Bike totalled may have broken hip broken
ribs
Pick up just sideswiped me and a guy
I was riding with
Reaffirms my desire to do a benefit ride
for victims of auto on bike violence

weisan
03-29-2015, 04:45 AM
sorry to hear mojo pal, glad you are ok, heal up.

mecse
03-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Last 3 miles of a 300k and bang
ribs
I was riding with

!!! Swift and Complete recovery!

oldpotatoe
03-29-2015, 06:32 AM
ribs
I was riding with

Did he stop? Cops called? Heal quickly, get a lawyer.

commonguy001
03-29-2015, 06:47 AM
Hang in there Mojo!
Went through something similar in 08 and don't wish it on anyone.

soulspinner
03-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Make sure to follow up with things that don't resolve themselves physically. Heal, glad you are still with us.......

OtayBW
03-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Geez - best of luck to you, and I hope you get this joker to account!

makoti
03-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Heal fast, bikes can be replaced. What OP said... lawyer up.

Spinner
03-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Rest and heal Doc.

thwart
03-29-2015, 08:24 AM
heal, glad you are still with us.......
+100

Tandem Rider
03-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Recovery first, lawyer asap.

jghall
03-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Ditto. Far too many times that I'm a bit anxious when I head out nowdays. Glad you're ok.

ultraman6970
03-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Good you are writing.... hope everything goes ok and you recover quick.

Wilkinson4
03-29-2015, 08:46 AM
I hope your hip is ok. Recover well and let us know what happens. Everyone be careful out there.

Did this guy hit and run?

mIKE

regularguy412
03-29-2015, 08:54 AM
ribs
I was riding with

Holy Smokes! Lucky to be able to type to us. I've 'been there, done that, got the scars (no T-shirt). +1,000 on the lawyer.

I was hit from behind while making a left turn off of one road onto another road. The offender left 133 feet of skid marks before impact. Witnesses say that I flew approx. 25 ft (horizontally) and about 6 feet (vertically) through the air before impact with the pavement on the OTHER side of the intersection. I actually don't remember the flying part. Was lucky enough to escape with no broken bones, but did have copious road rash and had to have my left ear repaired by a plastic surgeon as the external part was cut so badly that the cartilage was exposed.

Rule of Thumb: Don't sign ANYTHING yet! Plenny of time to deal with the legalities. At least you did have a buddy along. Just get yourself healed.

Mike in AR:beer:

mg2ride
03-29-2015, 09:05 AM
That really sucks and one of most worse dreams.

Heal quick and stay positive no matter what.

Ken Robb
03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
ribs
I was riding with

In my wreck last July some of my most painful and long-lasting injuries were 4 broken ribs so, to paraphrase an ex-president, I felt your pain. Just pray that you don't get a cold that makes you cough. Let us know how you progress.

Drmojo
03-29-2015, 10:45 AM
For the kind words of you all on the forum my friends here
Cyclists or not, are deeply appreciated
No hit and run
Wealthy young farmer deep pockets
Lawyer already in loop
Luckily surgery not necessary for this type
of hip fracture
Just rest, no weight bearing, no adduction
or abduction
And yes, the broken rib(s) hurt the most
4th time for me
Laughing as painful as coughing

Peter B
03-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Glad you're with us still Mojo! Girlie says your coming home soon---let me know how I can help.

vqdriver
03-29-2015, 12:37 PM
ugh. scary stuff.

echo the sentiments here. glad to see you're able to post, and sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ken Robb
03-29-2015, 02:04 PM
4th time for me

Hey, did you hear the one about----------Oh, never mind. :banana:

jmeloy
03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
All the best mojo. This stuff starts to get in my head sometimes.

regularguy412
03-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey, did you hear the one about----------Oh, never mind. :banana:

Ken, you're a sick, sick man.

LOL

:D

yoshirider
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Ouch! Glad you're okay and it wasn't a hit and run. Take care and hope you recover quickly and get back on the bike soon

wc1934
03-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Oh - that sucks. Sorry. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

BobbyJones
03-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Keep Laughing. As much as it hurts it may help you the best.

Glad you're here and still typing. Wishing you a fast recovery.

4th time for me

Ralph
03-29-2015, 05:31 PM
These things happen, it's good to hear you will recover.

giverdada
03-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Really glad it wasn't hit and run. Most of my more serious ones have been, and I'm more glad that you're okay enough to type. And that you got most of the ride in! Nicely done. I hope you heal well and score three more bikes to replace that one, and a brand new hip to replace that one too, if need be. Best of luck and healing man.

Peter B
03-29-2015, 05:44 PM
On behalf of Mojo, thanks for all the well wishes! No surgery required, just 4-6 weeks of inactivity. Just got him home from the hospital and he's resting w/ his 8 month old daughter Nora.

Be careful out there folks!

572cv
03-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Wow, scary moments. Glad you are in good enough shape to share this with the rest of us, and your peeps. Hope your recovery is completely on schedule.

PSC
03-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Glad you are ok. Get lawyer as not only will the insurance try and screw you the hospital will bill you outrageous cost knowing you are getting an insurance settlement. Let a lawyer and let them deal with it.

sailorboy
03-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Sounds like the hip fx was not at the fem neck then? Good thing, or you could be looking at early replacement.

