PDA

View Full Version : For the Wheelbuilders

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 11:49 AM
I've built a lot of wheels. Lately some Velocity and H+Son....but just did a DT440 wheelset, rear OC and once more, I am impressed by how round and flat these rims are.....which means easy build with consistent tension all around while also being very true and round. Nothing worse than trying to get tension fairly even only to see true or round go to hell. The mark of a poorly made rim. The Velocity and H+Son were just fine, but not the ease of DT. Feels like just centering the hub...forza DT....wish they made a tube rim.

As for tube rims, Nemesis the same gig...amazing rims. Anybody want to give me $10k or so to become the US distributor for Ambrosio..

ergott
03-28-2015, 11:54 AM
They do go together real nice. My hypothesis is that they do something extra after extrusion. When extruding, the material is coiled. When cut to circles and joined, rims have a residual yearn to return to the coil which will misalign at the seem. Whatever they do they are getting rid of that.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 12:01 PM
They do go together real nice. My hypothesis is that they do something extra after extrusion. When extruding, the material is coiled. When cut to circles and joined, rims have a residual yearn to return to the coil which will misalign at the seem. Whatever they do they are getting rid of that.

Swiss, who knows, maybe don't want to know:)

Black Dog
03-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I wish that this were true for the Chinese made DT R460. I had to choose between true and even tension. Not disappointed considering the price tag but not the quality that DT is famous for.

Gsinill
03-28-2015, 12:21 PM
...Anybody want to give me $10k or so to become the US distributor for Ambrosio..

I like the idea; is that all it takes?

rockdoc
03-28-2015, 01:30 PM
.... rear OC and once more, I am impressed by how round and flat these rims are.....

OC means off center?

Steve

Black Dog
03-28-2015, 01:52 PM
OC means off center?

Steve

Yes, off centre.

Hindmost
03-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Whatever they do they are getting rid of that.

Do you suppose they anneal the rims once cut and joined?

JLP
03-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Modern rims are just so nice. I sort of feel the same thing about He'd Belgiums. They just seem to want to be true.

don compton
03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
I've built a lot of wheels. Lately some Velocity and H+Son....but just did a DT440 wheelset, rear OC and once more, I am impressed by how round and flat these rims are.....which means easy build with consistent tension all around while also being very true and round. Nothing worse than trying to get tension fairly even only to see true or round go to hell. The mark of a poorly made rim. The Velocity and H+Son were just fine, but not the ease of DT. Feels like just centering the hub...forza DT....wish they made a tube rim.

As for tube rims, Nemesis the same gig...amazing rims. Anybody want to give me $10k or so to become the US distributor for Ambrosio..
How wide are these rims, 19 or 23?

LouDeeter
03-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Google is your friend: http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/RR-440 (http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/RR-440)

21mm outer

oldpotatoe
03-29-2015, 06:34 AM
I wish that this were true for the Chinese made DT R460. I had to choose between true and even tension. Not disappointed considering the price tag but not the quality that DT is famous for.

Built more than a few DT450, instead of bargain basement Mavic OpenSport...

When you don't pay a lot for a rim, you get a cheap rim..I'm kinda surprised they choose to make it a "DT" rather than a 'off' brand. Not 'bad' rims, either..take a lot of time to make them decent tho.

AS for HED..not bad rims..lie somewhere between the other asian rims and DT. Builds nice but not the ease of DT or Ambrosio.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2015, 06:36 AM

It takes money, and some time to go to Italy, with a translator(female recommended, good looking) and do the whole gig in person, in cash. Must have a reliable shipping company/method lined up. Then expect the 'order' you paid for up front will take longer and not be completely accurate.

ultraman6970
03-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Then expect the 'order' you paid for up front will take longer and not be completely accurate. <-- the italian way eh? :D

oldpotatoe
03-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Then expect the 'order' you paid for up front will take longer and not be completely accurate. <-- the italian way eh? :D

Si...and 'domani'...we'll do 'it' tomorrow...

veloduffer
03-30-2015, 07:24 AM

I just got a pair of DT440 wheels with Bitex hubs (28H F&R) to use for the Spring. Came out to 1500g with Stan's tape. I paired them with some 27mm Vittoria Pave CGs (easy to mount too!) and they were very nice on the potholes. We'll see how they hold up but they are very true - good for cross v-brakes to get close to the rim.

Rusty Luggs
03-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks, O.P.
Was thinking of DT440 for next wheels I build. That seals it.

alessandro
03-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Anybody want to give me $10k or so to become the US distributor for Ambrosio..

It takes money, and some time to go to Italy, with a translator(female recommended, good looking) and do the whole gig in person, in cash. Must have a reliable shipping company/method lined up. Then expect the 'order' you paid for up front will take longer and not be completely accurate.

Si...and 'domani'...we'll do 'it' tomorrow...

And THAT is how you do business in Italy. Peter nails it, in <100 words. :banana:

LiveFreeOrDie
03-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Here are the wheels I just from OP in the mail today. A little bit of an unconventional combo but I think they are beautiful. Very nice job! Thanks OP!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/surfingtherms/wheel_1_zpsybyhxcxh.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Here are the wheels I just from OP in the mail today. A little bit of an unconventional combo but I think they are beautiful. Very nice job! Thanks OP!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/surfingtherms/wheel_1_zpsybyhxcxh.jpg

My pleasure and a nice built-record hubs and DT 440.