PDA

View Full Version : The Serotta Forum is good for you (me)...

catulle
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
When I first found this place, I was apprehensive about participating. All too often, Internet forums (fora?) are populated by hideous types who make use of the security afforded by the medium to be offensive and rude. However, soon enough, I found myself totally immersed in this hood where humor, camaraderie, and colaboration prevail.

But not only do I get my daily abs work-out from laughing so much when reading some of the posts here, I've learned a lot about modern cycling and bicycles. And about vintage cycling and vintage bicycles too. I've also learned a new language: atmo, imho, iirc, mp, et al... More importantly, I've been able to keep in touch with some good friends.

Today, though, I decided to make use of the opportunity that on Good Friday people here stay home and don't drive because it is supposed to be a sin or something, so ventured to take a ride I had been thinking about for a long time. I hadn't done it before because the ride entails lots of steep hills and I kept postponing it. But how could I postpone the trip once again when the guys at the Serotta Forum are doing centuries (in miles...!) every other day? I could no longer face the keyboard unless I packed my Polar bottle with cold water and headed towards my challenge.

It wasn't a very long ride, some 60 kilometers. But for a flatlander such as myself this trip was like climbing, hell, not the Alps, but the Himalayas. Surprisingly, the ride was not as difficult as I had thought. The C-50, well, now I know when people say "my bike climbs very well". Really, the bicycle seemed to help on the way up. The 23 cog was like having a little motor. On the way up it was drizzling and the wind was blowing pretty hard against me. But I just put my mind in neutral, and my butt in gear.

On the way back, speeding on a pretty uneven road surface got pretty scary at times. The 40cm bars are not the very best for hawling butt down a steep hill on 53X12, either. But if you manage to switch your thoughts to hey, this is fun, then it will be fun. When I finally got back home, the missus said, are you sure you went there, you don't look it. Well, girl, I sure like hell wasn't in Provo, I'm sad to say.

Anyway, my point is that without the Serotta Forum that ride would probably still be waiting. Hey, this a very good place. It is good for my soul and it is good for my body. Thank y'all. :beer:

e-RICHIE
04-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Anyway, my point is that without the Serotta Forum that ride would probably still be waiting. Hey, this a very good place. It is good for my soul and it is good for my body. Thank y'all. :beer:

sweet - (http://www.onlyinternet.net/preceptor/rm118/grandpa.htm)

pdxmech13
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I to owe a lot to this forum. Catulle you should make it a monthly cleansing.
Thanks Ya'll. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Those were for sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Kevan
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Sandy'll teach you a thing or two you don't know anything about.

davids
04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Amen, bro

manet
04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Catulle you should make it a monthly cleansing.

http://rcrumb.net/familygallery/max1.gif

Dr. Doofus
04-14-2006, 05:27 PM
All too often, Internet forums (fora?) are populated by hideous types who make use of the security afforded by the medium to be offensive and rude.

your mother wears army boots

catulle
04-14-2006, 05:53 PM
your mother wears army boots

Hey, my mother can blow your tubies to 10 Bar.

Fixed
04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
bro you are a good dude i.m.h.o.
and your bike (bikes) ain't bad either cheers

Bud
04-14-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree- this forum motivates and entertains me. You dudes seem pretty cool. I think I'd enjoy hanging out in person with most people around here. (Catulle, your library intrigues me.) This is the best place I've found to hang out on the web.

e-RICHIE
04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree- this forum motivates and entertains me. You dudes seem pretty cool. I think I'd enjoy hanging out in person with most people around here. (Catulle, your library intrigues me.) This is the best place I've found to hang out on the web.

this you's for bud.

Sandy
04-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Sandy'll teach you a thing or two you don't know anything about.

Yeah, but Kevan will teach you a thing or two that you don't want to know anything about. :)

Smart Sandy

Bud
04-14-2006, 09:34 PM
this you's for bud.

Yeah, it's too bad my name is not a beer that I really like. . . Such as Dale's Pale Ale: "This Dale's Pale Ale's for You" doesn't ring like the other. . .

mwos
04-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I was thinking along the same lines today and as a "woman in man's world" I'm impressed by the respect and equality on this forum.

I enjoy and learn more from this forum than I do on a woman's forum, and other forums, that I am a member of.

Thank you Serpico for leading me here.

Kathi

Sandy
04-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Yep. It's like a family here, with " respect and equality". Like a very nice family.

:banana: Granddad :banana:

jerk
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
this forum makes the jerk feel smart; which is good for his shallow washed up ego. plus the jerk has met many nice people here.....like roy e. munson and ahm...roy e. munson and some other guys too.
thanks pals,
jerk

shinomaster
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
No where else have i gotten so much sweet free stuff!

Ginger
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Hmmm, was that a hint? :) There's construction between here and Ann Arbor. I *am* running low on basalmic though.

This forum is great. I've travelled vicariously to places I'll probably never ride, I've met great people, and I've learned things about bikes, riding, and Serottas that I'd probably never know if I didn't hang out here. I've learned about rides to take, rides taken, bikes ridden, and why I don't want a too stiff bike.

I've also travelled to places I probably wouldn't have ridden, met great people in person, and built friendships here. What's not to love?

Did I mention that Ben's a great guy?

shinomaster
04-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Ginger..that does remind me that I do need to send you something cute. THanks for checking in on my after my crash btw.

William
04-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I've met some really great people here. On-line and in person.

I LOVE YOU ALL!! :cool:

No where else have i gotten so much sweet free stuff!

Here here. :beer:
I don't think anyone can top the free chainsaw and case of booze the Bradford threw my way. :banana: :banana: ;)

William