PDA

View Full Version : how do I put my spare on?

pdxmech13
04-13-2006, 10:02 PM
After two weeks of riding with the tubi's my only complaint is how the spare is mounted. On any long fast decent the thingmoves and then rubs the back of my legs. Lets just say it dosn't turn me on. I currently have it mounted on a zero offset post with the strap tied around the center of the tubular and around the seat rails. It moves and comes around the side of the post. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that there are some long time users here so thanks in advance for your time.

P.s. can't take any foto's because my special lady friend lost my fire wire for the camera. :fight:

Fixed
04-13-2006, 10:04 PM
bro baggie and center jersey pocket
imho
cheers

pdxmech13
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I already feel like a Nepalese sherpa

Fixed
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
bro I can fit a tubular in a standard trek seat bag. get all the air out, fold it up tight and push .
cheers

vaxn8r
04-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I fold mine tight, ends up about 3x6 in, and wrap with elec tape (about 2 revolutions. Then I attach vertically under the seat rails with a toe strap cinched tight. Works for me.

KevinK
04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
A spare tubular fits PERFECTLY in a small FedEx tyvek FedPak. And if you really care, you can get it so the FedEx logo is centered proudly off the back. The Tyvek is very durable without being abrasive. As for securing it, use a toe strap and double loop it around the seat rails and the spare. Make sure that BOTH loops go around the seat rails, in other words, DON'T wrap the first loop just around the spare and the second around the rails. With both loops around the spare and rails and tightened securely, the spare will sit snuggly between the rails and not move at all. I have the round end (not the double end) of the folded tubular against the seatpost and it stays perfectly centered.

Kevin

http://www.koguitars.com/spare_tubie.jpg

Too Tall
04-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Roll your tubie so it has some vertical dimension and use a piece of cotton rag to secure it before using the toe strap. A really nice carrier are the old Wolber or Zeus tubular tire holders that bolt to your saddle rails...lots on ebray avail. Another nice way to carry that important second tyre for long hauls is to toe strap it to the seat stay above the rear brake.

sspielman
04-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Another nice way to carry that important second tyre for long hauls is to toe strap it to the seat stay above the rear brake.

...you can tell the guys with big frame sizes......

stevep
04-14-2006, 06:52 AM
this is a secret art form that determines your place in the heirarchy of cyclists.
participate carefully.
somewhere between "fred" and "guru" will be determined by your solution.

sspielman
04-14-2006, 07:00 AM
this is a secret art form that determines your place in the heirarchy of cyclists.
participate carefully.
somewhere between "fred" and "guru" will be determined by your solution.

It is funny but true. The spare really should be folded properly....and to a size no larger than a fist...and secured tightly to the saddle rails with a toestrap....with its loose end tucked neatly under the saddle

znfdl
04-14-2006, 07:36 AM
get clinchers.

shaq-d
04-14-2006, 08:00 AM
what's the point of riding with a spare tubular...? the weight savings on the tubular are nixed by actually having to carry a spare? or is the ride so good that tubulars are better even if heavier in sum?

i would never carry a spare clincher?

sd

theprep
04-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Definately don't use the Fed Ex bag, geeky.

You have to be careful when carrying a tubular tire under your seat. If you just coil it up under there, the sidewall rubber could rub away on the seat rails and expose the casing/cords.

I fold as follows:

-lay tire on flat, clean surface
-Rubber side down, tape side up
-pull tire tight with valve at one folded end
-you should have two parallel strips of tape, right next to each other staring back at you
-start folding at the non-valve end
-fold over maybe the first 4", and continue to fold until you reach the valve end
-You should always have rubber against the tape as you fold and never tape against tape because it will stick due to the glue.
-when you strap the tire to the underside of the seat the rubber will be contacting the seat rails and protect the tire casing.
-the base tape will be nicely protected from road grime as well
-If done correctly you will have a small little bundle under the seat, smaller and less noticable than a saddle bag.

Upon re-reading I am not sure this proceedure makes any sense. If it does not, let me know and I will illustrate with some photos.

