PDA

View Full Version : The modern San Franciscan

Bertleman
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
So true!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbdkhwt5yW1qz9v0to1_500.jpg

enr1co
03-27-2015, 03:36 PM
I work in the City bordering SOMA but dont see too many women or riders to this description.

pinoymamba
03-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Maybe 2009ish...

Most of the fixed gear riders I know from that area have transitioned to spandex and road bikes!

eBAUMANN
03-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Maybe 2009ish...

Most of the fixed gear riders I know from that area have transitioned to spandex and road bikes!

yea...that illustration is about 6 years old, so its period correct ;)

josephr
03-27-2015, 03:50 PM

quill stem tells it all...:banana:

sandyrs
03-27-2015, 04:16 PM
The modern San Franciscan is a 27-year-old software developer who wears sneakers with jeans and tech company tshirts. He goes to Diplo shows paid for by his employer, a large software company with offices in a soulless suburb.

At least, this is the impression my friends who live there give me.

raygunner
03-27-2015, 04:25 PM
"Doesn't Have Health Insurance"

Totally period correct!

I miss the mid-aughts when the fixie fever was in full bloom and we didn't have to worry our pretty little minds about the health care debate.

likebikes
03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
what's up with the gummi bears thing?

JimmyTango
03-27-2015, 04:48 PM
This was spot on in 2008. These girls all left and have been replaced by 26 year old rich dudes who have nothing even vaguely in common with anything in this illustration who:

Work on the peninsula, spent $800 on their lumberjack boots and business casual duds, only go outside when they are compelled to leave the computer or cafe for moment to grab a soft drink and catch an Uber ride to the park (most likely to meet a girl they met on tinder), wouldn't be caught dead drinking a beer that didn't score 90+ on BA, and always do their homework before the next development team meeting at the office....

Nerds man, nerds.

JAllen
03-27-2015, 04:51 PM
My boobs are real... does that count for anything?

Dead Man
03-27-2015, 05:03 PM
She's been in Portland for quite some time, boys. But despite her illustrated depiction here, she's actually hideous and is only occasionally interested in men anyway.

No helmet, though.

Scooper
03-27-2015, 09:09 PM
This was spot on in 2008. These girls all left and have been replaced by 26 year old rich dudes who have nothing even vaguely in common with anything in this illustration who:

Work on the peninsula, spent $800 on their lumberjack boots and business casual duds, only go outside when they are compelled to leave the computer or cafe for moment to grab a soft drink and catch an Uber ride to the park (most likely to meet a girl they met on tinder), wouldn't be caught dead drinking a beer that didn't score 90+ on BA, and always do their homework before the next development team meeting at the office....

Nerds man, nerds.

You nailed it.

jtakeda
03-27-2015, 09:20 PM
You nailed it.
+1.

The illustration is 2010 Oakland.

bcgav
03-27-2015, 09:29 PM

You can tell it's old. The word bespoke (http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bespoke&geo=US&cmpt=q&tz=) isn't used once.

Kentf14
03-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Jimmy Tango nailed it. These women are a lost species in the city full of tech douches.
IMO as a guy on a custom Ti bike in the Rapha kit ;)

azrider
03-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Real boobs?

pass......

blessthismess
03-27-2015, 09:43 PM

Nerds man, nerds.

Sad, but true.

Painfully true

brando
03-28-2015, 12:59 AM

Nerds man, nerds.

+1 and also they're more into electric assist skateboards, e-bikes and e-razor scooters. Oh, and those unicycle/segway abominations. shake my head :banana:

dolface
03-28-2015, 02:44 PM
"Doesn't Have Health Insurance"

Totally period correct!

I miss the mid-aughts when the fixie fever was in full bloom and we didn't have to worry our pretty little minds about the health care debate.

We used to ride track bikes and now we ride rack-bikes :)

beeatnik
03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/great-reads/la-me-c1-sf-mayor-ed-lee-20150326-story.html#page=1

The 656-condo Lumina complex promises a "transcendent living experience," with a club lounge, climbing wall and pet grooming station. The smallest units start at about $1 million. The penthouse is priced at $49 million, a city record.

But on this day, San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee had donned a hard hat and orange vest to tour a development farther away from the bay that satisfies the affordable-housing obligation for Lumina's developer, Tishman Speyer: a complex that will sell 190 condos at below-market prices.

As the elevator doors clanged shut, Carl D. Shannon, Tishman's senior managing director, told him: "Not everyone in City Hall agrees with me, but I think that building housing solves the housing crisis."

Two other housing developments could be seen rising to the east and north. Just to the south, on a stretch of Market Street blighted for half a century, sat the headquarters of Twitter, Uber and Square.

CheshireCat
03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
everyone knows girls don't actually live in San Francisco anymore (except for the Marina, where everyone you hated in high school currently lives.)

Peter B
03-28-2015, 09:26 PM
"Lives in the Mission"
"Works retail on upper Haight"

Not in this decade...

Drmojo
03-29-2015, 04:17 AM
How do I copy the drawing of cycle chick and send to my
wife?

Peter B
03-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Done Mo.

tedbarbeau
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Love the Vittoria Randonneur bit. So spot on.

plattyjo
03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
We used to ride track bikes and now we ride rack-bikes :)

Truth! (Although I still have a fixed gear, although I have decamped to Oakland...)