PDA

View Full Version : House Industries rocks it

tiretrax
03-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Inspired by collaboration with e-richie? Merci.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/27/house-industries-velo-serif-cycling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gearpatrol+%28Gear+Patrol%29

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2015, 05:50 PM
. . . should be posting in the narcissist thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=165652)! :p :rolleyes:

BBD

Lewis Moon
03-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Jeebus, will someone just stop the elitist, pseudo classic, hipster pleasing bespoke wanking?

joosttx
03-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Jeebus, will someone just stop the elitist, pseudo classic, hipster pleasing bespoke wanking?

That elitist wanking hipster (which he is none) could ride you into an early grave fella.

happycampyer
03-27-2015, 06:41 PM
He didn't inhale.

Hank Scorpio
03-27-2015, 06:51 PM
I seriously doubt Dan C. would ever need a triple.

Tim Porter
03-27-2015, 06:53 PM
If you aren't laughing out loud at that because of its sheer playfulness, you need to beg, borrow or steal a sense of humor, imho.

Dustin
03-27-2015, 06:53 PM
How many levels of irony are going on? They might not even know anymore.

Climb01742
03-27-2015, 07:02 PM
I think two things were firmly planted in their cheeks, their tongue and that smoke. Made me laugh. Which was the intent no?

bcgav
03-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Hilarious.

Reminds me of the organized century I rode where a guy pulled up in a pickup truck, parked next to me, grabbed his bike out of the bed (laying down loose), fired up a cigarette, then geared up and went out after I said hi. After I finished and was hanging around with friends consuming liquid carbs, he rolled in and immediately fired up another butt as he threw his bike in the bed.

It broke my brain.

fuzzalow
03-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Image is everything. Even if that video said absolutely nothing. "Feel the font"!

sparky33
03-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Hilarious.

Reminds me of the organized century I rode where a guy pulled up in a pickup truck, parked next to me, grabbed his bike out of the bed (laying down loose), fired up a cigarette, then geared up and went out after I said hi. After I finished and was hanging around with friends consuming liquid carbs, he rolled in and immediately fired up another butt as he threw his bike in the bed.

It broke my brain.

Doing is wrong is the best.
It makes doing it right seem a bit wrong for a moment.

pdmtong
03-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Image is everything. Even if that video said absolutely nothing. "Feel the font"!

Rich Roat (House) and Simon Mottram (Rapha founder) premiered the House bikes and soft/hard goods at the SF Rapha Cycle Club a few weeks ago. Beautiful stuff. Rich was a bit surprised someone from the west coast (me) knew of House. C'mon...the first thing I said was great job on the Sachs team CX bikes. Simon was very humble - he laughingly acknowledged Rapha moving from the black/white era into full hi-def colour.

If you guys could see these House bikes and products you'd love them.

FlashUNC
03-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Of course they got Chabanov for that. That was fantastic.

And I think the font is pretty solid too.

joosttx
03-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Of course they got Chabanov for that. That was fantastic.

And I think the font is pretty solid too.

Actually was talking to someone today about them doing the logo for a new product I'm launching.

moose8
03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Those paul brakes look pretty sweet to me.

mg2ride
03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
$249 for a Font? Make's a overpriced fitting seem like a steal.

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 08:59 PM

hmmm you have no idea what you are talking about. Did you ever even buy a font?

I don't even like the velo font (I kind of hate it but house industries does have some nice fonts) but fonts are expensive, someone has to make it and that someone costs money. I am not sure what you do for a living but I am sure someone could say the same thing about your job.

FlashUNC
03-27-2015, 09:20 PM
hmmm you have no idea what you are talking about. Did you ever even buy a font?

I don't even like the velo font (I kind of hate it but house industries does have some nice fonts) but fonts are expensive, someone has to make it and that someone costs money. I am not sure what you do for a living but I am sure someone could say the same thing about your job.

Company I work for commissioned a new corporate font for all internal and external materials. I'd rather not think about how much it cost.

fuzzalow
03-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Rich Roat (House) and Simon Mottram (Rapha founder) premiered the House bikes and soft/hard goods at the SF Rapha Cycle Club a few weeks ago. Beautiful stuff. Rich was a bit surprised someone from the west coast (me) knew of House. C'mon...the first thing I said was great job on the Sachs team CX bikes. Simon was very humble - he laughingly acknowledged Rapha moving from the black/white era into full hi-def colour.

If you guys could see these House bikes and products you'd love them.

I envy that you get to see stuff like this with regularity. I saw the Sachs Team CX bike displayed in the new House Industries livery last year at Rapha-Meatpacking. That show came and went with little fanfare.

