PDA

View Full Version : Brake Shoe Question

UKBROOKLYN
04-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Ok group brain I have a brake question.

I have been running Kool Stop Salmon on my old merlin.. great pads
Just completed the build on my new IF Crown Jewel and it's all Campy SR 2014.
I am using the same wheels. Campy Neutron Ultras..

So far the SR pads seem to be quite a bit less effective.

1) Do I just need to run them a few miles to get them worn in a bit or is the Campy pad inherently less effective than the Kool Stop salmon. ??

2) Is the Kool Strop Black as Effective as the Salmon in the dry ??

donevwil
04-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Ok group brain I have a brake question.

I have been running Kool Stop Salmon on my old merlin.. great pads
Just completed the build on my new IF Crown Jewel and it's all Campy SR 2014.
I am using the same wheels. Campy Neutron Ultras..

So far the SR pads seem to be quite a bit less effective.

1) Do I just need to run them a few miles to get them worn in a bit or is the Campy pad inherently less effective than the Kool Stop salmon. ??

2) Is the Kool Strop Black as Effective as the Salmon in the dry ??

My experience:

1) Campy pads are not as effective in "normal" conditions as Kool Stop Salmons. Caveat, Salmons eat rims in the wet and dirty and Campy black pads are pretty good all things considered. For me (230#) Salmons are essential. My wife (much, much lighter than me) prefers KS Salmon, but is 100% OK with Campy blacks.

2)No, in my one experience Campy black was superior than Kool Stop black. The difference between KS Salmon and Campy black was smaller than that between KS black and Campy black.

3) I recommend considering Kool Stop dual compound. I run these on my wet bike (because Salmons are my rims) and have been very pleasantly surprised. It's really been the best of both worlds.

UKBROOKLYN
04-02-2015, 06:59 AM
So If I switch to KS Black (I never ride this bike in the wet-plus don't love the Salmon look on my SR bike) I will get almost the same stopping power as KS Salmon on the dry and definitely improve over the Campy SR standard pads ??

Thanks.

AngryScientist
04-02-2015, 07:06 AM
before you do anything, clean your rims with denatured alcohol or something similar and give the brake pads a good scuff with sandpaper. that generally works wonders for improving braking with any pad/rim.

that said, for dry weather, KS black or swiss stop green seem to work equally excellent in my experience.

UKBROOKLYN
04-02-2015, 07:57 AM
I will ride a hundred miles or so on the new pads to see if they improve.. (I do all the usual rim and pad maintenance stuff).. If not I guess i will do KS Black..

sandyrs
04-02-2015, 08:41 AM
So If I switch to KS Black (I never ride this bike in the wet-plus don't love the Salmon look on my SR bike) I will get almost the same stopping power as KS Salmon on the dry and definitely improve over the Campy SR standard pads ??

Thanks.

That's not what the first reply said:

Campy black was superior than Kool Stop black

Just keep running the salmon pads if you like the way they stop. I've heard of lots of aesthetic nitpicks, many of them my own, but never in my life would I choose a brake pad based on appearance.

UKBROOKLYN
04-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Are KS Black equal to KS Salmon in the Dry ??