PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my saddle level using Grand Cru Seatpost & Fizik Aliante

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 11:05 AM
I currently own four bikes and all of them except for one is running the Velo Orange Gran Cru seatpost using the Fizik Aliante saddle. I have no problems whatsoever getting my Fizik Aliante saddles to level out on three bikes. However, recently I built up a 2006 Felt F1C and wanted to use the Grand Cru seatpost on her using the Aliante saddle. I tried several times to level the saddle but to no avail it will not. The rear bolt bottoms out before the tipped up nose of the saddle can reach level attitude. I checked my other bikes for seat tube angle and they are 73 degrees with the Felt being 73.5. I can't imagine .5 degrees limiting the Grand Cru's adjustment. Has anyone had this happen to them because I'm torn over it. Also, I called Velo Orange today and they commented this issue has happened only a few times in the last four years and they currently attribute the issue to seat tube angle but I beg to differ unless someone can convince me that .5 degrees is the true root cause. Using ACAD the delta in height for my saddle height requirement (31.496" from center of bottom bracket)is only .079". Did Fizik change their rail angle design from years ago because the one I am trying fit up is from 2007. I think what I will try is get the leveled out setup from the other bike and try it on the Felt. Crazy.

MattTuck
03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
You suggested what I would try, which is using a seat post and saddle that you know works. If you are able to replicate the issue with a working saddle/post combination, then that would lend credence to the seat tube angle being an issue.

If not, maybe it is a bad unit that needs to be replaced, or some part of the machining on the threads isn't right.

Hope it works out.

Louis
03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I can't imagine .5 degrees limiting the Grand Cru's adjustment.

If you're right at the limit, then even 0.001 degrees more would not be achievable. Granted it's a small amount, but a limit's a limit.

There may also be some manufacturing tolerances on both the seatpost and the saddle that are going against you. Check the length of the adjustment bolt.

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Check the length of the adjustment bolt.

Length of bolt is not going to help. The rear clamp is bottomed out and adding more length to the forward bolt will do nothing to help out.

Lewis Moon
03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
I can't believe VO would make a post where you couldn't use it on seat angles up to 74+. Many "vintage" bikes had relatively steep SAs, and vintage seems to be their niche. Is the rear of the upper carrier in actual contact with the post? If so you might be able to use a round bastard file to remove some material. If it's the bolt, you may need a trip to Ace Hardware.

Ralph
03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Just get out the round file.

Lewis Moon
03-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Length of bolt is not going to help. The rear clamp is bottomed out and adding more length to the forward bolt will do nothing to help out.

Clamp it in a vise and use a file to remove some material.

christian
03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
If you're right at the limit, then even 0.001 degrees more would not be achievable. Granted it's a small amount, but a limit's a limit.
I, also, enjoy math. This made me LOL.

ultraman6970
03-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Got a similar problem many years ago, we had to file a little bit plus file the lines in the clamp and the seatpost, looked smooth like a campagnolo one, worked fine for centuries. I believe was a cheappo kalloy.

Ralph
03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
The fancy named seat post in the above picture....looks to me like a renamed Kalloy. Should be simple to fix. Just make the slot a tad longer.

eddief
03-30-2015, 12:04 PM
when I turned around the lower clamping part. It seems it should be plain old reversible and not make any difference, but I think it did.

eddief
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
repeat.

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
when I turned around the lower clamping part. It seems it should be plain old reversible and not make any difference, but I think it did.

Funny you mention that because I thought the same thing but it made no difference. The lower clamp is symmetrical.

I sent Fizik a question today asking if they have ever changed their rail design since 2006. We'll see what they say. Honestly, I believe it's either a seatpost manufacturing flaw or the saddle rail angle is not the same as the newer Aliante's I have. I look forward to tonight's check out.

eddief
03-30-2015, 01:04 PM
not sure why it'd make a difference, but try to leave no stone left unturned.

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2014/01/recall-early-vo-seatpost-upper-clamp.html

Mikej
03-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Let some air out of your back / front tire...

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Let some air out of your back / front tire...

Too much air has to be let out in order to obtain the proper angle therefore causing my rims to touch pavement.

93legendti
03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Did you try taking one of the post saddle combos from one of your other bikes and putting it in the Felt to see if it works?

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Did you try taking one of the post saddle combos from one of your other bikes and putting it in the Felt to see if it works?

Will do it tonight after work.

Mikej
03-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Too much air has to be let out in order to obtain the proper angle therefore causing my rims to touch pavement.

Ha ha just kidding, you're frame is prolly crooked!

93legendti
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Will do it tonight after work.

This should give you the answer

jberenyi
03-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Well here is the update. I knew most of you were waiting with baited breath. After work I went down to the local LBS to compare the seatpost with another in stock and we found the problem. It took a little while using calipers but it turns out that the two-bolt clamp assembly was installed incorrectly. It came to me this way so I imagine the company tech put it together incorrectly. It was not an easy find till scrutinized ever so closely because it looks like its symmetrical. All we did was flip the assembly 180 degrees. You would think that Velo Orange would mark the clamp properly for assembly purposes. Anyhow I'm glad we have a record on the net so others can double check their seatpost assembly. I'll bet the several others that Velo got calls on in the past were for this reason and were not attributed to seat tube angle... LOL.

93legendti
03-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Glad you got it figured out and the fix was easy.

Lewis Moon
03-31-2015, 03:17 PM
Well here is the update. I knew most of you were waiting with baited breath. After work I went down to the local LBS to compare the seatpost with another in stock and we found the problem. It took a little while using calipers but it turns out that the two-bolt clamp assembly was installed incorrectly. It came to me this way so I imagine the company tech put it together incorrectly. It was not an easy find till scrutinized ever so closely because it looks like its symmetrical. All we did was flip the assembly 180 degrees. You would think that Velo Orange would mark the clamp properly for assembly purposes. Anyhow I'm glad we have a record on the net so others can double check their seatpost assembly. I'll bet the several others that Velo got calls on in the past were for this reason and were not attributed to seat tube angle... LOL.

BTDT. Unless the clamp assembly (lower or upper) is OVERTLY different, it's really easy to get it wrong. Luckily in my case, I had just had the post/saddle put together right 15 minutes before, so when it wouldn't adjust, I knew I had done something wrong.

SlackMan
03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Glad to hear it's resolved. Now I can get that bait smell off my breath! ;)

Sometime when you have nothing better to do, see "bated" versus "baited."