PDA

View Full Version : "Gabba" jersey

oldpotatoe
03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Just read latest Rouleur..great mag..read the last article by Robert Millar about....LA..

But an article about Castelli and the 'Gabba'...anybody have one and what do you think??

I 'may' get one from my buddy who owns Curve..MOA makes one..

Climb01742
03-29-2015, 07:23 AM
It's my favorite piece of apparel. Works so well in many spring and fall riding conditions. Keeps wind and wet off of your skin very well with very little bulk. I hate dressing 'heavy' in cool/cold weather. Gabba keeps me toasty and comfy with fewer layers. Highly recommended. Jerseys do fit snugly so maybe size up, depending on body type?

PaMtbRider
03-29-2015, 07:28 AM
One of my favorite jerseys. I like it best from 40-55 degrees.

christian
03-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Ridiculously great. For rainy, misty, 40d rides, it's by far the best.

Gummee
03-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Don't have a Gabba, but do have a Fawsome vest.

I goofed and should've bought the jersey 'cause there's very rarely a day where I'll wear the vest instead of a jacket. The vest is either too heavy or not heavy enough.

When I DO wear it, its a great bit of kit

As another data point, I bought a Sugoi RS180 'jacket.' Same basic idea as the Gabba. I haven't ridden that in the wet/nasties, but it works really well on upper 30s/lower 40s kind of days with a couple smartwool 150 layers beneath it

When its wet/misty and not too cold, I'll usually wear my Gore Xenon half-sleeve jacket. More waterproof. More windproof. With the half sleeves you don't get nearly as hot so you can ride it in the summer too. In the winter, the half-sleeves let your arms breathe so you don't get too sweaty under there either. Good stuff and on sale at Nashbar.

M

Wesley37
03-29-2015, 08:20 AM
It's my favorite piece of apparel. Works so well in many spring and fall riding conditions. Keeps wind and wet off of your skin very well with very little bulk.

An emphatic +1

David Kirk
03-29-2015, 08:26 AM
I was so hoping that this was Ramones related.

dave

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b2/fe/24/b2fe24c3c9ee5564e55ef2ebbdeac182.jpg

ultraman6970
03-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Yo gabba gabba!

justinrchan
03-29-2015, 09:12 AM
+1 on the awesomeness of the Gabba

joosttx
03-29-2015, 09:16 AM
I have one. It is an awesome jersey. Highly recommend for rain and cold weather.

FlashUNC
03-29-2015, 10:04 AM
The Gabba rules.

Doesn't get much use out here, but I used it in NC all the time.

DCilliams
03-29-2015, 10:31 AM
My go-to winter jersey :hello:

professerr
03-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Really a great jacket, that provides a bizarre amount of warmth for its thinness and weight -- something to do with its surprising breathability, complete windblocking, and stretchy close fit. I like to use it with just a thin long sleeve merino base layer, though like Flash says above there were almost no days this crazy warm dry "winter" in the SF Bay Area where it was needed.

Comes in neon too.

Note it is a tight stretchy fit.

dk2ck
03-29-2015, 10:52 AM
It looks like the Gabba comes in a short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, and a convertible jacket. What's everyone's preference?

professerr
03-29-2015, 11:07 AM
The convert version has fabric overlap where the long sleeves attach to the jersey short sleeves, which is exactly where I hate bulk, so it was a no go for me. Others I know don't notice the bulk and dont care.

Don't see the point in a wind-proof water resistant short sleeve jacket. If it is cold or wet enough to need these qualities, I want a long sleeve. I get cold very easily, though.

So long sleeve version works for me.

christian
03-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Short sleeve for me. I use it with arm warmers. Long sleeve would be too hot for rainy weather.

Kirk007
03-29-2015, 11:51 AM
The long sleeve fits looser in the arms than arm warmers and the chest vents really work for me. I' ve been wearing the gabba 2 LS as a go to jersey in 48-56 rainy PNW days all winter. It works well (but plenty of other combos do too). I have short sleeve and arm warmers as well and anticipate it will be getting a lot more use in the next month or so as our days get a bit warmer but are frequently wet.

Climb01742
03-29-2015, 12:16 PM
For me, short sleeve with or without arm warmers offers more versatility across more temperature conditions.

FlashUNC
03-29-2015, 12:22 PM
It looks like the Gabba comes in a short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, and a convertible jacket. What's everyone's preference?

Short sleeve with arm warmers. Its not bad with Castelli's hydrophobic arm warmers either.

