PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Powergrip pedal straps?

texbike
03-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Greetings Paceliners.

Have any of you fine fellows (or ladies) used the Powergrip pedal straps before? If so, what did you think?

I'm thinking about picking up a set of the straps for my around-town bike and would love to hear any experiences that you've had.

Thanks!

Texbike

oldpotatoe
03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Greetings Paceliners.

Have any of you fine fellows (or ladies) used the Powergrip pedal straps before? If so, what did you think?

I'm thinking about picking up a set of the straps for my around-town bike and would love to hear any experiences that you've had.

Thanks!

Texbike

Sold some, turn foot, slid in, turn foot inboard(heel in). Works for some, some say made ankle/knee kinda sore.

Mark McM
03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
Sold some, turn foot, slid in, turn foot inboard(heel in). Works for some, some say made ankle/knee kinda sore.

That was my experience when I first tried them (about 15 years ago). To get any foot retention from the straps, you have to actively apply an inward twisting force at the ankle. That's not a problem for a short duration, but for rides of any meaningful length my ankle twisting muscles got tires and sore. I finally gave up and got some walkable clipless shoes/pedals.

pinkshogun
03-31-2015, 09:25 AM
how about traditional clips and straps or half clips from velo orange or these which i just noticed

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/toe-clips-straps-shoes/hold-fast-foot-straps.html

EPIC! Stratton
03-31-2015, 09:32 AM
My experience with them is that they are just as bad as normal pedal/cage combos. That said, I rode cages for about 4 years before I started riding clipless.

Go clipless. They're better in every way. If you need something where you can also ride in a normal shoe, consider something like Shimano M324's, where one side is a clip and the other is a platform.

http://media.rei.com/media/668198Lrg.jpg

texbike
03-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was interested in the Powergrips so that I wouldn't have to use a cycling-specific shoe. Maybe I'll just put a set of big, platform pedals on it and call it a day.

Texbike

mktng
03-31-2015, 10:01 AM
http://www.ynotcycle.com/products/pedalstrap/ (get these, or this kind)

had the pedal straps you asked about. they felt weird, were uncomfortable and really ugly.

plus they require a tool to adjust if your shoe or boot is too big or too small.

p nut
03-31-2015, 10:09 AM
I have some DIY Powergrips on my rando bike. Just a couple 1" straps of leather bolted to the pedals. I like it a lot. Especially when I head out for mixed terrain rides, helps keep my feet on the pedals on sketchy descents. I have them somewhat loose so that my feet do have some wiggle room, but tight enough to keep them from falling off.

Another type of pedals/straps to look into is something like these Fyxations (http://www.amazon.com/Fyxation-PD1051-P-P-Gates-Pedal-Strap/dp/B009R01TC2). Nice and wide foot straps, easily adjustable if you're wearing different kind of shoes, etc. You can also get some real cheap straps for your existing pedals on ebay (from China).

All that said, if this will just be a townie bike, I'd probably just get a nice set of flat pedals.

redir
03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was interested in the Powergrips so that I wouldn't have to use a cycling-specific shoe. Maybe I'll just put a set of big, platform pedals on it and call it a day.

Texbike

That's what I do. Big platforms with little spike studs work great. In fact that's all I ride on my mountain bike these days, with a 5/10 shoe. But on my townie I've got some platforms that are perfect for the job.

djg21
03-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Greetings Paceliners.

Thanks!

Texbike

My wife used them on an old mountain bike before she got used to clipless. I wasn't impressed.

Ken Robb
03-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Texbike
This flat pedal only idea works well for me on several bikes. For best results wear shoes with rubber soles that are not too knobby. My favorites are boat shoes like, but not limited to, Topsiders. They allow me to start pushing forward on the pedals well before top-dead-center. If the soles have big knobs they may lock your foot into only a few positions and they may be uncomfortable. I make these comments about the shoe/pedal interface using MKS Touring pedals or some that are similar. It might not be a problem if you use pedals like Grip Kings" as sold by Rivendell.

I tried a few rides with the straps you asked aboutand I think you can find an adjustment where there is some retention but steady inward pressure is not required but that adjustment would be so critical that it would only be ideal for one pair of shoes due to variations in the dimensions of different shoe models.

mg2ride
03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
I ride with a hipster that uses them with platform pedals on a fixie and is very happy. That said, they don't really allow you to pull up all that much. More about just having you foot not slip off.

I have found that true platform pedals (Crank Brother 5050) work fine without them. I few rides to get use to not being clipped is required along with some flat, thin, soft sole shoes. I use some shoes by Tevo just because I like to be stylish but Vans, Stans or Chucks work great. Boat shoes will work but ATMO I prefer something that I can tie snug and not look like a doofus with socks on.

Ken Robb
03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
stylish but Vans, Stans or Chucks work great. Boat shoes will work but ATMO I prefer something that I can tie snug and not look like a doofus with socks on.

