2015, 10:28 AM
They shift the same, same ramps and shift aids, same hard steel. Only difference I can tell is a few more grams since they are all individual cogs, and not a few larger cogs on carrier.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a new (or if I can find a nice one here) Campy cassette to go with my Record group. I currently have a Record Exa Drive 12-21 that is too small for me. I'm wondering how the quality is of the new Veloce cassettes compared to a Chorus cassette? There is quite a jump in price between the two. Not looking at a Record cassette. Hard to justify the cost of them.

Thanks!

Least expensive compatible cogset and chain for these consumables. Veloce/Centaur, both. Samo for shimano, 105 level stuff works/lasts great, 10s or 11s.

R3awak3n
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Same here, always pick veloce or centaur (I like the 10 speed 12-27 centaur cassette, a bit more expensive but no veloce in that ratio or I would go veloce.

fogrider
04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Hard to justify the cost of them.

Thanks!

As others have said, it's hard to justify paying top dollar for consumables. But there seems to be a fair number of folks that are willing to pay top dollar for the "best" and stare at it for a few years, then sell it...http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4920180108.html

thwart
04-02-2015, 11:02 AM
A devil's advocate/weight weenie view… ;)

Record level cassettes may make a bit of sense when you get into the bigger cogs, like a 13-29. Then you're saving something like 75 gms, and will probably be on a bike (or used for an event) that will be primarily climbing.

Like a lot of other stuff discussed here, the benefit is undoubtedly more psychologic than physiologic. But there you are.

LiveFreeOrDie
04-02-2015, 11:03 AM
13-26 Veloce sounds like a nice set up

Ruimteaapje
04-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Same here. Several bikes with Campagnolo 10sp Record/Chorus and I allways buy Veloce cassettes as replacements. No noticeable difference in shifting performance.

FlashUNC
04-02-2015, 11:05 AM
If you're buying new 10 speed bits, your choices pretty much end at Centaur these days, even for consumables, no?

But as the others mentioned, you shouldn't notice much of a difference. Just find the gearing that works for you at the cheapest price.

El Chaba
04-02-2015, 11:47 AM
There is an advantage to having the larger cogs on a carrier as in the higher level cassettes from the standpoint that they are much less likely to indent the cassette carrier---especially in larger cog sizes. Having said that, the deep Campag pattern splines are far less prone to that type of damage than are the Shimano/Sarm pattern splines....

soulspinner
04-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Race wheels with Record, otherwise Chorus steel 4 11s Campy, Veloce on my 10 speed bike.

soulspinner
04-02-2015, 12:51 PM
If you're buying new 10 speed bits, your choices pretty much end at Centaur these days, even for consumables, no?

But as the others mentioned, you shouldn't notice much of a difference. Just find the gearing that works for you at the cheapest price.

10 speed Veloce cassettes are available..............

rwsaunders
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
After a few rides, the Veloce cassettes lose their sheen which makes them look like any other cassette. The savings that you realize can be applied to other forms of entertainment...

makoti
04-02-2015, 01:42 PM
If Veloce came in 11, I'd use it there, too. All my 10's are Veloce.

schwa86
04-02-2015, 06:06 PM
At the risk of taking this thread completely off-course, if you need an 11 spd Campy cassette, what say all of you to Miche and/or BBB?

donevwil
04-02-2015, 06:55 PM
At the risk of taking this thread completely off-course, if you need an 11 spd Campy cassette, what say all of you to Miche and/or BBB?

I was not pleased with two Miche attempts. Shift quality was OK, not as smooth as Veloce, but functional. Campys work well under load, Miches benefit from backing off a bit. The bad part was that each cassette had one warped cog. Took way too long for me to figure that one out. No experience with BBB, but I do have two IRD Campy wide range cassettes. They shift similarly to the Miche, but don't have the warped cog issue plus the wide range (one 12-32 and one 11-34) makes them indispensable.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
I was not pleased with two Miche attempts. Shift quality was OK, not as smooth as Veloce, but functional. Campys work well under load, Miches benefit from backing off a bit. The bad part was that each cassette had one warped cog. Took way too long for me to figure that one out. No experience with BBB, but I do have two IRD Campy wide range cassettes. They shift similarly to the Miche, but don't have the warped cog issue plus the wide range (one 12-32 and one 11-34) makes them indispensable.

Interesting. My only experience with Miche is we bought 2-3 to 'see', found each had a....warped cog..10s..seems they still have issues. Sold a few BBB, IRD, similar quality..also no bent, warped, miss made cogs tho.