PDA

View Full Version : Quick Philly Rides?

572cv
04-01-2015, 08:36 PM
i have to go down to Philadelphia (PA) over the weekend. Sunday looks like a good day, and I could sneak out for a little ride. Any suggestions from area pals for a 30-40 mile spin ? I'll be based in Ft. Washington. Thanks!

Fondri
04-02-2015, 02:46 AM
My regular ride is the Schuylkill River Trail if you start in Manayunk and ride to Phoenixville and back it's about 40 miles. There are minimal street crossings. A good place to pick up the trail (towpath) would be at Cotton near Main street in Manayunk. I believe there is a paid parking lot there since street parking can be a challenge. or you could pick up the trail at the other end or in Valley Forge.

Matt-H
04-02-2015, 07:36 AM
I ride mostly in Upper Bucks County, but my recommendation is to park in Doylestown or even a bit further northeast and stay North of 202. Riding between New Hope and say, Pipersville has some very nice riding. Generally, the further North you go the quieter the roads. The roads on the other side of the Delaware River are also very nice but on the bridges you must walk your bike. Bummer. Ride with GPS has many routes out of Doylestown. Central Bucks Cycling Club (CBCC) should have some routes on the site. Pm me with any questions!

572cv
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, you guys !

Ray
04-02-2015, 09:18 AM
My regular ride is the Schuylkill River Trail if you start in Manayunk and ride to Phoenixville and back it's about 40 miles. There are minimal street crossings. A good place to pick up the trail (towpath) would be at Cotton near Main street in Manayunk. I believe there is a paid parking lot there since street parking can be a challenge. or you could pick up the trail at the other end or in Valley Forge.

That's a great trail, but dead flat for the most part - if that's what you want, great, but be aware. I used to do the last 15 miles of a century I used to do every year on this trail, and it was pretty nice to have the last 15 miles easy (because the middle 60 is anything but!), but I find that trail get's pretty boring as a stand-alone ride.

The best riding in the area, for both adding in hills and much less traffic are pretty far out of the city. Of course you could always just head out to Manyunk and do hill repeats on the Wall... :cool: That's just out Kelly Drive and when you get into the town of Manyunk (can't miss it), ask for directions to the Wall - it's a bit of a landmark...

-Ray