PDA

View Full Version : Would you replace a tire just based on mileage?

SteveV0983
03-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I've been using the same Vredestein Fortezza TriComp as a front tire since some time in 2013 and it has 4425 miles on it and still looks like it has a way to go. It's only starting to look squared off and has no significant cuts.
Would you replace it just due to age?
Or maybe move it to the back and put a fresh one on the front? My back is just about due for a change.
I haven't had to try the new Fortezza Senso yet, but I'm going to miss these Fotezza TriComps. By far my all time favorite tire. Oh well...

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-29-2015, 08:15 AM
How are the sidewalls?

AngryScientist
03-29-2015, 08:16 AM
as long as the casing still feels pretty supply and is not showing heavy cracking/dryrot, dont replace it.

josephr
03-29-2015, 08:18 AM
I've been using the same Vredestein Fortezza TriComp as a front tire since some time in 2013 and it has 4425 miles on it and still looks like it has a way to go. It's only starting to look squared off and has no significant cuts.
Would you replace it just due to age?
Or maybe move it to the back and put a fresh one on the front? My back is just about due for a change.
I haven't had to try the new Fortezza Senso yet, but I'm going to miss these Fotezza TriComps. By far my all time favorite tire. Oh well...

not sure about those tires, but as far as rotating to the back --- that's what I do -- I have about 4000mi on a gatorskin from being up front, just moved it to the back and hope to get another 2k out of it!

SteveV0983
03-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Sidewalls are fine and absolutely no cracking or dry rot. As I mentioned, the back has just about had it so I'll move the front to the back and replace the front with a new one.
Thanks for the responses.

regularguy412
03-29-2015, 09:27 AM
A little Devil's Advocate here -- If you pay close attention when tipping into corners at speed, you may notice that the handling is maybe not quite what you have come to expect. When the shoulders square off, there can be a less than seamless transition from the vertical to the heeled-over. This condition may not bother you at all, but it's not something that I particularly enjoy.

When I am lucky enough to run a tire that long, I usually just make a trainer tire out of it. I've found that I don't bounce quite as well as I used to. :)

Mike in AR:beer:

merlinmurph
03-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Man, front tires last forever. Really.

Move it to the rear, new one in front, and that old tire will come to end of its useful life soon and with dignity.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

JeffS
03-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Age yes, but not mileage.

Tony T
03-29-2015, 10:26 AM
There should be wear indicators on the tire.
(I change my conti's based on the wear indicator)

Marinofsu
03-29-2015, 07:49 PM
For $35 (verdesteins on sale) I wouldn't take a chance. My rides are too important to risk getting a flat just to get a few extra rides out of an already old tire. My 2 cents.

azrider
03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
no

Louis
03-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Definitely not.

In my case (which probably differs from most folks on the forum) I ride them until I can see threads, _then_ I replace them. (Unless something else like dry-rot, bad cut, etc. happens first)

Tony T
03-29-2015, 09:46 PM
What about tubes (for clinchers).
Years ago I used to patch them, now I toss-em in the trash after a flat.

unterhausen
03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Hard to explain my exact decision criteria, but I trash tires after a flat if they are old enough. I have also just replaced them if they are down to the wear indicators

Jesper64
03-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Definitely not.

In my case (which probably differs from most folks on the forum) I ride them until I can see threads, _then_ I replace them. (Unless something else like dry-rot, bad cut, etc. happens first)

I must admit I do the same as well. It's surprising how many miles you can get out of tyres are they threads are showing.

Though, I only run these worn tyres on the rear. A blow out or similar on the rear is going to be far less catastrophic then one on the front.

Dead Man
03-29-2015, 10:38 PM
I've never gotten a chance to wear a tire down to the threads. I always get killer cuts well before the tire would die naturally. Someday I'm going to find all of these super clean roads some you dudes ride on...

Louis
03-29-2015, 11:07 PM
I do have to admit that once years ago I got greedy and tried to eke out "just one more short ride" from a tire that had several spots with threads showing. About 25 miles in I heard a sharp pop, followed by a hiss, as the tube blew out through the tire. I tried to patch the tube, but that was before I carried tire boots, and the amount of tube trying to push it's way out the tire was too much for comfort, so I hitched a ride home. I could have used something like Tyvek or a $, but decided to call it a day.

d_douglas
03-29-2015, 11:13 PM
I just decided I needed to change mine because I couldn't stand the sight of my Contis anymore. They were tanks, but they were indestructible. I just couldn't stand looking at them anymore! Ya gotta love Contis!