OR

Throw tire in your Jersey pocket

OR

Carry in saddle bag

Good Luck!

stevep
04-14-2006, 08:09 AM
crackpot mo will teach a class in tubular folding.
3 3 hour sessions require a downpayment of $200 to hold a slot. always sells out.
call 1-800-crackpot for a reservation.

stevep
04-14-2006, 08:11 AM
crackpot mo has awarded kevin a $20 scholarship to the class.
fed ex bag..works great... but declasse'.
sorry, take the scholarship.

djg
04-14-2006, 08:13 AM
what's the point of riding with a spare tubular...? the weight savings on the tubular are nixed by actually having to carry a spare? or is the ride so good that tubulars are better even if heavier in sum?

sd

I cannot speak for others, but I carry a spare tubular so that I don't have to break out the patch kit or walk home if I get a flat.

If you're in an event where every last bit of weight savings matters--whether mechanically or psychologically--you might have support and might leave the spare off the bike.

sspielman
04-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Okay....don't jump on me for this, because I didn't make the rule, but it should be obeyed....A spare tubular really should not be carried in a saddle bag. A bag used in this way is referred to as a "scr*tum sac"...not criticising...just recognising....

Fixed
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM

sd
bro it's an old school thang for bros ....tradition
cheers

Mud
04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
about tubulars vs clinchers. I will add my two cents before talking about the bag. I remember a post from TT a while back about a disaster averted with tubies. While this is extreme (and so is TT) I really do feel better on tubies just for the pinchflat issue. Last year about this time it did not take very long for our new Conti 3000s to be cut to ribbons. So far no problems at all (we run the Tufo 215 gram tires at ~ 105/100).

Now to carrying the tubie, I use one of those bags designed for tubies. I realize they are geek city and it would be far more chic to tape it in a Fedex bag but then I would have to undo everything just to clean or work on the bike. The bag goes on and off instantly. Plus I carry CO2, a mini tool, Tufo goop, some money and a Campy and a Shimano quick link all in the bag.

Fixed mentioned shirt pockets but I still have my Hammer Gel, A tube of Brave Soldier snargly cream and a cell phone. My only other choice is to buy one of those bags that Wallingford sells so I could keep my Mom in the bag and not have to worry about a phone call. (She is almost 93, still has her fastball and lives with us, but she worries).

Since I ride with my wife 99% of the time I used to carry 4 tubes in my pack and needed them on some rides, she also carried a couple so weight is pretty even between tubes and tubies. I am not a minimalist.

I would rather feel I have enough stuff and not worry about being on a route where there are no other riders (which happened after a blowout 3 bad tubes and 4 bad CO2s) and a ten mile ride to find a pump on a flat clincher.

As I said, my two cents. With all the crap the bike still weighs about 19# and hers about 17# so we can live with it.

Too Tall
04-14-2006, 08:44 AM
"I say that any boob can take and shove a ball in a pocket
And I call that sloth"

"Remember my friends, listen to me,
because I pass this way but once"

================================================== ======

Well, ya got trouble, my friend.
Right here, I say trouble right here in River City
Why, sure, I'm a billiard player
Certainly mighty proud to say,
I'm always mighty proud to say it
I consider the hours I spend with a cue in my hand are golden
Help you cultivate horse sense and a cool head and a keen eye
Didja ever take an' try an' give an iron clad leave
to yourself from a three-rail billiard shot?
But just as I say it takes judgement, brains and maturity
to score in a balk-line game
I say that any boob can take and shove a ball in a pocket
And I call that sloth,
the first big step on the road to the depths of degreda-
I say, first- medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
then beer from a bottle
And the next thing you know your son is playin'
for money in a pinchback suit
and listenin' to some big out-o'-town jasper
Hear him tell about horserace gamblin'
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no,
but a race where they set down right on the horse
Like to see some stuck up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch?
Make your blood boil, well I should say
Now, folks, let me show you what I mean
You got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table
Pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman and a bum
With a capital 'B' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'