That fonts video was only a minute long, it was only made to invoke a vibe about what was behind its creation and the ability of HI to tap into that vibe. I liked it and though it was well done.

That's uninformed and reflects your naiveté more than it could be taken by as rude. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice an opinion but to base it on your personal view of monetary expense is useful only to you and frankly, missed the mark by a considerable margin. Were you running a business you certainly would evaluate the font & its expense differently. People do not work for free. Talented people do not work cheaply.

bcgav
03-27-2015, 09:40 PM
That's uninformed and reflects your naiveté more than it could be taken by as rude. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice an opinion but to base it on your personal view of monetary expense is useful only to you and frankly, missed the mark by a considerable margin. Were you running a business you certainly would evaluate the font & its expense differently. People do not work for free. Talented people do not work cheaply.

Yup, typography is taken for granted. Helvetica (http://www.hustwit.com/category/helvetica/) movie +1.

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 09:54 PM
fuzzalow, that is very well said.

joosttx
03-27-2015, 10:08 PM
fuzzalow, that is very well said.

+1

happycampyer
03-27-2015, 10:21 PM
I believe the proper term is "typeface;" the term "font" refers to the size, weight, etc. of the typeface (from back in the day when printers actually set type).

As to cost, here is some idea of what a custom typeface might cost (which FlashUNC alluded to):

How much does it cost to custom design a typeface? (http://www.quora.com/How-much-does-it-cost-to-custom-design-a-typeface)

mg2ride
03-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Really?

Cicli
03-28-2015, 04:22 AM
I guess I don't get it.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Inspired by collaboration with e-richie? Merci.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/27/house-industries-velo-serif-cycling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gearpatrol+%28Gear+Patrol%29

Starts with a guy smoking..brilliant, not at all. Maybe a fast forward 2-3 years and a video of the guy in the 'show' with half his jaw missing or maybe his coffin..not impressed. Something that I will never buy, endorse, recommend, use.

All it takes is a close relative with cancer to be completely turned off by this 'spectacle'...BS..

Sent an email to them mentioning I thought the idea was poor..can't wait till they slam me on faceF__k...

Gummee
03-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Starts with a guy smoking..brilliant, not at all. Maybe a fast forward 2-3 years and a video of the guy in the 'show' with half his jaw missing or maybe his coffin..not impressed. Something that I will never buy, endorse, recommend, use.

All it takes is a close relative with cancer to be completely turned off by this 'spectacle'...BS..
I don't even have a relative with cancer and *I* was so turned off I turned off the video.

Ugh. Smoking?!

I don't care who you think you are, if you're going to promote smoking, I'm not having anything to do with it.

M

fuzzalow
03-28-2015, 08:07 AM
HaHa, I guess I've discovered some of the forum membership that is in the typography industry! Good on you gentlemen for making it in a creative field such as this one. The somewhat philistine attitude expressed in this thread on typography is just that.

Yup, typography is taken for granted. Helvetica (http://www.hustwit.com/category/helvetica/) movie +1.

Yes, good documentary. I saw that film years ago and it can help those that do not understand get a handle on what it is about.

That film for me left me with a quote said by someone interviewed in the film that stood out and I've not forgotten - y'know sorta like "Leave the gun, take the cannoli". And that quote was: "Bad taste is ubiquitous".

shovelhd
03-28-2015, 09:41 AM
oh the humanity

Burnette
03-28-2015, 10:18 AM
House Industries has some neat knick knacks, cool, fonts and stuff, I dig it.
Other than the brakes and saddle, the bike in that color in the video is sharp.
The video is disjointed and creepy though.
Great design people they are, advertising gurus they ain't.
Friends shouldn't let friends do stuff that professionals are better at.
And why do people want to mimic the French to hawk bike stuff?
Who is that turining on?
After the initial roll out of the House brand bikes and now this video, I'm not sure who they are trying to attract.
Fixie riders who want gears?
Creepy Rapha tourers who smoke and lear at you?
Put that guy in the video in NYC and let him ride that bike messenger style (wasn't he a bike messenger at one point? or was it his team mate?) and video tape that with some cool music, sans that "can't get on with" humorless French narration.
But, it's just a video, they were probably just having fun.
Neat bikes, like the design. That bike just looks right to me.
And design is what they do very well. I want one of those damn wood fish they sell for no good reason and nowhere to put it. I lied, I want three of them, there are three different designs of that same fish.
Crap, now I want to go to their site to see if they added any new stuff.
I recant everything I said above. They are geniuses.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 11:41 AM
House Industries has some neat knick knacks, cool, fonts and stuff, I dig it.
Other than the brakes and saddle, the bike in that color in the video is sharp.
The video is disjointed and creepy though.
Great design people they are, advertising gurus they ain't.
Friends shouldn't let friends do stuff that professionals are better at.
And why do people want to mimic the French to hawk bike stuff?
Who is that turining on?
After the initial roll out of the House brand bikes and now this video, I'm not sure who they are trying to attract.
Fixie riders who want gears?
Creepy Rapha tourers who smoke and lear at you?
Put that guy in the video in NYC and let him ride that bike messenger style (wasn't he a bike messenger at one point? or was it his team mate?) and video tape that with some cool music, sans that "can't get on with" humorless French narration.
But, it's just a video, they were probably just having fun.
Neat bikes, like the design. That bike just looks right to me.
And design is what they do very well. I want one of those damn wood fish they sell for no good reason and nowhere to put it. I lied, I want three of them, there are three different designs of that same fish.
Crap, now I want to go to their site to see if they added any new stuff.
I recant everything I said above. They are geniuses.