Heal up and glad to hear you are still with us. You'll be back out for early summer riding.

No hit and run
Lawyer already in loop
of hip fracture
or abduction
4th time for me

p nut
03-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Hope your recovery goes well and you're back on the bike soon.

Stories like this always jolts me back into reality of how fragile we are out there. Then, of course, there are Worst-case scenario's like I saw on the news today (http://fox13now.com/2015/03/28/lehi-police-say-woman-was-cycling-with-group-when-she-was-hit-killed-by-semitrailer/). Makes me want to stick strictly to dirt.

veloduffer
03-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

JAllen
03-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Yikes! Glad it wasn't worse. Get back on the horse as soon as you can!

RudAwkning
03-30-2015, 01:16 AM
No hit and run
Lawyer already in loop
of hip fracture
or abduction
4th time for me

Oh SH|T! Looked at the date (3/28) and realized that this coincided with the Davis 300k. Then saw Peter's replies and realized who this was. Crap, Mojo. No bueno!

I guess you and Banks can commiserate over some cold pints together :P

Heal up quick!

marciero
03-30-2015, 05:28 AM
Indeed-Heal up, lawyer up.

shovelhd
03-30-2015, 06:05 AM
Best of luck with the healing and dealing.

bikingshearer
03-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Just adding to the chorus - sorry this happened, very glad it was not worse, hope you heal quickly and completely and that the legal/insurance back-and-forth isn't too awful.

As a lawyer who does civil litigation (and isn't that the ultimate oxymoron?), although not personal injury stuff, be warned: the process inevitably involves periods of wait . . . wait . . . wait, punctuated by bursts of hurryhurryhurry. There is only so much even the very best lawyer can do to change that. Also, do not expect to feel "vindicated" or to get "closure" from the civil justice system (yet another whopper of an oxymoron). Trying to get emotional healing from the courts is like trying to do surgery with a chainsaw - you're asking the tool to do something for which it was not designed and cannot reasonably be expected to accomplish. What a civil court does least badly is reallocate money. The healing part will be up to you and your support system.

I do not mean this as an indictment of the civil justice system, but rather to allow you to manage your expectations. Considering what the system is asked to do and the resources we choose (not) to put into it, it kinda sorta works, and it certainly works a lot better than what passes for a justice system in most of world. But it is far from perfect and people are often surprised at how inefficient (always) and soul-crushing (far too often) it can be.

ANAO
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Heal up quick man!

William
03-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Ah man, wishing you a speedy recovery!!

William

gasman
03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
I echo all the other wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about it.

Drmojo
03-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Just adding to the chorus - sorry this happened, very glad it was not worse, hope you heal quickly and completely and that the legal/insurance back-and-forth isn't too awful.

As a lawyer who does civil litigation (and isn't that the ultimate oxymoron?), although not personal injury stuff, be warned: the process inevitably involves periods of wait . . . wait . . . wait, punctuated by bursts of hurryhurryhurry. There is only so much even the very best lawyer can do to change that. Also, do not expect to feel "vindicated" or to get "closure" from the civil justice system (yet another whopper of an oxymoron). Trying to get emotional healing from the courts is like trying to do surgery with a chainsaw - you're asking the tool to do something for which it was not designed and cannot reasonably be expected to accomplish. What a civil court does least badly is reallocate money. The healing part will be up to you and your support system.

I do not mean this as an indictment of the civil justice system, but rather to allow you to manage your expectations. Considering what the system is asked to do and the resources we choose (not) to put into it, it kinda sorta works, and it certainly works a lot better than what passes for a justice system in most of world. But it is far from perfect and people are often surprised at how inefficient (always) and soul-crushing (far too often) it can be.
I have been hit by cars twice before
Luckily I have Kaiser--pays for all medical. Plus I have enough time saved up at work-14 weeks--to cover me. Add to that I have 6 other bikes.
So with all of the awesome support from my friends, family and cycling pals/acquaintaces ( forum included) I currently have zero expectations of being "made whole."
If I get nothing financially from this episode I am still a very rich man.
Sorry for prolx response, the Norco is wearing off.
I am happy to be alive, and know I will ride again- if all goes well and prognosis is correct.
I am not angry or impatient; more GRATEFUL
Grazie mille to you all-and the whole big bad world
Join me next year for a charity ride to benefit the fallen, and their families
Details TBA stay tuned
mOjO

redir
03-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Wow a 300k ride! That sounds like it would hurt worse then getting hit by a pickup truck :eek:

Good luck on your recovery. I've been hit twice, third time is the charm. And yeah the ribs are the worst.

Witnesses say that I flew approx. 25 ft (horizontally) and about 6 feet (vertically) through the air before impact with the pavement on the OTHER side of the intersection. I actually don't remember the flying part.

I actually do remember the flying part. IT was in slow motion and I was heading towards a parked car making fast decisions on how to deal with it. My head was going right for the bumper so I planned it out and determined it would be best to duck under it and take the brunt of the impact on my side against the rear tire.

It was weird.