And all week long, your River City youth'll be fritterin' away
I say, your young men'll be fritterin'
Fritterin' away their noontime, suppertime, choretime, too
Hit the ball in the pocket
Never mind gettin' dandelions pulled or the screen door patched
or the beefsteak pounded
Never mind pumpin' any water 'til your parents are caught
with a cistern empty on a Saturday night and that's trouble
Oh, ya got lots and lots o' trouble
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers shirttails,
young ones peekin' in the pool hall window after school
Ya got trouble, folks, right here in River City
with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'

Now I know all you folks are the right kind of parents
I'm gonna be perfectly frank
Would you like to know what kind of conversation goes on
while they're loafin' around that hall
They'll be tryin' out Bevo, tryin' out Cubebs,
tryin' out tailor-mades like cigarette fiends
And braggin' all about how they're gonna cover up
a tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen
Now one fine night they leave the pool hall
headin' for the dance at the Armory
Libertine men and scarlet women and ragtime
Shameless music that'll grab your son, your daughter
into the arms of a jungle animal instinct- massteria!
Friends, the idle brain is the devil's playground, trouble!

Oh, we got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here in River City
With a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'
That stands for pool
We surely got trouble
We surely got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here

Gotta figure out a way to keep the young ones
moral after school

Spoken:
Mothers of River City,
heed this warning before it's too late
Watch for the tell-tale signs of corruption
The minute your son leaves the house
does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee?
Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger?
A dime novel hidden in the corncrib?
Is he starting to memorize jokes
from Cap'n Billy's Whizbang?
Are certain words creeping into his conversation?
Words like... swell?
And... 'so's your old man'?
Well if so, my friends...

Ya got trouble
Oh, we got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here in River City
With a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'
That stands for pool
We've surely got trouble
We surely got trouble
Right here in River City
Right here

Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock and the Golden Rule?
Oho, we got trouble
We're in terrible, terrible trouble
That game with the fifteen numbered balls is the devil's tool
Devil's tool
Yes, we've got trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, yes, we got trouble here, we got big, big trouble
With a 'T'

With a capital 'T'
And that rhymes with 'P'
That rhymes with 'P'
And that stands for pool
That stands for pool

Remember my friends, listen to me,
because I pass this way but once

(chant 'trouble', etc.)

Big Dan
04-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Middle back pocket for me.....and 2- CO2's......... :D

zap
04-14-2006, 09:23 AM
ATZ, anything hanging from the saddle is so........"FRED".

As fixed say's, in the back ctr. pocket. Side pockets can carry other stuff if needed.

Better yet, get Tufo's and squirt some sealant in there or place the sealant kit with your other stuff in the back pocket. And hope that you won't have a real big cut.

spiderman
04-14-2006, 09:33 AM
i stretch mine out
from the rails to above the rear fender on my fixed
or above the rear brake on the ottrott
and secure it with hair do-dad cast offs from my daughters.
two on the tubular itself spaced at 1/3 intervals
and two securing it to the bike itself
at the rails and low on the seatpost.
sometimes a third mid tubular as well.
i have my wife's looking a bit nicer.
i tuck it under her brooks saddle bag...
...it kind of arcs underneath
out of site
...kind of artistically.

04-14-2006, 09:41 AM
First, and most critical, you always ALWAYS ALWAYS fasten your tubular to the saddle with a Binda Extra toe strap. Nothing else will work properly. If you can't find the proper laminated Extra strap in tan, you can at least score merit points for strapping it on with an old double toe strap from the track.

Second, you are minimally allowed to put it in a greyed-out old white sock, which keeps the crud off, avoids toe strap chafe, but lets it breathe and dry out after a rain. No GoldToe please.

Third, the folding method is absolutely critical. There is major feng shui to the correct folding method. It's like lowering your bottom bracket a couple centimeters, or riding after a cortisone injection. Jennifer described a variant on theprep's method a while back, which is the classic Anquetil technique of the 60's. I can't seem to generate a link back to it, so if anyone can find it, please post it. Remember, everyone will be viewing you from behind anyway once you fold your tubular correctly.

