PDA

View Full Version : unsolvable mysterious noise on my bike... cookie for winner

shaq-d
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
okay. i have a ridiculous noise problem with my bike. it's ridiculous not only 'cuz there's no answer i can come up with, but also because it's not a big deal, the sound isn't loud enough when on the road, i can only hear it when i'm bored and i play with the bike on the stand. :p

noise is happening on the front wheel. if i lift up the front wheel, or suspend it on a bike stand, and rotate the front wheel, i hear a rubbing sound like paper on paper. however:

1. the rubbing isn't slowing down the wheel, cuz it rotates freely. if i spin it, it will go forever, regardless of brake's quick release position.

2. the rubbing is associated with the brakes. if i press the button on the campy brake levers to release the brake's quick release, less rubbing noise is heard.

3. with the brake's quick release open, the brakes make no contact whatsoever with tire or rim, and yet the rubbing sound continues.

anyone have an idea? i know you obssessive-compulsive ones can relate :p

sd

Big Dan
04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Shaq, do you have a Cateye computer?

Proxy
04-14-2006, 10:15 AM
okay. i have a ridiculous noise problem with my bike. it's ridiculous not only 'cuz there's no answer i can come up with, but also because it's not a big deal, the sound isn't loud enough when on the road, i can only hear it when i'm bored and i play with the bike on the stand. :p

noise is happening on the front wheel. if i lift up the front wheel, or suspend it on a bike stand, and rotate the front wheel, i hear a rubbing sound like paper on paper. however:

1. the rubbing isn't slowing down the wheel, cuz it rotates freely. if i spin it, it will go forever, regardless of brake's quick release position.

2. the rubbing is associated with the brakes. if i press the button on the campy brake levers to release the brake's quick release, less rubbing noise is heard.

3. with the brake's quick release open, the brakes make no contact whatsoever with tire or rim, and yet the rubbing sound continues.

sd

did you take off the end cap on the front hub and clean em out - ac hubs are prone to this

e-RICHIE
04-14-2006, 10:15 AM
what type of cookie?
hey - i need to know the guidelines.

H.Frank Beshear
04-14-2006, 10:22 AM
ride it more play with it less..hmm I like chocolate chip :D :banana:

Kevan
04-14-2006, 10:23 AM
what type of cookie?
hey - i need to know the guidelines.

could there be a leaf or something stuck inside the brake or fork rubbing the tire or rim?

Have you been riding on wet roads or rain recently?

Is your bike haunted?

Maybe it's your bike whispering back at you how much it's enjoying itself.

Hey! It could happen!

ergott
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM

sd

You got a leaf caught in your brakes and it's rubbing the tread.

e-RICHIE
04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
"The universe is expanding...".
Alvy Singer

bostondrunk
04-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Something inside the rim?
Does it make the same noise when you spin the wheel in your hands, not on the bike?
Take the tire/tube off and shake the rim, see if anything in it. Clean out and re-grease the hubs.

pdxmech13
04-14-2006, 11:29 AM
On most new tires there is a tiny amount of
strands from when the tire is removed from
its mold. they can be found on the sides of
the tire or on top of it. I would look for these
before tearing anything apart.

I like trail mix cookies by the way.

Bruce K
04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Go to CVS (or some other local drugstore).

Buy a set of Hear-o's (ear plugs).

Insert one in each ear when working on your bike. :D

Oatmeal raisin please. :banana:

BK

shaq-d
04-14-2006, 12:28 PM
1. Big dan: no cateye; just a cheap one.. but if it was a computer thing, the noise would follow at single intervals.. this is really more of a rubbing sound..?

2. proxy. not sure what end cap in front hub is? wheel is newly built by me; old campy chorus hub, brand new velocity deep v rim, lightly used michen pro 2 tire. do campy chorus hubs have this end cap thingy?

3. e-richie. hmm. if i send cookies in the mail they'll prob go bad by the time they arrive. cookies ACTUALLY means a six pack of st. ambroise oatmeal stout. universe expanding... to sound in wheel..i can't make the connection.. :crap:

4. franky: lol.

5. kevan/ergott:no leafy stuff..

6. kevan: i recently rode on a path though, and occasionally went through dirt.. what might that mean?
bike haunted or own personality? hmmmm.....

7. boston: just the normal noise when rotating on hands. repacked anyway.. noise still there...

8. pdx: it's not the strands..though they're there.. the strands dont 'make contact with the brake pads or brake calipers... but ii'm gnona pluck'm out to make sure..

sd

p.s. arrangements can be made if cookies>beer.

shaq-d
04-14-2006, 12:32 PM
okay, it was the strands :p. i didn't realize there's two sets of strands both on the lower and upper part of the tire right above the bead.. and obviously i didn't see it because when rotating the tire you can't see them.. lol.

so cookies or beer? pm me..

sd

Too Tall
04-14-2006, 12:32 PM
...swooping in...

Computer wire is dragging against the tyre

It is a titanium bike...the noise emminates from a proxy zipcode lose all hope buy a Mevici.

Kevan
04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Now I have to go make myself my own damn cookies and my wife don't like me drinkin' in the middle of the afternoon.

Actually my fav is Pecan Sandies WITH beer.

H.Frank Beshear
04-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Ow,Ow I'm having a horrible vision of Sandy covered in pecans. Geese Thanks Kevan :rolleyes: :banana:

Kevan
04-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Ow,Ow I'm having a horrible vision of Sandy covered in pecans. Geese Thanks Kevan :rolleyes: :banana:

Now you just gone and killed one of my favorite combos.

Gotta go gargle now.....

Birddog
04-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Wow,I think this might be the most extreme case of OCD I've seen on this board, and I've seen a lot in the 5 years or so I've lurked here. This is definitely a first: guy complains about noise that turns out to be caused by "tire hair". It's also amazing that someone figured it out so quickly, but then he's probably OCD himself or has worked with someone who is.
Amazing atmo,
Birddog

Kevan
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Wow,I think this might be the most extreme case of OCD I've seen on this board, and I've seen a lot in the 5 years or so I've lurked here. This is definitely a first: guy complains about noise that turns out to be caused by "tire hair". It's also amazing that someone figured it out so quickly, but then he's probably OCD himself or has worked with someone who is.
Amazing atmo,
Birddog

starting that thread about how I might be able to straighten out a crooked tire label. Jeesh!

woolly
04-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Try another front wheel. Does it still make the rubbing sound?

pdxmech13
04-15-2006, 01:02 PM
not clinically ocd just yet !

Birddog
04-15-2006, 02:27 PM
not clinically ocd just yet
I figure that anybody that posts on this board and rides bikes is a potential OCD'er, myself included. Some of us mask the symptoms better than others. Can one "lurk" and still benefit from "group therapy"? or does one have to actively participate?

Birddog