PDA

View Full Version : Astana to lose World Tour License

firerescuefin
03-30-2015, 08:57 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-astana-to-lose-worldtour-licence

Not sure how much this will affect the rest of the year for them. ASO is always a wild card with their decision making. Wouldn't surprise me to see them leave Astana (with the defending champion) out of the tour. Not sure if Nibali had language in his contract where he'd be able to leave the team mid season.

FlashUNC
03-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Not completely surprising, but with appeals won't this likely drag through the rest of the season anyways?

I do think this means odds are pretty high we won't be seeing an Astana team in any form next year.

firerescuefin
03-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Not completely surprising, but with appeals won't this likely drag through the rest of the season anyways?

I do think this means odds are pretty high we won't be seeing an Astana team in any form next year.

ASO has the right to do what they want (and have a history of doing that) outside of what the UCI says/does. Would not surprise me to see them to take a stand.

FlashUNC
03-30-2015, 09:26 AM
ASO has already announced their wild card entires into the Tour.

Unless they're counting Astana now as a sixth wild card entry (since there will technically be only 16 WorldTour teams now) I could see it happening, but the coverage hasn't been particularly clear on whether Astana can continue to race under the WorldTour license while their appeal is being heard at CAS. (Its how some of their guys were able to ride at Lombardia last year amid the doping allegations.)

If they can ride, then its all moot and gives ASO the fig leaf to let them race. But if not, I think it really backs ASO into a corner. Would they let a team the UCI says is too systemically broken with doping ride their crown jewel race?

I have a hard time thinking they're that stupid, unless they're adhereing to the Kardashian philosophy that all press is good press. It would certainly make the race a circus.

Joachim
03-30-2015, 09:29 AM
You guys jump the gun like Tinkov given free reign in a vodka factory. No final decision has been made yet. The report is after an article in De Telegraaf.. A Dutch news paper. Hold your horses... Even between the two cycling news articles there is a discrepancy. One says that Astana can only apply for a Continental license, the other only a Pro Continental license. They should get at least get some of the facts straight

FlashUNC
03-30-2015, 09:36 AM
You guys jump the gun like Tinkov given free reign in a vodka factory. No final decision has been made yet. The report is after an article in De Telegraaf.. A Dutch news paper. Hold your horses there...

What is pro cycling if not a perpetual hot stove league of rumor and innuendo?

:banana:

bluesea
03-30-2015, 09:43 AM
ASO has the right to do what they want (and have a history of doing that) outside of what the UCI says/does. Would not surprise me to see them to take a stand.

ASO has been prejudicial in such actions. That said here's hoping Astana gets locked out of ASO events.

firerescuefin
03-30-2015, 09:43 AM
You guys jump the gun like Tinkov given free reign in a vodka factory. No final decision has been made yet. The report is after an article in De Telegraaf.. A Dutch news paper. Hold your horses... Even between the two cycling news articles there is a discrepancy. One says that Astana can only apply for a Continental license, the other only a Pro Continental license. They should get at least get some of the facts straight

Regardless, they'll be losing their Pro Tour status. I don't think that much is really in question....and ASO loves to make a statement (when given a reason).

Joachim
03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
ASO might make one decision. I for one would like to see the legal arguments if/when it goes to CAS. Complete different ballgame than a doping case and the UCI has lost a license case before when going to CAS (Katusha)