PDA

View Full Version : New Steel Niner RLT9

Cornfed
03-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Here's a bike I could get excited about ...

http://bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2015/03/30/niner-adds-steel-framed-adventure-bike-its-line#.VRlXK_nF98E

firerescuefin
03-30-2015, 09:06 AM
That is really nice. Glad they are doing something other than the aluminum (not that the aluminum is not a great bike). I hear a carbon is in the works as well. Really like that paint scheme.

sandyrs
03-30-2015, 09:12 AM
That's really nice. Looks like it would be great for ultralight endurance rides, winter training, that sort of thing.

josephr
03-30-2015, 09:19 AM
everything the Macho King is not....just need to pick a color now!

oldpotatoe
03-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Here's a bike I could get excited about ...

http://bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2015/03/30/niner-adds-steel-framed-adventure-bike-its-line#.VRlXK_nF98E

Tough from the pix, but they 'seem' to have fairly short headtubes..I think for gravel road/touring type stuff, they would be longer..IMHO.

echelon_john
03-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Not too bad. The 62 has a 205mm HT, coupled with a 400mm A-C fork and 65mm BB drop. Similar to a CAAD9 CX.

Tough from the pix, but they 'seem' to have fairly short headtubes..I think for gravel road/touring type stuff, they would be longer..IMHO.

sandyrs
03-30-2015, 09:35 AM

If it follows the existing RLT geo, they won't be too too short. http://www.ninerbikes.com/RLT9

bluesea
03-30-2015, 09:39 AM
^ The Al RLT is spec-ed with med-tall HT. Although I already know the answer, my question would be why the tapered HT.

firerescuefin
03-30-2015, 09:41 AM
^ The Al RLT is spec-ed with med-tall HT. Although I already know the answer, my question would be why the tapered HT.

Pretty much all (good option) carbon disc front forks are tapered. I actually have become a fan on my road bike. Haven't ridden enough to have an opinion on my cross/gravel bike.

Cornfed
03-30-2015, 10:35 AM
A bit surprised it's not a TA fork.

GRAVELBIKE
03-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Would like to see a steel fork option.

josephr
03-30-2015, 11:18 AM
looks like they've updated their website...$1450 for a frameset sounds reasonable compared to a Gunnar Hyper-X with a fork...no weights given though.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt9steel

sparky33
03-30-2015, 12:42 PM

sparky33
03-30-2015, 12:44 PM

I think the size 56 stack height of 575 is wrong in the geo chart. The headtube is 20mm longer than the size 53 which has 574 stack....+1mm? I doubt it. http://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt9steel

wrt to actual headtube length... for integrated headsets like this, how much longer does the headtube need to be to give the same effective height of a regular headset + headtube?

In any case, I would prefer '15 salsa warbird.

JAGI410
03-30-2015, 12:53 PM
I was excited until I saw the PF30 BB. Deal breaker!

sparky33
03-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Does anything else think that having a quick-release front and thru-axle rear seems half-assed? It would be nice if the standards could at least be consistent within the same bicycle.

Is there any practical reason for this mix?

ceolwulf
03-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Does anything else think that having a quick-release front and thru-axle rear seems half-assed? It would be nice if the standards could at least be consistent within the same bicycle.

Is there any practical reason for this mix?

That's the one odd point that stuck out to me too. Probably an issue of what fork was available/suitable?

oldpotatoe
03-30-2015, 02:24 PM

Cheaper than paragon sliders.

JAGI410
03-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Cheaper than paragon sliders.

Another gripe with this whole "adventure bike" trend...single speed capability should be mandatory. If you're going on a proper adventure, you need to be able to get home. That means planning for a busted dérailleur, or being able to stop in any podunk bike shop and be able to buy a fitting bottom bracket.

dolface
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Another gripe with this whole "adventure bike" trend...single speed capability should be mandatory. If you're going on a proper adventure, you need to be able to get home. That means planning for a busted dérailleur, or being able to stop in any podunk bike shop and be able to buy a fitting bottom bracket.

I think the RLT9 is SS capable (as long as you buy Niner's proprietary Biocentric 30 insert and run a threaded BB in that).

jackattack
03-31-2015, 01:01 AM
i was excited until i saw the pf30 bb. Deal breaker!

+1

Chromoroboto
03-31-2015, 01:36 AM
I'd go for a MUSA Gunnar Fastlane with the accompanying Fastlane fork. Price is comparable too.

gomango
03-31-2015, 05:20 AM
I have a forum buddy that is building a Wraith Paycheck this spring.

Somewhat similar pricepoint at $1,350.

I like the looks of the Wraith and the Niner for that matter, but I want to hear some direct feedback from him before I make a decision.

FWIW I built up a used ti Warbird frameset this last winter with a friend. I was able to use the bike for a few days in the Austin, TX area two weeks ago.