JAllen
03-30-2015, 01:35 AM
I've never gotten a chance to wear a tire down to the threads. I always get killer cuts well before the tire would die naturally. Someday I'm going to find all of these super clean roads some you dudes ride on...
This is pretty much my experience. When tread is getting pretty worn, there are usually some gnarly cuts in it. When my commute took me through outer east Portland, where I swear the locals throw glass in the street for sport, I used to go through tires so quickly I barely began to wear down the tread. Granted I was using some cheapo tires with laughable puncture resistance. I switched to gatorskins and can hold onto a set for some time.

Mikej
03-30-2015, 01:37 PM
For $35 (verdesteins on sale) I wouldn't take a chance. My rides are too important to risk getting a flat just to get a few extra rides out of an already old tire. My 2 cents.

x1000 - Just be safe and save your day? If its from last season, its trash to me.

JAllen
03-30-2015, 02:05 PM
x1000 - Just be safe and save your day? If its from last season, its trash to me.
Have you ever resold these? I know they're used but selling them for a few bucks ($10- 15 each) seems like a good idea. Beer money, and giving someone the chance to ride the rest of the life out of them.

Dead Man
03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
This is pretty much my experience. When tread is getting pretty worn, there are usually some gnarly cuts in it. When my commute took me through outer east Portland, where I swear the locals throw glass in the street for sport, I used to go through tires so quickly I barely began to wear down the tread. Granted I was using some cheapo tires with laughable puncture resistance. I switched to gatorskins and can hold onto a set for some time.

Ever ridden through Scappoose? They sweep the "bike lanes" for STP... the rest of the year, they almost completely neglect them, and they're generally full from fogline to curb of sharp fresh quarry gravel, broken glass of various type, and jagged rusty shards of metal. It's crazy... they're the worst bikes lanes I've ever ridden anywhere, literally. I've cut two tubular tires with less than 500 miles on them each in the last two months. Absolutely infuriating.

OBPAC has their quarterly meeting day after tomorrow. I will probably have to work, but I really hope I can get down there and make an in-person complaint about it. At the very least, I'm writing the city a letter of complaint, and will probably send a bill for two new Vittorias - which I'm sure will be immediately trashed, but they need to see what their neglect is causing.

JAllen
03-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Ever ridden through Scappoose? They sweep the "bike lanes" for STP... the rest of the year, they almost completely neglect them, and they're generally full from fogline to curb of sharp fresh quarry gravel, broken glass of various type, and jagged rusty shards of metal. It's crazy... they're the worst bikes lanes I've ever ridden anywhere, literally. I've cut two tubular tires with less than 500 miles on them each in the last two months. Absolutely infuriating.

OBPAC has their quarterly meeting day after tomorrow. I will probably have to work, but I really hope I can get down there and make an in-person complaint about it. At the very least, I'm writing the city a letter of complaint, and will probably send a bill for two new Vittorias - which I'm sure will be immediately trashed, but they need to see what their neglect is causing.

I've scoped it out when I had route stops that took me that way, but I've never pedaled it. I probably will this summer or fall. I'll most likely be running 26 x 1.5 Schwalbe marathon plus when I do. Not sure how they'll hold up to extreme amounts of debris. They'll be my first pair of Schwalbe tires I've ever used. That's a shame about the bike lane being kept up though. Let me know how your complaint is met.

Mikej
03-31-2015, 08:03 AM
Have you ever resold these? I know they're used but selling them for a few bucks ($10- 15 each) seems like a good idea. Beer money, and giving someone the chance to ride the rest of the life out of them.

No, seems like I rde two sets of tires per year which ends with 2k miles on each set. Your results may very.

EPIC! Stratton
03-31-2015, 02:29 PM
No. I view the Mileage as a "suggested" value. Replace it when it's worn out.

Bstone
03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
I run them the same way I run my car tires: until the threads are sticking out or they won't hold air anymore.