PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with jersey flutter?

jberenyi
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Jersey flutter and static is being a real pain in my *ss lately. My heart rate on the Garmin 500 goes through the roof. How do you guys deal with it? Is there a cure all? Please share.

Cicli
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
I hear weight gain works?

Or smaller jerseys?

Seramount
03-29-2015, 03:47 PM
race cut.

pdmtong
03-29-2015, 03:53 PM
race cut.

sadly i think this is the answer.
assos ss.13 and rapha pro team no flapping.
PI club cut you-can-hear-my-train-a-coming

rnhood
03-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Yes, the race cut is the jersey profile you want. I never like jerseys that fit loose and flap, though they are Ok for greenway riding.

However, I don't know that a race cut jersey alone will guarantee no static affecting your HR. You might want to try squirting saline solution on your chest before putting the strap on. I do this and typically my HR monitor doesn't have these static issues. But I also wear form fitting jerseys.

witcombusa
03-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Huge piles of mashed potatoes with a milkshake chaser :banana:

Ken Robb
03-29-2015, 04:16 PM
wool jersey.

jberenyi
03-29-2015, 04:17 PM
I didn't think my question warranted these kind of answers. I was being genuine in my quest for an answer :confused:

commonguy001
03-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Jersey flutter and static is being a real pain in my *ss lately. My heart rate on the Garmin 500 goes through the roof. How do you guys deal with it? Is there a cure all? Please share.

Form fitting base layer and a Garmin Premium soft strap (the kind that doesn't use the sensor as a stressed member). I have had zero HR issues since making the switch to that strap.
Saying that no data is better than bad data IMO as it tends to get inside your head and that's never productive.

Cicli
03-29-2015, 04:47 PM
I didn't think my question warranted these kind of answers. I was being genuine in my quest for an answer :confused:

Sorry, I took it that your jerseys were too big. The solution is simple, it happens to all of us. I dropped 40 pounds and things are getting flappy.
Oh well.

p nut
03-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Curious what kind of answers you were expecting? (Not trying to be smart/smirk here). The answers given are your options. There isn't a magic potion that you can spray all over to make it stop flapping (aside from Pam).

Maybe a real cheap solution is safety pin your jersey and pull it tight.

Ken Robb
03-29-2015, 05:19 PM
I like wool jerseys and they never flap.That's the best answer I can give you.

Dead Man
03-29-2015, 05:25 PM

Don't be too sensitive... guys are answering your question AND having fun.

The solution is to wear jerseys that are tighter - either by gaining weight (probably not) or by buying tighter jerseys.

I've never had this problem, as I've always worn tight jerseys... so I'd say you should probably wear tight jerseys

jimoots
03-29-2015, 05:27 PM
Wear a better quality jersey. The cheaper coolmax style materials are quite bad for creating static electricity.

A form-fitting cut helps too.

As an aside, I found the newer style Garmin HR's aren't anywhere near as affected by flappy jersey. They look like this:

http://readysetgofitness.com.au/image/cache/data/GARMINPremiumSoftStrapHeartRateMonitorwebsq-420x420.jpg

The cruddy ones look like this:

http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/assets/full/GARM-010-11254-02.jpg

milkbaby
03-29-2015, 05:33 PM
You can wet the contact on your HR monitor before you put it on with spit out other liquid so you get better data from the start.

Agree with the other answers about flappy jersey material. A lightweight pure merino wool will cling when wet with sweat. Race/aero jersey shouldn't have extra material flapping. Adding body weight until you get the sausage casing look might be fun but less healthy.

jberenyi
03-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Form fitting base layer and a Garmin Premium soft strap (the kind that doesn't use the sensor as a stressed member). I have had zero HR issues since making the switch to that strap.
Saying that no data is better than bad data IMO as it tends to get inside your head and that's never productive.

That's what I use and still have issues. I think its the material of this jersey.

jberenyi
03-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Wear a better quality jersey. The cheaper coolmax style materials are quite bad for creating static electricity.

A form-fitting cut helps too.

As an aside, I found the newer style Garmin HR's aren't anywhere near as affected by flappy jersey. They look like this:

http://readysetgofitness.com.au/image/cache/data/GARMINPremiumSoftStrapHeartRateMonitorwebsq-420x420.jpg

The cruddy ones look like this:

http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/assets/full/GARM-010-11254-02.jpg

I have the cruddy one. Go figure.

jimoots
03-29-2015, 05:52 PM
I have the cruddy one. Go figure.

Not suprising. I have never gotten the crazy flappy jersey readings since switching to the new strap after my old one broke.

gomango
03-29-2015, 05:55 PM
I like wool jerseys and they never flap.That's the best answer I can give you.

That's a keeper.

Only a dozen or so nice designs out there.

cat6
03-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Do you have a photo of the jersey that's giving you issues? It would probably help in figuring this one out.

Louis
03-29-2015, 07:45 PM
At the risk of further incurring the OP's wrath, but for completeness, I feel I must add that slowing down (aka a placard) is also a potential solution:

https://www.neocass.org/images/smartcad_results.jpg

jberenyi
03-29-2015, 08:52 PM
At the risk of further incurring the OP's wrath, but for completeness, I feel I must add that slowing down (aka a placard) is also a potential solution:

https://www.neocass.org/images/smartcad_results.jpg

You guys are killing me...LOL If I had to start over again I should have said "erratic heart rate readings" instead of jersey flutter. Poor choice of words on my part LOL

zmudshark
03-29-2015, 09:11 PM
It ain't the jersey flap, it's the strap. I had a few around here, some good, some not so much. FWIW, I have no problems with an older strap as pictured.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Don't be too sensitive... guys are answering your question AND having fun.

The solution is to wear jerseys that are tighter - either by gaining weight (probably not) or by buying tighter jerseys.

I've never had this problem, as I've always worn tight jerseys... so I'd say you should probably wear tight jerseys

But but but, this is serious...inaccurate Garmin......yer right, it isn't. :)