What a versatile bike for the $$$.

Lots of choices in this price range.

bcgav
03-31-2015, 05:30 AM
looks like they've updated their website...$1450 for a frameset sounds reasonable compared to a Gunnar Hyper-X with a fork...no weights given though.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt9steel

Gunnar is handmade in USA, Niner welded in Taiwan?

I'd go for a MUSA Gunnar Fastlane with the accompanying Fastlane fork. Price is comparable too.

+1.

Niner needs a little more BB drop IMHO.

josephr
03-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Gunnar is handmade in USA, Niner welded in Taiwan?

but with the Niner you get that 853 sticker....not sure if you get a MUSA sticker with the Gunnar.

bcgav
03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
but with the Niner you get that 853 sticker....not sure if you get a MUSA sticker with the Gunnar.

Hyper-X is True Temper OX Platinum but no sticker ;)

oldpotatoe
03-31-2015, 08:40 AM

Agree and custom available as well.

alessandro
03-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Nice frame, but what the heck does this mean:
"sport-beer compatible water bottle mount"?

Michael Maddox
03-31-2015, 11:38 AM
I have been in the market for two such bikes for some time, one for my home and one to keep at my office (in a neighboring town) to use as an all-purpose road/trail machine.

The Niner was certainly on my radar, but I just could NOT see making an investment in through-axle wheels! You folks know I love me some wheels, but the thought of having another wheel set that couldn't be moved between bikes...I just couldn't do it.

So, I ordered a Zanc, and bought a Diamondback Haanjo Trail. I rode the Haanjo this weekend for the first time...it's an aluminum frame, carbon fork, HED Flanders wheels, spec'ed with Ultegra and some cable-actuated hydro brakes (super weird). It's comparatively inexpensive, and it rides GREAT...light and fun.

I rode some nearby trails this weekend, and other than having to stay on my game to avoid roots (this ain't a 29er), I found the bike absolutely ideal in the dirt with the included 40mm tires, though I'll probably find something a little more street-wise for general riding.

Best of all, it's just another QR disc-brake wheel set.

AJosiahK
04-01-2015, 08:18 AM
They look awesome, and the paint jobs look nice.

lets see how they actually perform though.

I might have missed the tubing but I bet its not the lightest.

This thru axle stuff im not sure about either.

tumbler
04-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Yep.

And yep.

JeffS
04-01-2015, 08:58 AM
For a company that lives by spec-sheet buyers, I think the front fork killed them.

Personally, I'm not going to buy a 142 road bike, but I'm sure plenty will be lined up for the newest "make you buy new ish standard". Those people, however, won't be happy about being able to reuse an existing front wheel.

They'll sell a ton this year, then release the new and improved version next year with the 15mm fork. It's probably already in the build queue.

-----

For reference, I've been very happy with the Tamland 2 I picked up last year.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2015, 09:04 AM
They look awesome, and the paint jobs look nice.

lets see how they actually perform though.

I might have missed the tubing but I bet its not the lightest.

This thru axle stuff im not sure about either.

The hub axle version of BB 'standards'...

Jesper64
04-03-2015, 09:03 AM
It's a nice looking bike but I agree with the other people above, why PF30? I guess it's nice to have the versatility to run SS at some stage...

josephr
04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
It's a nice looking bike but I agree with the other people above, why PF30? I guess it's nice to have the versatility to run SS at some stage...

don't really understand why all the distaste of BB30/PF30 --- I think there may have been inconsistencies with tolerances in the beginning, but I think that's all straightened out now, isn't it? BBs for English that are out there are practically disposable anyway. With the Wheels/Praxxis outboard bearings, any idiot with a piece of threaded rod and a couple of large washers can install one. I've only one bike with BB30 and use the converting BB --- works great -- wouldn't let this hold me back on a nice frame if I was in the market. Anything that helps a bike be more versatile is a good thing in my mind.
Joe

firerescuefin
04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
don't really understand why all the distaste of BB30/PF30 --- I think there may have been inconsistencies with tolerances in the beginning, but I think that's all straightened out now, isn't it? BBs for English that are out there are practically disposable anyway. With the Wheels/Praxxis outboard bearings, any idiot with a piece of threaded rod and a couple of large washers can install one. I've only one bike with BB30 and use the converting BB --- works great -- wouldn't let this hold me back on a nice frame if I was in the market. Anything that helps a bike be more versatile is a good thing in my mind.
Joe

Yep.

hamitup
04-05-2015, 09:16 AM
I have the alum version I use for Gravel only and so far I'm happy with it.

p nut
07-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Anyone actually buy one of these yet? If the PF30 is anything like their BioCentric EBB, there won't be any issues. I'm liking the geometry, weight, and ability to go 700c for fast stuff, and 650b x chubby for chunky.