PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Bike -Velo Orange Polyvalent Frame Build

Erik_A
03-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Just finished the last bits on my personal daily commuter, based on the 60cm Velo Orange Polyvalent MK2 Frameset.

I know that this is typically a 650B wheel frame that takes up to 55c tires; but my 700c wheels w/ 35c tires are the same circumference, so that is how I decided to go. Paul Comp's Motolite brakes span the difference between 650B and 700C canti posts easily. Other than those I used my favorite 9sp Campagnolo Ergo parts, and 180mm Dura-Ace crankset. "Fred" height Nitto Techtronic stem give me the upright riding position with drop bars that I prefer for commuting.

More info on the Velo Orange framesets: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/frames.html

dcama5
03-29-2015, 06:47 AM
Nice build. Just a suggestion if you want to have more usable drops, Velo-Orange sells a short and shallow road bar, called Dajia, that will allow that flat transition from the levers to the bars on top but will still place the drops near horizontal. The stem clamp diameter is 26.0 so I think it will fit that quill stem.

Erik_A
03-29-2015, 06:52 AM
I will look into it, but I ride in the hoods 95% of the time, so it would just be for looks.

kimpw
03-29-2015, 07:51 AM
The Dajia handlebars are great, but I'm not sure if they come in wide enough judgi by your bike size

Erik_A
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Yea, I ride 46cm

Ken Robb
03-29-2015, 05:23 PM
It looks like you could ride a bigger frame if one came your way.

4funbikes
03-30-2015, 04:12 AM
Great looking bike.
What is the front fender? I've been having lousy luck with traditional fenders lately.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2015, 06:48 AM
It looks like you could ride a bigger frame if one came your way.

Hard to tell from a pic but larger frame WOULD mean longer headtube but also longer top tube..and that stem is pretty short already..IMHO.

Ken Robb
03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah, it's a slippery slope once we start swapping fit components but that post has a lot of set-back. :) My comment wasn't meant as a criticism of this bike but as a suggestion that he might like a bigger frame if he found a good deal on a bike that looked interesting.

When in school I sold menswear including fine shoes. I sent lots of guys home who "always wore size 10 D" shoes happy as can be in 11C shoes that felt great right out of the box with no break-in required. :banana:

Hat
03-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Hard to tell from a pic but larger frame WOULD mean longer headtube but also longer top tube..and that stem is pretty short already..IMHO.

The Polyvalent already has a 61cm top tube so it's unlikely that a taller frame would be even longer.

Pastashop
03-30-2015, 11:55 AM
The Osprey and the Gryphon from Singular have longish TT in their XL sizes:

http://www.singularcycles.com/tech/

Others have shorter TTs.

Seem like cost-effective alternatives.

kimpw
04-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Also saw Velo Orange had a 60cm polyvalent in their newer blue version. Wish it was a 51...

Erik_A
04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Great looking bike.
What is the front fender? I've been having lousy luck with traditional fenders lately.

It is the Zefal Croozer Road Front Bicycle Fender:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/zefal-croozer-road-front-bicycle-fender-black?gclid=COe1_f-Z1cQCFZCIaQodAJYAUw

It works great going straight - not so much when you turn the front wheel (in the rain).

Erik_A
04-01-2015, 08:27 AM

Yes, I could ride a longer stem for sure.

Erik_A
04-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Yeah, it's a slippery slope once we start swapping fit components but that post has a lot of set-back. :) My comment wasn't meant as a criticism of this bike but as a suggestion that he might like a bigger frame if he found a good deal on a bike that looked interesting.

True, but frames with top-tubes longer than 61cm are rare. The seat-post setback is comfortable for my 6'-4" self, otherwise I would have to raise the seat up higher than I like for commuting.

oldpotatoe
04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
The Polyvalent already has a 61cm top tube so it's unlikely that a taller frame would be even longer.

Really depends, Gunnar has top tubes reaching 62cm. But maybe the next size up has a longer headtube with static top tube.

Ken Robb
04-01-2015, 10:02 AM
I missed reading that this was already the biggest size available but even so I only meant that you might like a bigger frame even if that was a custom that was offered for sale.

pcb
04-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Very cool idea to attach the seatpost rack to the seat tube. I may live a sheltered life, but I don't think I've seen that before. Gets the rack/weight lower, closer to the wheel, always a good thing.

Neat!

Erik_A
04-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Very cool idea to attach the seatpost rack to the seat tube. I may live a sheltered life, but I don't think I've seen that before. Gets the rack/weight lower, closer to the wheel, always a good thing.

Neat!

Thanks, it is helpful to have a large frame and V-brakes (wouldn't work w/ cantilevers).

Erik_A
04-01-2015, 03:25 PM
The brake attachment is a "Travel Agent" by Problem Solvers:

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/