PDA

View Full Version : Removing Cinelli bar tape

merlinmurph
03-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Any tips on removing this?

I've never had this be such a PITA to remove, and I've used Cinelli tape for years. Seems like the center part of the tape with the stickum is permanently bonded to the bar. It's a mess.

Do you use a solvent?

Thanks,
Murph

Cicli
03-28-2015, 10:53 AM
I used Goof-off. It sucked. Never using that tape again.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 10:54 AM
I stopped using Cinelli and switched to Fizik because of this.
I removed the gum with WD-40.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Any tips on removing this?

I've never had this be such a PITA to remove, and I've used Cinelli tape for years. Seems like the center part of the tape with the stickum is permanently bonded to the bar. It's a mess.

Do you use a solvent?

Thanks,
Murph

It is and why I stopped selling the non gel, with the sticky crap on it, tape.

Scrap and acetone. Time, sense of humor.

merlinmurph
03-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks, guys. I didn't plan on spending an hour today just to remove this stuff. Almost done.

Have a good day,
Murph

OtayBW
03-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I ride with Cinelli non-gel on all my bikes, but I also run a thin layer of 'hockey tape' or similar before I place the Cinelli. No problem - comes right off and gives me just a slight amount of extra cush....

David Kirk
03-28-2015, 03:08 PM
A really big hammer will make the problem go away....not much else will.

dave

Veloo
03-28-2015, 05:49 PM
I like the Fizik tape cuz the glue comes off pretty easily. I take it off before I put the tape on my bars. I think it's worth the bit of effort vs cleaning glue residue off. Never had my tape slide on me and when it's time for new tape, there's no mess.

Rebel_Biker
03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
I have decent success using a heat gun. I keep it on semi low setting and heat the top of the tap when starting to pull. Once the tape is up, you pull the tape up lightly while heating under the tape.

dcama5
03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
I ride with Cinelli non-gel on all my bikes, but I also run a thin layer of 'hockey tape' or similar before I place the Cinelli. No problem - comes right off and gives me just a slight amount of extra cush....

Hockey tape? What's that and where do you get it? Thanks.

eddief
03-28-2015, 06:58 PM
the wayda go.

Plum Hill
03-28-2015, 07:20 PM
I've been using a base layer of friction tape for years. Cinelli tape can be removed and rewrapped. If any messy glue residue is left behind, I simply take the friction tape off and, viola, clean bars. Start over with another base of friction tape.

Rumor has LBS started doing it after my friend got a new bike and said to wrap the bars "like Dave does".

Dave

BTW any hardware store employee under 50 won't have a clue what friction tape is.

josephr
03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I used Goof-off. It sucked. Never using that tape again.

+1 on goof-off....I asked this question a few months ago after trying alcohol and other ideas --- goof-off was the only thing that really worked. Switched to Fizik.

OtayBW
03-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Hockey tape? What's that and where do you get it? Thanks.'Hockey tape' is a lightweight black (or white) cloth tape used to tape up the blade or handle or a hockey stick or similar, etc. It is usually lighter than friction tape and does not have a rubber base. Adds very little to the overall bar wrap thickness just enough for my taste. Something like this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/products/hockey-tape.jsp

Russian bear
03-28-2015, 10:45 PM
I haven't had this issue with Cinelli as much as with Deda tape, what a mess. The sticky strip was so strong that it tore off the tape and remained on the bars. Used some acetone and elbow grease, got it out.

Dead Man
03-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Last couple times I re-wrapped, I've done a base layer of electrical tape.. doesn't stick to that stuff like bare bar, but even if it does, I just rip it off and re-wrap anyway.

I do this to keep sweat/rainwater off the bar, BTW - works perfect. No more corrosion under my tape! Makes re-wrapping the bar kind of a PITA, but I also don't feel compelled to do it as often, knowing the bar doesn't have sweat sitting on it all the time.

merlinmurph
03-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Last couple times I re-wrapped, I've done a base layer of electrical tape.. doesn't stick to that stuff like bare bar, but even if it does, I just rip it off and re-wrap anyway.

Since I still have 2 rolls of Cinelli left, I did the same thing. I had tape on the top of the bar anyway to hold the cables, so I just added some to the bottom, too, to avoid this headache next time.

fuzzalow
03-29-2015, 06:12 PM
I have been, and continue to be, a Cinelli cork tape user for many years. Maybe for decades if it has been around that long. Only their standard cork, no gel or any hoity-toity deluxe wrap.

I loathe anecdotal evidence but for this one, it's all I've got. And it is that Cinelli made a mistake in changing their cork tape adhesive backing for a short time but then they changed it back. It was this bad run of bar tape that had the impossible to remove adhesive backing. I'd guess stock from about 2 or 3 years ago.

All the Cinelli cork tape I've bought in the last year is back to the old stripe-of-glue goodness - meaning you could unwrap the tape to change cable housing and rewrap/reuse the old tape. Just like the good old days.