PDA

View Full Version : Question about cleat position on shoes

Alan
03-28-2015, 08:48 AM
My main shoes are Specialized Pro Road and I really like them as the cleat holes/bolts are located far down on the sole towards the heel which allow me to move the cleats back as far as I can driving my foot forward on the Time RXS pedals that I am using. So far so good.

I have another pair of shoes which are Sidi Genius 5s. The cleat holes/bolts are not drilled as far back as on the Specialized shoes and the difference is noticeable when I use them on the bike. It is not easy to measure but looks to be about 15 mm difference which doesn't sound like much but it is.

I'd like both shoes to be setup a similar way so I can wear both pairs of shoes and the difference is not noticeable.

I don't want to redrill the cleat holes on the Sidis though I guess I could try this. Any thoughts on pedals/cleats that have a longer setback than the Time RXS pedals that I can try? Or any other ideas?

I think I am stuck buying another pair of Specialized shoes but thought I would ask for help.

Steve Hogg has an article on cleat positioning as below that seems like a reasonable starting point. I prefer cleats back as far as possible.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

Thanks,

Alan

gone
03-28-2015, 09:02 AM
One suggestion (that I use) are Speedplay zero pedals with the cleat extender kit:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Cleat+Extender+Base+Plate+Kit&vendorCode=SPEDPLAY&major=5&minor=6

These allow the cleats to be moved an additional 14mm back and I use them specifically because I have the same problem as you with some shoes.

quattro
03-28-2015, 09:06 AM
If you are looking for a new pair of shoes, check out the Shimano 321, they have the most adjustment for cleat placement that I have seen on any shoe.
Good luck.

hankchong
03-28-2015, 09:34 AM
One suggestion (that I use) are Speedplay zero pedals with the cleat extender kit:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Cleat+Extender+Base+Plate+Kit&vendorCode=SPEDPLAY&major=5&minor=6

These allow the cleats to be moved an additional 14mm back and I use them specifically because I have the same problem as you with some shoes.

Can those cleat extenders be used to mate old school Time cleats (e.g., for Equipe Pro pedals) to three-hole drilled shoes?

rnhood
03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
If you are looking for a new pair of shoes, check out the Shimano 321, they have the most adjustment for cleat placement that I have seen on any shoe.
Good luck.

This is true of their new 171 shoe also, and its quite a bit less money. Shimano shoes, like Specialized shoes, are excellent...in every way.

My recommendation to the OP is to stick with the Pro Road since he knows they fit and work. I've never liked the idea of redrilling due to complications that can arise. But I guess it works when done properly. If I was going to pursue this, I would send them out to have it done (assuming there is an outfit that does it).

But those new Shimano shoes are really nice....

Grant McLean
03-28-2015, 10:25 AM
I think I am stuck buying another pair of Specialized shoes but thought I would ask for help.

I wouldn't consider it being "stuck" buying another pair of shoes if they work
for you. You don't know how good you have it if an easily available and not
too expensive shoe does the job for you. Feet are the most important interface
with the bike. You should be thrilled to buy a second pair, and enjoy the ride.

-g

Pastashop
03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Can those cleat extenders be used to mate old school Time cleats (e.g., for Equipe Pro pedals) to three-hole drilled shoes?

Or, for that matter, do these adapters let the 4-bolt cleats (old Time and Speedplay) be mounted further back, but without a big penalty in stack height? (It just isn't clear at all how this arrangement is supposed to work.)

gone
03-28-2015, 01:53 PM
To those that asked if the cleat extenders could be used to mount other styles of 4 bolt cleats the quick answer is "I don't know" because I've never tried it with anything other than Speedplay zero cleats. I'd guess the answer is "no" though from looking at the extenders.

The way they work is they replace the regular Speedplay baseplate with a metal plate that has three slots machined in it for affixing the plate to the shoes then 4 threaded holes for mounting the cleats to the plate.

regularguy412
03-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I had an 'old' pair of Shimano shoes (1995). The cleat holes were in the 'right' place. I bought a pair of new Shimano shoes in 2006 and I had the same problem you do. I couldn't get the cleats back far enough. I mean, the holes needed only be back about 3 mm. Doesn't sound like much, but I went to the S-Works shoe just for that specific reason. Now I don't have calf cramping at all when I wear the S-Works shoes. I still use the 2006 Shimano's occasionally when I ride in questionable weather on my backup bike. Still get the calf cramping occasionally, too when I wear them.

Get the Spec's and don't look back.

Mike in AR:beer:

uber
03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Bonts have holes drilled considerably further back than the Sidi Genius. Giro is between the two.

Alan
03-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Buying another pair of Specialized shoes is not a bad idea. I have narrow feet (A width) and it is Specialized or Sidis or custom as all others run too wide. These are the only 2 brands that I know that have a real narrow width which is usually a B/C with so it gets me close.

Alan