Hey, I can lace boat shoes plenty tight. To me at my age a guy wearing boat shoes looks like he may have just stepped off his yacht while a guy wearing Vans or Chucks looks like he lost his skateboard. I prefer the former. :) :banana:

p nut
03-31-2015, 12:43 PM
I sometimes wear Giro Rumble shoes, which double nicely as casual shoes, but with SPD compatibility. Somewhat stiff soles, but unless you're doing a walk-a-thon, they're not bad at all. They also make some classy leather ones.

...consider something like Shimano M324's, where one side is a clip and the other is a platform.

http://media.rei.com/media/668198Lrg.jpg

I've got a pair of these that I will gladly trade for some M540 pedals, if anyone's interested.

xjoex
03-31-2015, 01:11 PM
I tried them and they did not work for me. But, that was just my experience.

When I use flat pedals I like big chunky flats. I like the 45Nrth Heiruspecs. http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-45nrth-heiruspecs-pedals.html
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QXR9_mhE7KE/UODEDQPCW9I/AAAAAAAAJtU/3kuE_JyUuUU/s640/PC260156.jpg

-Joe

texbike
03-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Wow! Great feedback everyone. Thanks!!!

Yeah, I'm looking for a set up that would work well with a low-profile sneaker ala Vans, Airwalks, etc. or sandals.

The boat shoe idea sounds great Ken, but I'm closer to the demographic that would be more concerned about their lost skateboard than looking like they just stepped off their yacht (not that there's anything wrong with that...). :)

Texbike

velomonkey
03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Way back in the day, like 20 years ago, anyone who did mid-atlantic MTB racing expert/pro class knew a guy named Gunnar Shogren - aside from having a badass almost Tom Clancy sounding name, Gunnar had a ponytail, was sponsored by Diamond Back and powerstraps. SPD was all the rage and Mag 21 Rock Shox.

Powerstraps didn't seem to slow down Gunnar.

pdmtong
03-31-2015, 03:50 PM
power straps look good on paper but in the field not so much, as previously noted - plus they can potentially scratch/rub/mess up the upper on a better leather shoe.

I'd vote for a modern platform mtb and dial the pins way down. something basic like a crank brothers 5050. I have a few pairs and have been happy with them.

dustyrider
03-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Diety compound pedals. They're my next used "deal"!

mg2ride
03-31-2015, 06:35 PM
I also have some of the ergons.

Don't love them don't hate them and not as cool looking on a road bike as I had hoped.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

giverdada
03-31-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm biased.

That said, HOLD FAST are great straps, made in Baltimore (designed and formerly manufactured in Brooklyn) by people I know, and they work effin well.

Similar idea of the PowerGrip or whatever, but better function in all areas. I use them on my commuter bike with Blundstones. I'm not cool enough to wear Vans, particularly when it's snowing out and they might clash with my fenders, but the HoldFast straps are awesome, particularly in the arena of stopping/slowing on a fixie. Lots more support than straps and cages of yore. You can also readily adjust them on the fly (lots of velcro there), as well as set and forget them. One winter, I had them on too tight because the pedals I had put them on were plastic, so I would slip unless I tightened them, so I tightened the hell out of them, bailed super hard on a hill of ice and gravel, and had to loosen them to detach myself from my bike. Awesome straps. You can also get them in safety-first colors like blaze orange or reflective. Rock.

http://holdfastordie.com

EPIC! Stratton
03-31-2015, 08:59 PM
I'm biased.

That said, HOLD FAST are great straps, made in Baltimore (designed and formerly manufactured in Brooklyn) by people I know, and they work effin well.

Similar idea of the PowerGrip or whatever, but better function in all areas. I use them on my commuter bike with Blundstones. I'm not cool enough to wear Vans, particularly when it's snowing out and they might clash with my fenders, but the HoldFast straps are awesome, particularly in the arena of stopping/slowing on a fixie. Lots more support than straps and cages of yore. You can also readily adjust them on the fly (lots of velcro there), as well as set and forget them. One winter, I had them on too tight because the pedals I had put them on were plastic, so I would slip unless I tightened them, so I tightened the hell out of them, bailed super hard on a hill of ice and gravel, and had to loosen them to detach myself from my bike. Awesome straps. You can also get them in safety-first colors like blaze orange or reflective. Rock.

http://holdfastordie.com

I'm still in favor of clip less, but that said these are pretty awesome. Have ridden these multiple times and found the worked very well.

victoryfactory
04-01-2015, 07:25 AM
My experience is that because they go diagonally across the top
of your foot, they apply a weird, uncomfortable feel.
They get tighter if you rotate your foot.
They also feel restrictive on rides longer than 5 miles.
There used to be a slide in foot holder that looks like an old toe
clip without the strap. Maybe that would be more natural feeling?
VF

kimpw
04-01-2015, 07:28 AM
I use VP-001 pedals, and they are super nice. Very grippy, even in pouring rain.

wallymann
04-01-2015, 09:05 AM
they locate your feet, but are quick in-and-out. perfect for the non-cycling shoes i wear when doing around-town stuff on a bike.

http://media.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/500/NS-MTC-NCL-TOP.jpg