Fourth, if you are in really wet territory, Jandd makes a nice if somewhat bulky tubular bag (which Tufo rebrands, and is available from World Class Cycles). The tubular bag actually has some extra merit points if you are having to carry CO-2 cartridges and a couple allen wrenches and the like. Not quite kosher, but acceptable in a pinch.

Putting a tire in your pocket is just excessively retro. If you're riding a Hetchins it might be in order, but honestly, there are more messengers and fixie fanatics chasing the Hetchins these days than you'll find on this forum.

Tufo sealant, in my experience, doesn't work on non-Tufo tubulars. It just needs a bit more wall thickness to seal properly, and a lightweight tubular innertube just doesn't have it. The result is very unpredictable at best. I don't even think it does that well in Tufo's (at least at full road pressures), but that's another post. Keep it for cyclocross.

However, that doesn't mean you want to go out without a spare, or with only a tubular repair kit. Either solution is courting disaster. If you like to go that way, I'd just be sure you're carrying taxi fare and a cell phone.

pdxmech13
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
i have the entire day off and what better to do with it than drink franzia out of the box watch days of our lives and practice feung shui on that tubi. Thanks guys for the instructions.

SteveP your check has been sent. Seeing as though I have a short attention span I sent the amount for two classes. ;)

pdxmech13
04-14-2006, 05:57 PM
After two boxes of wine
it shall be mounted on
the seat tube mast.

nobrakes
04-14-2006, 07:08 PM
You could wrap the spare around your arms ala Coppi, or toss the spare and carry a much lighter cell phone, call the wife...this method has worked for me.

vaxn8r
04-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Well I was going to post some photos but the upload manager keeps saying the file is too big. It isn't. Oh well, maybe try another day.

Fixed
04-14-2006, 08:05 PM
vaxn8r you got some nice things there bro . i.m.h.o...
..I 've never seen anything like thing 1 before nice paint
cheers

vaxn8r
04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks man. My pride and joy. Love it. Love it. Love it!

pdxmech13
04-14-2006, 09:04 PM
touche'

Louis
04-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Let's face it guys, the only reason cyclists use tubulars is not that they are actually better than clinchers, but because they allow the users to show how cool they are. The tires become part of a ritual that only a select few know / understand. Mounting them on an old rim for 6 months to stretch them out, the big choice of tape vs cement, even carrying the spare is done just so, and if you don't get it right you're a loser / poser / fred / whatever.

It's like any niche activity, where participants vie to show who is the most hard core.

I think I'll stick to clinchers...

Louis

jerk
04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
mad painful. but a few options because the jerk loves you all.

1. cut a water bottle in half. stick the little bastard in it along with your co2 and whatever other junk you need. make sure you use your seat tube mounted cage.

2. carry a shi'itey track tubular tire in your back pocket.

3. ride with someone following one of the above rules.

4. have a team car follow you on your training rides.

jerk

vaxn8r
04-14-2006, 09:58 PM
mad painful. but a few options because the jerk loves you all.

1. cut a water bottle in half. stick the little bastard in it along with your co2 and whatever other junk you need. make sure you use your seat tube mounted cage.

jerk
Now that's a good idea. Thanks Jerk!

shaq-d
04-15-2006, 05:19 AM
bro it's an old school thang for bros ....tradition
cheers

ah indeed..my goal for this season is to get me a pair of tubbies, all because of this forum...

sd

Too Tall
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Gesh, I def. do not ride tubulars because of my elitist 'tude

DOH!

CalfeeFly
04-16-2006, 12:15 PM
My solution...
*Very Little Added Weight
*Fits in a Small Bag
*Uses a Pump

I bought a Tufo Track Tubular for a spare. I only want it to get back since I don't plan to continue any long trips on an unglued tubular. It weighs something like 125 grams (I forget exactly) and fits easily into a Pearl Tailgater which is a nice small bag. With the logistics of a tubular I carry a Carbonio pump instead of my CO2.

Light, compact weighs hardly more than a tube...the perfect solution. When I get home then I replace it with a conventional tubular and it goes back into the bag for the rare occassion that I need it.