PDA

View Full Version : Winter jacket-evaluation

roadie7
03-28-2015, 12:32 PM
With winter almost gone, I'm going to buy a new jacket for next winter's frigid rides (down to 20 degrees F). I was wondering how many of you used a jacket this winter and would recommend or not recommend it?

Several years ago I had a Castelli jacket that never really worked as well as expected so I didn't buy another one for its replacement.

I'm asking now so I can watch for sales in the coming year. I'm open to both cycling specific and general jackets. The only exception is that, unless a Rapha or Assos is on a super sale, they don't fit into my budget.

Thanks.

Gsinill
03-28-2015, 12:38 PM
I got that (http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10053&langId=-1&categoryId=204696&facet=mfName_ntk_cs%253ANashbar&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=) one on sale for under $50 and it has been great.
Down to the single digits I was perfectly fine with a base layer and a short sleeve jersey.
Chartreuse was another benefit for gloomy winter days.

giverdada
03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Hey man.

I don't know how you plan on riding next winter when the temp drops (somehow it's still minus 17 C here in Toronto at night), but I used a layering system for commuting that worked pretty well.

My main pet peeve with jackets is the elasticized hem. Not sure why it's only my problem, but anything with the hem drawn in means that it will ride up and eventually leave half my butt and definitely my kidneys exposed. Maybe this is because I alternate a lot between standing and sitting and trackstanding. Maybe this is because I have a weird body shape. Either way, I try to avoid the elastic hem, and it's nearly impossible without going to Rapha, who makes the nicest stuff I have.

Because I can't afford a softshell from those guys, I went with a Gore Phantom S/O or whatever it is, in fluorescent yellow. It's a wonderful shell. Plenty durable, very versatile, and windproof in all of the right places. That goes on the outside. It's also decent in warmer wet rides. The sleeves zip off. It takes forever to dry and can get smelly, but washes easily. Underneath, I wear a fleece-ish jacket (like softshell but not at all windproof) from Pearl Izumi, OR a 260-weight Icebreaker shirt with zip neck. Under all that, I wear a base layer of merino or synthetic, each midweight. All of this together kept me riding in -37 C plus windchill, and I could last for 35min. before my hands and toes gave up. Core was warm.

If you're looking for one jacket to layer under, I really like the Gore. Gore makes great riding wear in general, like the winter gloves I wore for two hard winters before they spontaneously and catastrophically failed. I also have a $50 Biemme winter jacket that again, is great, except for the waist. I also bought it Large as it's Italian and I'm a Rapha medium on top, but I should have gone with the extra large. Other shells I've looked at and coveted but had to pass on without testing are the Showers Pass and the Swrve Milwaukee. Those don't seem to have an elasticized hem. I can't speak to their windproofness though, and that's the clincher for me. I also always try to get my winter stuff in extremely bright colors.

Best of luck to you; should be some good sales on for that stuff as the weather warms.

OtayBW
03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Not the whiz-bang, 'de-rigeur' jacket from the 'big boys', but I've used a Gore Xenon 2.0 for the last couple of years with excellent results. Low 20's easily with proper base etc. layer. Probably goes for ~$220 MSRP or so. I really like a lot of the Gore stuff myself, as mentioned above.

djg21
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
I got an Endura Stealth soft-shell jacket a few years back and love it http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=25. It is waterproof, breathes well, and is well-vented. It is suitable for cooler fall days, and the coldest winter days. It has great pockets, and a lash to attach a blinks light above the rear pocket, which I think makes great sense.

makoti
03-28-2015, 03:40 PM
I couldn't wear it down that low (I am not leaving the house at that temp), but I got and love a Castelli Alpha. It just got soaked in a rain storm & I stayed dry. With only a good base layer under it, I'm good to about 35F & up to around 60 before it gets too toasty. Love this thing. Fit is great. If I run across one cheap enough, I'll get a second one.

