PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay x1's: How do I get the $*#(@$ dust cap off?!

makoti
03-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Got an old set of x1's without the screw to remove the dust cap. I'd like to lube them to see if I can get away without a rebuild, but I can't figure out how to get the cap off. I can't get a small screwdriver of any ilk under it. Suggestions? Tips? And can I get the newer version of the cap?

cmg
03-30-2015, 10:46 PM
put the grease nozzle in the screw hole and squirt. speedpay says use a sharp pick. http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/grease.pdf or go get a screwdriver for glasses (the temple screws) and sharpen it. walmart opticle dept sells them for like $2.

Tony
03-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Utility knife blade, use the tip of the blade to pop off the cap.

foo_fighter
03-30-2015, 11:58 PM
after you get it out, switch to the new version with the screw.

alancw3
03-31-2015, 03:56 AM
about five or six years ago i had this problem and used a awl the pry them off. called speed play first to ask and they actually volunteered to send me the newer style with the screw free.

makoti
03-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the tips. I've tried the eyeglasses screwdriver with no luck. Didn't think about a razor knife. I'll try that tonight & hopefully with get the damn things off AND avoid a trip to the ER.
My LBS said they would rebuild them for $40, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. So, if no luck tonight, I'll be doing that.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the tips. I've tried the eyeglasses screwdriver with no luck. Didn't think about a razor knife. I'll try that tonight & hopefully with get the damn things off AND avoid a trip to the ER.
My LBS said they would rebuild them for $40, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. So, if no luck tonight, I'll be doing that.

$40 including parts? Yes, very reasonable. New 'puck', outboard bearings, o ring, new cap. These pedals, if taken apart and cleaned regularly(easy, btw) last a long time.

berserk87
04-01-2015, 09:49 AM
I had the same trouble with an older pair of X-2's. I have an awl and pick kit that I got for about $7. I had to auger a hole in the center of the cap and use a hook pick to pull it out.

As recommended previously, my replacement cap was one with a screw in the center. If you don't go this route, you have to use Speedplay's "Speedy Luber", which is an insert that fits the cavity (sans cap) strictly for lubing.

makoti
04-01-2015, 09:58 PM
As recommended previously, my replacement cap was one with a screw in the center. If you don't go this route, you have to use Speedplay's "Speedy Luber", which is an insert that fits the cavity (sans cap) strictly for lubing.

Ok, this may answer my next question.
I got the cap off. How do I lube this thing? I have two other pairs. Both with the screw cap. Lubed those without a hitch. This one...no way the grease stays put. I'm missing something here. Is it that "Speedy Luber"? I am already using the honest-to-goodness official Speedplay gun. If I have to have that to do this, I'll replace the cap now rather than later. If I do that, lube these just like the other two?

Mr_Gimby
04-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Hate to tell you, but they are meant to be lubed with the cap ON. You insert a grease gun nozzle into the hole in the cap and pump until you get clean grease coming out on the spindle side. Clean off the excess and voila! Done. Cap only needs to come off for removing the spindle, which you won't need to do unless your bearings are shot.

Tony
04-01-2015, 11:35 PM
I got the cap off. How do I lube this thing? I have two other pairs. Both with the screw cap. Lubed those without a hitch. This one...no way the grease stays put. I'm missing something here. Is it that "Speedy Luber"? I am already using the honest-to-goodness official Speedplay gun. If I have to have that to do this, I'll replace the cap now rather than later. If I do that, lube these just like the other two?

If your X1's are like mine you will need to disassemble and lube, very easy to do.
http://speedplay.com/pubs/instructions/X_V2_Combined%20_Instructionss04_21_14%20Web.pdf

Mr_Gimby
04-01-2015, 11:41 PM
If your X1's are like mine you will need to disassemble and lube, very easy to do.
http://speedplay.com/pubs/instructions/X_V2_Combined%20_Instructionss04_21_14%20Web.pdf

If he is trying to "get away without a rebuild" he won't need to disassemble, just do the "Routine X Series Pedal Bearing Lubrication" as outlined in the right column on page 4 of that .pdf you posted. Valuable information there nonetheless!:hello:

berserk87
04-02-2015, 07:10 AM

You are getting some incorrect advice from some others trying to offer help.

The short answer is that if you don't have the Speedy Luber insert, you can add the replacement caps (with the screws) and use the screw holes to squirt lube into the bearings.

The Speedy Luber was essentially a grease port that was inserted after removal of the old-style dust cap. You would take off the dust cap, push the luber in, and squirt grease through the luber hole. When finished, you would have to re-insert the dust caps, which was often a pain.

If you have any questions, PM me. Thanks - Mike

The new dust cap design, with a screw hole, eliminated the need for the luber, as the screw hole now functions as the grease port. For the current X-1 and X-2 models, there is no need to remove the entire dust cap - only the screw - to lube.

makoti
04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
You are getting some incorrect advice from some others trying to offer help.

The short answer is that if you don't have the Speedy Luber insert, you can add the replacement caps (with the screws) and use the screw holes to squirt lube into the bearings.

The Speedy Luber was essentially a grease port that was inserted after removal of the old-style dust cap. You would take off the dust cap, push the luber in, and squirt grease through the luber hole. When finished, you would have to re-insert the dust caps, which was often a pain.

If you have any questions, PM me. Thanks - Mike

The new dust cap design, with a screw hole, eliminated the need for the luber, as the screw hole now functions as the grease port. For the current X-1 and X-2 models, there is no need to remove the entire dust cap - only the screw - to lube.

Thanks Mike. That's what I figured. Going to track done a set of caps for this set of pedals, since the others have them (and lubing was easy).

makoti
04-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Hate to tell you, but they are meant to be lubed with the cap ON. You insert a grease gun nozzle into the hole in the cap and pump until you get clean grease coming out on the spindle side. Clean off the excess and voila! Done. Cap only needs to come off for removing the spindle, which you won't need to do unless your bearings are shot.

Yep, except this set is old, old, old & the cap didn't have the port yet.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2015, 07:56 AM

Disagree tho. Altho the push grease thru is a good interim measure, for great OVH, take it apart. Wee Torx(15?), bolt out, take apart, clean, grease. With the needle bearings running on the spindle, great idea, IMHO. Easy, fast.

makoti
04-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Called Speedplay. Didn't even get past "Caps don't have the port" & they were mailing me out caps. Very happy. Thanks for all the help.