PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Magnetless sensors

foo_fighter
03-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Anyone switch from GSC-10? I'm thinking of getting a set with my REI coupon/dividend to replace 5 gsc-10s on various bikes. Is it easy enough to switch between bikes before every ride or a pain?

buckfifty
03-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I like the wireless sensors. Sometimes they don't sync with the garmin unless you start rolling. The speed sensor is easy to put on and off. The cadence sensor can be a bit difficult since it uses tighter bands (same ones for the mount it seems)

josephr
03-27-2015, 05:14 PM
I've not used the cadence sensor, but last summer I bought the speed sensor to try it out and it works just like its supposed to --- no more worries about the sensor arm/magnet alignment or a loose magnet sliding on the spoke. Aesthetically cleaner look to the chainstay and easy to remove/replace to wash the hub. GSC-10 sensors sell pretty quick too if you make the change.

Note -- I found it a distraction to have on the front hub -- found myself watching it flip over and over and wondering why it wasn't flipping as fast as I thought it should be. I considered becoming faster rider, but decided to move it to the rear hub instead --- out-of-sight, out of mind, right?

buckfifty
03-27-2015, 05:19 PM
I was getting weird spikes in speed readings when I had the sensor on the the rear (higher than normal). Once I moved it to the front, it went away. I do agree, it's set it and forget it with the wireless sensors

bcgav
03-27-2015, 07:01 PM
I have one on my new bike that has a Stages PM that does cadence. I like the new magnet-less sensor. Have heard of interference issues using it on a PowerTap hub which is easily resolved moving it to the front wheel. As mentioned, just spin your wheel to wake it up.

Removing to switch between bikes might be a pita unless you have long skinny fingers, and ease would also depend your wheel's spoke lacing pattern.

ceolwulf
03-27-2015, 07:24 PM
They work fine once they connect which can be a bit of a frustrating time sometimes but usually connect in fairly short order. Moving them between bikes I guess could be done in a couple minutes but that's more trouble than I can usually be bothered to go to. As mentioned if you have 36 spoke wheels or some such it'd be more of a pain. On the road I can't tell that the speed sensing works any different than just the GPS. On the trainer there are occasional spikes/gaps but not enough to worry about.

MikeD
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Big, bulky, and expensive. Two sensors instead of one. Good if you can't mount the GSC-10 on your chainstay, like on my FS mountain bike.

kramnnim
03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Both of my magnetless speed sensors make the Garmin pause/unpause when going over some bridges. Not sure why...but it happens almost every ride. Doesn't seem to be bump related.

thirdgenbird
03-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Both of my magnetless speed sensors make the Garmin pause/unpause when going over some bridges. Not sure why...but it happens almost every ride. Doesn't seem to be bump related.

Odd. I stick with the old chainstay sensor. I like swapping between 3 wheelsets and it is cheaper/faster to leave spoke magnets on each wheel.

SoCalSteve
03-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Have 3 sets on 3 bikes, all work flawlessly!

Also have the D-Fly on one bike...works great too. Garmin stuff rocks...:)

ceolwulf
03-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Come to think of it I've had some odd pauses as well.

kramnnim
03-28-2015, 06:51 AM
I hate the GSC10, don't miss it at all.

shovelhd
03-28-2015, 10:09 AM
All of my GSC-10's have died at some point. I switched over to Bontrager and never looked back. I glue a rare earth magnet to the rim or spokes. These new sensors look very interesting, though. I hope they hold up better than my GSC-10's did.

kramnnim
03-28-2015, 05:51 PM
They don't have the reed switches, so they ought to be more durable...

Gummee
03-29-2015, 08:10 AM
I hate the GSC10, don't miss it at all.
I never had one, but inherited a set of the new sensors.

Those I do like.

M

stephenmarklay
03-29-2015, 09:40 AM
All of my GSC-10's have died at some point. I switched over to Bontrager and never looked back. I glue a rare earth magnet to the rim or spokes. These new sensors look very interesting, though. I hope they hold up better than my GSC-10's did.

My GSC-10 does not seem to work for speed but cadence still still does. I can seem to get the magnet to work no matter the position. I am calling it dead.

kramnnim
03-29-2015, 06:42 PM
I think the reed switch in the little arm is more fragile...which is why it is the first to die.