mvrider
03-28-2015, 04:10 PM
You really shouldn't take the advice of a Californian about winter jackets, but the favorite of my collection is probably the Capo Padrone Thermal Jacket that I picked up on clearance a number of years ago. I have taken it out in 32 F weather, with just a long-sleeve base layer underneath.

lhuerta
03-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Assos 851 is all u need for that temp. I used mine this afternoon with only a Craft baselayer on 25 degree ride with light snow and I was comfortable for full 2 hour ride . I use it for even colder temps with a Craft wind stopper baselayer. U can still find the 851 new or used on this forum or eBay for fair price...best cycling garment I own

makoti
03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Assos 851 is all u need for that temp. I used mine this afternoon with only a Craft baselayer on 25 degree ride with light snow and I was comfortable for full 2 hour ride . I use it for even colder temps with a Craft wind stopper baselayer. U can still find the 851 new or used on this forum or eBay for fair price...best cycling garment I own

+1 on Craft. Nice stuff.

commonguy001
03-28-2015, 04:46 PM
down to twenty degrees I layer under a Rapha Hardshell with a long sleeve jersey and wool long sleeve base and I'm good to go.
The Hardshell is the best jacket I've ever owned, just love it. Got it on clearance for 150 bucks or something like that. Totally worth it

Over the years I've owned a couple Castelli, a couple of Gore and a number of other shells and I really think the Hardshell is far superior in protection and fit to any of them

Peter P.
03-28-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't need a fleece lined or otherwise insulated jacket, even in Connecticut winters.

I find the key to more warmth as the temps drop is to add another layer underneath virtually any cycling shell.

I usually wear a long sleeve base layer, short sleeve jersey, and arm warmers under a coated nylon cycling shell. Mine is from Colorado Cyclist, many years ago. Good down to 30 degrees. If I need more warmth such as down to 20 degrees, I either add another short sleeve jersey or another base layer.

I'll suggest some features: Get some sort of coated nylon or whatever trademarked treatment the vendor uses. Those coatings stop the wind better than any dense weave alone. A zippered rear pocket is nice, as is a draft flap under the zipper.

If it's a rain-proof jacket you need, then you're looking at jackets that will be almost too warm under any other conditions.

If you go the layering route I suggest above, your jacket choices are much wider, and less expensive.

rnhood
03-28-2015, 06:41 PM
I don't need a fleece lined or otherwise insulated jacket, even in Connecticut winters.

I find the key to more warmth as the temps drop is to add another layer underneath virtually any cycling shell.

I usually wear a long sleeve base layer, short sleeve jersey, and arm warmers under a coated nylon cycling shell. Mine is from Colorado Cyclist, many years ago. Good down to 30 degrees. If I need more warmth such as down to 20 degrees, I either add another short sleeve jersey or another base layer.

I'll suggest some features: Get some sort of coated nylon or whatever trademarked treatment the vendor uses. Those coatings stop the wind better than any dense weave alone. A zippered rear pocket is nice, as is a draft flap under the zipper.

If it's a rain-proof jacket you need, then you're looking at jackets that will be almost too warm under any other conditions.

If you go the layering route I suggest above, your jacket choices are much wider, and less expensive.

Agree, laying is the best way to go, and you've described it well. It makes no sense to buy an expensive jacket unless you're wanting something fashionable. Layering with a cheaper shell offers far more versatility.

Alan
03-29-2015, 06:52 AM
I highly recommend the Showers Pass jackets. I have had an Elite jacket for many years and I have worn in down to 20 deg with good success. I wear base layers and long sleeve jerseys below and stay warm w great venting. They have pit zips and very good back venting and the eVent fabric is very good.

Take a look at their site. They also have a new base layer which looks good but I have not tried it yet.

Their jackets will last as long as you want to wear them with minimal work to maintain.

Alan

bcgav
03-29-2015, 07:36 AM
Not the whiz-bang, 'de-rigeur' jacket from the 'big boys', but I've used a Gore Xenon 2.0 for the last couple of years with excellent results. Low 20's easily with proper base etc. layer. Probably goes for ~$220 MSRP or so. I really like a lot of the Gore stuff myself, as mentioned above.

