PDA

View Full Version : Kovachi Custom Wheels

rob137
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
I need a new set of wheels for my Kirk. The last set was built by Mike Garcia of Odds and Endos and was superb. Kovachi is local so I was thinking of going with him this time around.

Any intel?

Thanks

jerk
04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
building a good set of wheels is not brain science or rocket surgery. why people attach such msytic bs to it the jerk will never know. you don't need to be some 87 year old hungarian guy in a rocking chair in a basement listening to a transistor radio to build a wheel as good as anyone else. you just need to know how to build wheels. the jerk is sure koybayashi or whomever the heck he is can do a fine job.

jerk

(please for god's sake; (who will rise on sunday and if he sees his shadow we'll have three more weeks of winter,) check the archives and read the walrus' posts on wheelbuilding. imho bro. and sorry about making fun of god. but remember its not important if you believe in god, what's important is if he believes in you.)

shinomaster
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Jerk, have you seen the 87 year old Turkish wheel builder at ATA bike in Boston? HE really fits your description perfectly.

ergott
04-15-2006, 08:18 AM
imho bro. and sorry about making fun of god. but remember its not important if you believe in god, what's important is if he believes in you.)

I was listening to Fresh Air last night too. Good interview.

saab2000
04-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Get Neutrons and be done with it. Tubular version with Veloflex Criteriums. But they can only be glued on by a Djarum-smoking Turk or a Lucky Strike smoking 87-year old Italian who remembers riding with Fausto Coppi. Otherwise they won't be as good as they could be.

Handbuilt wheels are fine. Ask Boonen. But for my money I ain't leaving the Neutron family.

Fixed
04-15-2006, 01:11 PM
bro if your getting hand builts get your shop to do it . I'd get what saab said though . i.m.h.o. cheers

shinomaster
04-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Get Neutrons and be done with it. Tubular version with Veloflex Criteriums. But they can only be glued on by a Djarum-smoking Turk or a Lucky Strike smoking 87-year old Italian who remembers riding with Fausto Coppi. Otherwise they won't be as good as they could be.

Handbuilt wheels are fine. Ask Boonen. But for my money I ain't leaving the Neutron family.

What if they stop making them?

saab2000
04-15-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll have to quit riding. Or get Eurus.

I would never try to tell anyone what to do (riiiiiight....) but I sure like my Nucleon/Neutron wheels. They have been a real plus. No, I don't go faster. But I like the solid, stiff feel they have.

But I am somewhat intrigued by the 2006 Eurus as well.

shinomaster
04-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I just put the neutrons back on my cannondale and I just love how they make the bike feel. They really are sweet riding wheels. I have a new set of 2005 eurus hoops in my closet that I havent used yet.....I'm not sure if I need them anymore!

Grant McLean
04-15-2006, 02:46 PM
building a good set of wheels is not brain science or rocket surgery. why people attach such msytic bs to it the jerk will never know. you don't need to be some 87 year old hungarian guy in a rocking chair in a basement listening to a transistor radio to build a wheel as good as anyone else. you just need to know how to build wheels. the jerk is sure koybayashi or whomever the heck he is can do a fine job.

Word.

Build your own wheels. The only difference between a wheelbuilder and
you is the number of spokes they've tensioned. Better get started, or
you'll never catch up.

-g

rob137
04-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Word.

Build your own wheels. The only difference between a wheelbuilder and
you is the number of spokes they've tensioned. Better get started, or
you'll never catch up.

-g

But, these wheel builders really don't charge that much for the labor. How can I compete? What would I be saving 50-60 a set?

shaq-d
04-15-2006, 02:59 PM
But, these wheel builders really don't charge that much for the labor. How can I compete? What would I be saving 50-60 a set?

you'd be saving yourself the burden of not having the knowledge and skill to do it...! it is extremely satisfying to build your own wheels. probably the most satisfying thing i've done with my bikes mech-wise.

sd