cancer is great fun....they are clueless. 21st century, smoking isn't 'cool', it's stupid.

FlashUNC
03-28-2015, 11:49 AM
There's times we need Rainier Wolfcastle.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/20/2011971352a6bd54a1739fed541ae8ec783920c81ae0b40303 a9415c235991ad.jpg

Absolutely zero percent of that video was serious, and all of it was skewering that pretentious romanticizing of the sport.

The overlap between those who hate Rapha videos, and hate this video despite it essentially mocking every Rapha video in existence, is interesting.

R3awak3n
03-28-2015, 11:53 AM
smoking was always stupid, well technically. Smoking is still "cool", tons of teenagers picking it up... I see it all the time in NYC.

I used to smoke, pack a day, quit 3 years ago cold turkey. Glad I did, ···· is definitely stupid.

I will tell you this though, this video is not promoting smoking, there is 0 ppl that will look at that and say, wow, that guy looks cool smoking, I am going to start. I think this went over peoples heads.

But hey, I don't even like the video, editing is a bit wonky, pointless story and the on purpose french voice over. However I am not at all offended by it.

beeatnik
03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
OldP, did you write a letter to AMC as well?

Cicli
03-28-2015, 12:33 PM

I have to say, I have given that clip and the site a couple of views. The video is lame and their products are overpriced. At least Rapha has a unique product, all these guys did was junk up others products that started out nice. King cages, Paul brakes and the such. Looks like expensive hipster crap to me. Sorry.

victoryfactory
03-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Most folks don't remember that Adobe started out as a font company.
And they attacked anybody who used their stuff without paying.
Until the desktop publishing boom made it impossible to protect the
fonts. That business went to "Helvetica" in a hurry.

rnhood
03-28-2015, 03:58 PM
The difference is Adobe was early on the scene with fonts, and timing is everything these days. And they also have smart people at the helm.

With all the computer graphics programs around, designing fonts is elementary. However, skilled people will still do a better job of fitting the font to exactly what the client desires. That's probably the strength of House Ind.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Mad Men is about something that was common 40-50 years ago. Not for something meant for today, today's audience but I will say I have never seen an episode nor will I. They could have gotten their 'message' across without this guy smoking. Not sure MadMen could be accurate w/o it. My opinion. Comes from a son being treated for cancer right now.

I'm out of this one. I will not argue with anybody who tries to argue in favor of this BS video.

Cicli
03-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Mad Men is about something that was common 40-50 years ago. Not for something meant for today, today's audience but I will say I have never seen an episode nor will I. They could have gotten their 'message' across without this guy smoking. Not sure MadMen could be accurate w/o it. My opinion. Comes from a son being treated for cancer right now.

Damn. I f'in hate cancer.

tiretrax
03-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. Lost too many friends to it. I posted the video b/c it's so pretentious and silly, but I think the design is nice. Sorry for the haters. Oh, and Paul brakes and Brooks saddles - really, overpriced crap?

beeatnik
03-28-2015, 10:41 PM

Best of luck to your son. And I truly empathize with your situation. Cancer is a muthafuker. My mom fought it for 20 years (2 recurrences) and my brother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's at 25. As an adult, I've spent hundreds of days in cancer wards. As I understand it, the only cancers for which there is a known, environmental trigger are smoking-related. While I believe that addiction is a disease, there is still an element of choice. My mother and brother were both healthy and vital one day and the next cancer-ridden. Even the most misinformed or obtuse smoker must know that their habit may lead to a horrific outcome. I'll leave it at that since I've also had many alcoholics in my family (I firmly believe addiction is a disease) and there's no doubt in my mind that cigarettes are more addictive.

kimpw
03-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Not into house industries stuff but this is pretty funny