+1 on the Gore. I've a Phantom II Windstopper Softshell down to high 20's using a merino wool baselayer (long sleeve). Toasty and excellent breathability yet stops the wind. Very versatile as well, you can remove the sleeves and use it as a vest.

Gummee
03-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Hey man.

I don't know how you plan on riding next winter when the temp drops (somehow it's still minus 17 C here in Toronto at night), but I used a layering system for commuting that worked pretty well.

My main pet peeve with jackets is the elasticized hem. Not sure why it's only my problem, but anything with the hem drawn in means that it will ride up and eventually leave half my butt and definitely my kidneys exposed. Maybe this is because I alternate a lot between standing and sitting and trackstanding. Maybe this is because I have a weird body shape. Either way, I try to avoid the elastic hem, and it's nearly impossible without going to Rapha, who makes the nicest stuff I have.

Because I can't afford a softshell from those guys, I went with a Gore Phantom S/O or whatever it is, in fluorescent yellow. It's a wonderful shell. Plenty durable, very versatile, and windproof in all of the right places. That goes on the outside. It's also decent in warmer wet rides. The sleeves zip off. It takes forever to dry and can get smelly, but washes easily. Underneath, I wear a fleece-ish jacket (like softshell but not at all windproof) from Pearl Izumi, OR a 260-weight Icebreaker shirt with zip neck. Under all that, I wear a base layer of merino or synthetic, each midweight. All of this together kept me riding in -37 C plus windchill, and I could last for 35min. before my hands and toes gave up. Core was warm.

If you're looking for one jacket to layer under, I really like the Gore. Gore makes great riding wear in general, like the winter gloves I wore for two hard winters before they spontaneously and catastrophically failed. I also have a $50 Biemme winter jacket that again, is great, except for the waist. I also bought it Large as it's Italian and I'm a Rapha medium on top, but I should have gone with the extra large. Other shells I've looked at and coveted but had to pass on without testing are the Showers Pass and the Swrve Milwaukee. Those don't seem to have an elasticized hem. I can't speak to their windproofness though, and that's the clincher for me. I also always try to get my winter stuff in extremely bright colors.

Best of luck to you; should be some good sales on for that stuff as the weather warms.

I've had a Phantom as the go-to jacket in the cold for a few winters now. Good stuff indeed.

I've worn it in several hour wet/sleety rides and have come back dry inside. (fenders helped immensely!)

I have one last year's PBS softshell jackets that I can't wear. Too warm for me. If anyone in the northern climes needs it, I'll sell for cheap. PM me.

Picked up a Sugoi RS180 jacket for days that are in the 40s. Fits more snugly than the Phantom, but is just as windproof. Don't know about how waterproof it is.

I know it isn't specific to cycling, but I think it'll work for folks in the north: North Face Thermoball jacket and/or vest. Very thin. Very warm for its bulk. Layer that under something windproof and you'll probably have a great combo.

M

Tandem Rider
03-29-2015, 08:33 AM
I haven't gotten a winter riding jacket since the 80's and probably never will. For me the key is layers. 1 or 2 base layers, winter jersey, shell or vest. The trick, for me, is to get winter jersies and shell 1 size bigger than the summer stuff.

93legendti
03-29-2015, 12:03 PM
I got that (http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10053&langId=-1&categoryId=204696&facet=mfName_ntk_cs%253ANashbar&metaData=&pageSize=&orderBy=&searchTerm=) one on sale for under $50 and it has been great.
Down to the single digits I was perfectly fine with a base layer and a short sleeve jersey.
Chartreuse was another benefit for gloomy winter days.

This one is similar, but has a few more features...mine is very warm: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1160315_-1___400020

LouDeeter
03-29-2015, 02:59 PM
I'd go with the Endura Air Defense jacket. Best winter jacket I've owned for cycling & I've cycled at zero degrees before--not with this jacket, but I've been cold in others! It has zippered vents under the arms to open if you get overheated and plenty of pockets for your phone and goodies. Not that expensive either.