PDA

View Full Version : re-entry rider

Ken Robb
03-27-2015, 04:02 PM
That might be me. After my nasty wreck in July and all that pain I'm still very leery of riding in automobile traffic but yesterday I pumped up the tires on 4 bikes and pedaled around our neighborhood. I just got back from a short trip to the market on bikefriday to buy food for dinner. It was fun, traffic was very light, and medium-to-really large saddlebags are good things to make a bike a real alternative to a car.
I'm trying to decide which bike(s) to keep and which ones to sell, not to mention a BUNCH of components and wheels I collected for custom builds that never happened. I guess it will depend on my motivation and ability to ride as I continue to recover. 83F at the beach today.:)

sandyrs
03-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Sell me your shimano 11 speed wheels with wide aluminum rims and medium-to-high spoke counts, and keep everything else :)

Joking aside, it's always good to hear someone is getting going again after a serious crash, and whatever bike(s) you decide to keep will assuredly be better than the alternative of stopping riding altogether.

jmeloy
03-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Ken, really happy you got back in the saddle. I get more leery as I get older, but I still love it. Start slow, add a bunch of good lights and ease back into it.

eddief
03-27-2015, 04:43 PM
he too is in recovery...and not from too much tequila...this time. So that leaves just me :).

All seriousness aside, it is great you even got out there to do all that inflating. And then following up with a ride is a real good sign. I hope condition and fear stay out of your way so you can enjoy the bikes again.

Let me see, I know you have a Rambouillet and a Waterford. What else?

tiretrax
03-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear you are back on the bike. I've been bike commuting for a month, and I love it. The wife, not so much since she's got both a.m. and p.m. carpools for our children. Back to rush hour soon.

Ken Robb
03-27-2015, 05:14 PM
he too is in recovery...and not from too much tequila...this time. So that leaves just me :).

The Ram, a Rivendell Allrounder, Hampsten Strada Bianca in ti by Moots with YBB rear end, FS Marin mtn. bike, 1983 B'Stone MB-3, and bikefriday. I loaned the Waterford to a pal whose Dean ti was stolen. He got a new Merlin but insisted that I sell him the Waterford too because he loved the way it rode. :banana:

93legendti
03-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Great to hear you are back in the bike. The first ride is the hardest...

parris
03-27-2015, 06:57 PM
it's great that you've gotten back on the horse. I don't know how set you are on keeping or getting rid of things but if it's not hurting anything hold onto your gear for a bit until you're sure which direction you want to take things.

You may feel exactly the same way that you feel today in a few months but if not you've already got gear in place. Just a thought from someone who's gotten rid of stuff a bit soon.

Tim Porter
03-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Ken, best of luck in tiptoeing back to the bike. I'm kind of in the same boat due to a minor knee problem that's now been fixed that kept me off the bike all winter (from about last August on). Back on the road next week for the first time in 5 months--a little nervous. Go for it! Tim

dave thompson
03-27-2015, 10:46 PM

All seriousness aside, it is great you even got out there to do all that inflating. And then following up with a ride is a real good sign. I hope condition and fear stay out of your way so you can enjoy the bikes again.

I wish the recovery was from too much Tequila, it would be much simpler! I finally made it home, through striking braceros in San Quintin, huge potholes on the Transpeninsular and broken front axles on the Volvo I bought in Cabo because my van got killed.

weisan
03-28-2015, 04:28 AM
I wish the recovery was from too much Tequila, it would be much simpler! I finally made it home, through striking braceros in San Quintin, huge potholes on the Transpeninsular and broken front axles on the Volvo I bought in Cabo because my van got killed.

non-stop action.
dave pal=modern-day indiana jones.

soulspinner
03-28-2015, 05:38 AM
Glad you are back on the bike. Ride defensively , keep the rubber down.

gemship
03-28-2015, 07:23 AM
That might be me. After my nasty wreck in July and all that pain I'm still very leery of riding in automobile traffic but yesterday I pumped up the tires on 4 bikes and pedaled around our neighborhood. I just got back from a short trip to the market on bikefriday to buy food for dinner. It was fun, traffic was very light, and medium-to-really large saddlebags are good things to make a bike a real alternative to a car.
I'm trying to decide which bike(s) to keep and which ones to sell, not to mention a BUNCH of components and wheels I collected for custom builds that never happened. I guess it will depend on my motivation and ability to ride as I continue to recover. 83F at the beach today.:)

Good for you to take a ride and why not as it sounds like one of the few if not many attributes of living in Ca. this time of year. I live in Ma. and I have to say the roads here suck, the weather sucks. I do like my job, I work outdoors on a beach year round weather permitting, self employed and it's back breaking. I dig clams commercially and I can make great money at it as long as I put my back into it and the clams are there. However ever since I started doing this my cycling has suffered greatly because its just a very physical job. I would go for rides if I had the weather you have alas I do not. Honestly I don't know how people in my state can really stand living here if they are cyclist. I will say that sharing the roads out in the country around here with cars is not quite as challenging. Meaning car drivers are just a little more decent but not much.

shovelhd
03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
I live out in Western MA, and it's not a bad place to ride. No clams, though. Love clams, especially littlenecks and cherrystones on the half shell. A dallop of horseradish and a few shakes of Tabasco. Down the hatch.

Take a day off, come out here with your bike. We'll go on a nice long ride. Bring the clams.

LJohnny
03-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Wosta? ;) I went to school there and used to do a loop up to Holden, it's been years, but I remember a reservoir...and some rolling hills.

Sent from my brain

shovelhd
03-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Worcester is Central MA. Farther west.

Peter B
03-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Welcome Back Ken! Glad to hear you're recovering and venturing to ride again. Don't do anything hasty with those bikes just yet.

Ease back in, be careful and have fun!

Ken Robb
03-28-2015, 02:30 PM
As long-time forumites may remember I have had a bunch of cool bikes. The ones I have left are the ones I liked the best so the advice to wait before selling any of them is wise. :banana:

JAllen
03-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Ken, that's wonderful that you got out there for a bit. It shouldn't be too long before you're back on track. And as it's been suggested, hold off a bit before you offload things. May each day be better than the last! :)

gemship
03-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I live out in Western MA, and it's not a bad place to ride. No clams, though. Love clams, especially littlenecks and cherrystones on the half shell. A dallop of horseradish and a few shakes of Tabasco. Down the hatch.

Take a day off, come out here with your bike. We'll go on a nice long ride. Bring the clams.

Hey there shoveled, thank you for the invite! I'll definitely have to keep it in mind. Years ago I dated a woman who owned a house in Pittsfield and I do remember the rolling hills. Lots of good riding out there but no clamming or ocean, lol. It's funny until I started clamming I always wanted to move out there and tried to think of ways I could support myself, real estate is so much more cheaper that way. Well now that I'm clamming I really do try to do the best I can and catch every tide. It's addicting. Cape Ann has the best steamers!

gemship
03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
As long-time forumites may remember I have had a bunch of cool bikes. The ones I have left are the ones I liked the best so the advice to wait before selling any of them is wise. :banana:

One more vote to save and treasure your trusty steeds;)

eddief
03-28-2015, 05:25 PM
save our man!