But as others have mentioned, its not a full-on winter piece for me unless its a really hard winter ride where I'll be running really hot. Good down to about the low 40s for me with arm warmers.

And it has a nice flap to protect against butt spray.

jpw
03-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Does anyone sell the Gabba, and especially the arm warmers, without the Castelli branding quite so 'in your face'? Where do the pro teams source their Gabba clobber?

FlashUNC
03-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Does anyone sell the Gabba, and especially the arm warmers, without the Castelli branding quite so 'in your face'? Where do the pro teams source their Gabba clobber?

My first gen Gabba had the Castelli logos sublimated in black on the front, so its not so, well, Castelli.

The Pros use this:

http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/products/original/5280a.jpg

milkbaby
03-29-2015, 05:43 PM
2nd generation Gabba doesn't have the gigantic branding of the first gen.

I wore my Gabba convertible today in temps from 45F to 62F with wind. Only wore a base layer underneath. I usually run cold, and the key thing about the Gabba for me is how it's windproof and breathable. When it gets hotter I can zip off the sleeves. Only drawback is that the convertible doesn't have the zippered chest vents of the long sleeve jersey, but the trade off of being able to go to short sleeve when it warms up is worth it to me.

Lionel
03-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Awesome piece of cycling clothing. I have the short sleeve and long sleeve ones.

kramnnim
03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Are the short sleeves of the jacket windproof?

Also...does anyone have a Small sized jacket? Curious if it is the same width as the LS jersey. (pit to pit measurement would be nice to know)

I have a SS Capo Lombardia jersey, seems to be the same material. Sized very small, oddly. Medium fits the same as my LS Gabba. I like the chest vents, but the zipoff sleeves would be nice...

Nanoflex warmers aren't windproof :(

03-29-2015, 06:59 PM
The short-sleeved version is really the thing for racing, but at that point you want a custom shop to print your team graphics on it. Then it's an amazing way to race early season. Ditto for cross.

Some people like arm warmers and for them it does the trick. I don't like arm warmers (though leg warmers are amazing) so the short-sleeved Gabba doesn't do much for me except in racing form.

Also, I'd mention that the short-sleeve one seems to fit especially well on those people who can fit a small Gabba in the first place. I hate all of you, and hope you all eat lots of cake and end up in extra-large Pearl izumi someday.

The neon yellow one with team graphics all done monochrome in clear reflective makes for an amazing jersey for all kinds of purposes.

JLP
03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
The Gabba rocks my pacific northwest world. I have all three styles. If I had to pick one, I'd get the short sleeve and the nano flex arm warmers.

They really do breathe well, they are truly warm when wet, and they are tough.

I wear far less base layers with a Gabba then with wool.

Beware the Castelli "sized for small Italian girls" fit guide. I'm an XXL Gabba and a L or XL in everything else. I have pixie sized friends who wear Large.

Oh, and there is actually a meaningful amount of quality reflective trim for those of you who ride at night.

Just great stuff.

EPIC! Stratton
03-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Definitely clicked on this thread excited to see something from "Yo Gabba Gabba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_Gabba_Gabba!)".

http://www.thehydramag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/yogabbagabba.jpg

Was slightly disappointed.

That said, I know a number of folks who have and love the Gabba jersey.

Kirk Pacenti
03-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Definitely clicked on this thread excited to see something from "Yo Gabba Gabba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_Gabba_Gabba!)".

http://www.thehydramag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/yogabbagabba.jpg

Was slightly disappointed.

That said, I know a number of folks who have and love the Gabba jersey.

This one is more my speed.

http://favim.com/orig/201106/11/gabba-gabba-hey-my-babies-punk-ramones-the-ramones-Favim.com-72197.jpg

KidWok
03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
+1 Gabba plus thin wool baselayer.

Tai

Really a great jacket, that provides a bizarre amount of warmth for its thinness and weight -- something to do with its surprising breathability, complete windblocking, and stretchy close fit. I like to use it with just a thin long sleeve merino base layer, though like Flash says above there were almost no days this crazy warm dry "winter" in the SF Bay Area where it was needed.

Comes in neon too.

Note it is a tight stretchy fit.

EPIC! Stratton
03-30-2015, 03:40 PM
This one is more my speed.

http://favim.com/orig/201106/11/gabba-gabba-hey-my-babies-punk-ramones-the-ramones-Favim.com-72197.jpg

Either work for me.:cool: