PDA

View Full Version : CNET› Tech Culture > Cyclist's helmet-cam video of argument with driver shows glory

yngpunk
03-27-2015, 01:07 PM
http://www.cnet.com/news/cyclists-helmetcam-video-of-argument-with-driver-shows-glory-of-humanity/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

Enjoy.

fuzzalow
03-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Schmuck. Him, not her.

Create a sanctimonious pissing match over little stuff at the expense of the big picture. Two new enemies to bicycling created that day. Good job moron.

donevwil
03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Schmuck. Him, not her.

Create a sanctimonious pissing match over little stuff at the expense of the big picture. Two new enemies to bicycling created that day. Good job moron.

Exactly ! The self-righteous idiot just started a cascade that will ruin some other cyclist's day.

MattTuck
03-27-2015, 01:41 PM
There are no winners in that video. But then again, there rarely is a winner when you have one sanctimonious individual and one belligerent individual.

What happened to "Sorry, I didn't realize", "oh, no problem. now you know."?

One or both of those people may be narcissists.

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Oh, hey, look another car bikes video. I'm sure this one is gonna be called fairly.

So, wait, someone please explain to me, in detail, how this woman wasn't completely in the wrong from FRAME 1. Also, the 2nd thing out of her mouth was "I literally don't give a F$UCK what you say"

That woman you can tell is nightmare to be around in any situation anywhere.

Also, to be fair - to literally give a ···· would have been much more rude.

Tony T
03-27-2015, 02:23 PM
What's wrong is his posting the video to his youtube account.

redir
03-27-2015, 02:26 PM
What a jerk. Meanwhile like ten cyclist pass by in the video no problem. This guys got mental problems for sure.

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 02:33 PM
What a jerk. Meanwhile like ten cyclist pass by in the video no problem. This guys got mental problems for sure.

That's what you took away from the video - I mean, sure he was a but smug. She on the other hand completely blocked the traffic lane - then told him off, but, yea, you're right - he was totally in the wrong.

MattTuck
03-27-2015, 02:47 PM
That's what you took away from the video - I mean, sure he was a but smug. She on the other hand completely blocked the traffic lane - then told him off, but, yea, you're right - he was totally in the wrong.

I think the issue is that, whether the driver was wrong or not, going around being confrontational so you can 'make an example' out of someone, is really not that productive. It creates more animosity between drivers and cyclists, not less.

This guy should spend equal time and self-righteousness energy confronting other cyclists when he observes them violating the rules of the road. I'm fairly certain that the reactions he'd get would be equal to or worse than the woman in the video.

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 02:55 PM
I think the issue is that, whether the driver was wrong or not, going around being confrontational so you can 'make an example' out of someone, is really not that productive. It creates more animosity between drivers and cyclists, not less.

Again, I must have missed something. The comments that the BIKER is the asshole in this situation amazes me. He was simply (and politely with a bit of smug) letting her know that she parked illegally in a bicycle lane, and she blows up on him, starts swearing, etc. She could've easily responded, "Sorry, I didn't know. Won't happen again" - nothing confrontational about telling someone they are, in fact, breaking the law.

I swear, I just don't get the hall monitor mentality.

MattTuck
03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
I do see your point there. I watched it again and she was pretty rude and dismissive when confronted with the facts. I'm not defending her actions, at all.

What I dislike about this type of thing is the idea that we're going to be good advocates for cycling by publicly shaming a minor infraction like this. It may feel good to 'get even' with this woman, but it just further reinforces an us vs. them framing of the issue. What purpose does this video serve? To show that people park in bike lanes? This is not news.

Do we really want to adjudicate the car vs. bike relationship via online video of confrontations? Does anyone think that is an effective PR strategy for sharing the roads?

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 03:16 PM
I do see your point there. I watched it again and she was pretty rude and dismissive when confronted with the facts. I'm not defending her actions, at all.

Do we really want to adjudicate the car vs. bike relationship via online video of confrontations? Does anyone think that is an effective PR strategy for sharing the roads?

Look, that is the world we live in now - do I think it's ideal, no, but people post a lot of dumb crap.

My bet that women is a nightmare, in every facet of her life. She was a jerk from word one. However, I am not gonna lay blame on the cyclist - next time you do something wrong and you know, as a fact that it's wrong, try saying "I literally don't give a ···· what you say."

F her. Seriously, I would have given a lot of thought to parking my bike in front of her car, then calling the cops - who wouldn't have done crap, but at least she would have been held up another 30 minutes.

Rusty Luggs
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
I would call it “video vigilantism”. Neither a productive nor effective approach IMO.

I do wonder, though, if there would have been a similar confrontation if it had been a 6-4 280 dude stepping out of that car.

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 03:20 PM
At least she admitted she made a mistake, the guy should have just carried on with his day instead of being a dick.

We are not going to win people over by treating people like this.

I am a driver as well, when I used to live in Seattle I was going to make a right and some guy was coming towards me on the other lane, I saw him and stopped (I was at least a car length from him). He hit his brakes and flipped over the handlebars. I got out of my car to see if he was ok, he was but he was pissed off as if I did something wrong, wanted me to buy him a new jacket. I was like its all good man, we can figure it out. Gave him my number. I think he realized he was in the wrong and never called me.

What that lady did was wrong but that dudes attitude of entitlement is ridiculous. If it was in NYC and he did that to the wrong person the outcome would have been very different.

oh well life goes on

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
I would call it “video vigilantism”. Neither a productive nor effective approach IMO.

I do wonder, though, if there would have been a similar confrontation if it had been a 6-4 280 dude stepping out of that car.

Or if the cyclist was 6'3" and the driver was a "him" at 5'10."

I will say this, dude rolled up without hesitation and confronted her breaking the law, for sure didn't have time to check to see if she had a passenger. So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

velomonkey
03-27-2015, 03:26 PM
At least she admitted she made a mistake, the guy should have just carried on with his day instead of being a dick.

We are not going to win people over by treating people like this.

What!?!?! Do you people not see what I see

Biker: Is this your car? Ma'am is this your car.

Her: What. Why?

Biker: You know this is the parking lane, right?

Her: I literally just ran inside. You can keep going.

Biker: You do know . . .

Her: (interrupting and walking away) I literally don't give a . . .

For real, people, it's VIDEO. It's all there. Please stop with the hall monitor stuff and making stuff up.

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 03:30 PM
She later says I didn't do it on purpose after he pointed out that she was in the bike lane. It seems she didn't even know she was in the bike lane.

Regardless she was wrong and she was giving him attitude, he started with the attitude though and sounded like an ass from the get go. So did she though.

They are both in the wrong and I will leave it at that.

Dead Man
03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
That one is a cyclist and one is a motorist is irrelevant. This is just plain asshole meets asshole. Happens all day every day, in the office, on the road, in the sandwich shop, etc. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yea, sucks that it's posted on the webz as some kind of representative example.. but it's not.

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
This is just plain asshole meets asshole.

and this is exactly what it is, nothing else matters.

Shortsocks
03-27-2015, 03:36 PM
and this is exactly what it is, nothing else matters.

Yeap, both assholes. Self indulging pricks.
But she did park in a bike lane, and there were, as it looks, tons of spots available. If she did park where she wasn't supposed to park, this entire incident wouldn't have happened though.

yngpunk
03-27-2015, 05:14 PM
I would call it “video vigilantism”.

This is what I think the CNET author's point was, since the tag line is "Technically Incorrect offers a slightly twisted take on the tech that's taken over our lives."

professerr
03-27-2015, 05:18 PM

For real, people, it's VIDEO. It's all there. Please stop with the hall monitor stuff and making stuff up.

Did people miss her opening shot, which you truncated above:

"I literally dont give a f..k about anything you say to me"

I thought he remained pretty calm in response to her clear escalation.

I was driving through Berkeley the other day, and people there take seriously the California law that cars must yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk at all times. I got called out much like this lady by someone at least as self righteous as the cyclist here. The pedestrian was not at risk at all, but I apologized because I was wrong.

Speaking of self righteousness, my head spins at the self-righteous condemnations of this guy's self-righteousness. I feel dizzy just saying that, self-righteously.

tumbler
03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustyrider
03-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Am I the only one that wants the nyc guy, Casey Neistat, (funny film about riding in the bike lane)to come in out of frame and just plow into the back end of her car, splaying himself on the roof and possibly breaking a tail light...?

fogrider
03-27-2015, 09:51 PM

I'm good with him sticking it to her, sure he could have gone around, but where does it stop...when people don't get called out, they will do again and again. then others will do it because they see people treating it like a just run in parking spot...I mean I don't think I would have stared her down, but I'm good with someone doing it.

a few years ago, a dude just stops to run in "for just a minute", there was a cop behind him that hit the horn as the dude stepped out, he flew the bird without looking up and did not notice it was a cop...the dude goes into a shop and the cop steps out and gives me a big grin...

sure the guy didn't have to put it on youtube, but this is the age of video in public places! be on your best behavior everyone!

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 06:35 AM

Big picture was what the other lady mentioned..'this is why people in cars hate people on bikes'. YES, the lady was wrong to park there. Yes, she already dislikes cyclists, as much as the guy on the bike dislikes people parking in the bike lane...so how is this 'better'? I guess she won't park in the bike lane again....but I'll bet she does just cuz...

I am pretty militant when on the bike. I would have said something also, but in passing, I would have yelled, 'no parking in bike lane'..and pressed on. No need to stay, IMHO. BUT he knew he was recording it.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 07:57 AM
…in passing, I would have yelled, 'no parking in bike lane'..and pressed on.

That is the correct response to that situation.

zap
03-28-2015, 07:58 AM
If I was riding in that bicycle lane, I would have said something and left it at that. There is no point in getting into a pissing contest and certainly not cool descending into the cellar of swears.

Another matter. A person who would post a video with that sort of exchange…..well, lets just say that's special.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Big picture was what the other lady mentioned..'this is why people in cars hate people on bikes'. YES, the lady was wrong to park there. Yes, she already dislikes cyclists, as much as the guy on the bike dislikes people parking in the bike lane...so how is this 'better'? I guess she won't park in the bike lane again....but I'll bet she does just cuz...

That's the little picture - and the picture you are choosing to see - that whole thing happened only bacause the lady stopped playing the whole "I literally don't give a ···· what you say" - and she admitted she knew it was wrong to park there, but, you know, she was just in and out - and once she saw someone else coming along she played the whole "I didn't know" card and played up being a victim.

So, sorry, I aint gonna pile this guy on being part of the problem.

I swear people, it's like you can't even call it straight when someone does something illegal, then tells you to F off and yet somehow - the biker is the problem. That logic just doesn't fly with me. If someone does something illegal, tells me to F off - and then me telling them to F off is wrong - then I don't want to be right.

I am so sure you yelling "no parking in the bike lane" while peddling off will somehow change her crappy attitude and she would have grabbed her coffee and thought "self, it's a great nice sunny day in Seattle - people ride their bikes and this is their lane and it's wrong to break the law and park in their lane. Self, let's make sure we don't do that again." I am sure that would have crossed her mind and then she would have yelled "so sorry, have a nice day, won't happen again."

Here is what would have happened - "Yea, Go piss up a tree" - and she would have opened her door with ZERO thought into any riding their bike and putting themselves into traffic.

I'm not saying this dude is perfect, but let's not act like you got the cure all for dicks.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 08:17 AM
I swear people, it's like you can't even call it straight when someone does something illegal, then tells you to F off and yet somehow - the biker is the problem.

If a driver did that to me every time I rolled through a Stop Sign or a Red Light….

I wouldn't mind if a driver yelled to me "Red Light!", but if he pulled next to me and started to "educate" me that rolling though a Stop Sign is illegal, well who would be wrong in that case?

I learned a very long time ago that most folks are selfish and nothing said to them will change anything. (Would that lady stop parking in a bike lane because someone told her to?)

Posting the exchange on Youtube was wrong.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 08:26 AM
If a driver did that to me every time I rolled through a Stop Sign or a Red Light….

I wouldn't mind if a driver yelled to me "Red Light!", but if he pulled next to me and started to "educate" me that rolling though a Stop Sign is illegal, well who would be wrong in that case?

Um . . . . You would be wrong. You would still be just as wrong as when the person yelled at you and drove off.

Please, what phylisophocal mental judo are you doing to suddenly make this change. When a person does something illegal - someone else can only say something in passing. Is that the world we live in? Is there a line where you can say something? If someone is beating the crap out of their dog, is it OK for me to intervene - or can I only shout something in passing?

Also, you do know driver's education on bike lanes is practically non-esistent. And you do know some drivers are jerks, much like that lady (as are some bikers).

Also, the world we live in, stuff gets recorded. Deal with it.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Um . . . . you would be wrong. you would still be just as wrong as when the person yelled at you and drove off.

Please, what phylisophocal mental judo are you doing to suddenly make this when a person does something illegal - someone else can only say something in passing.

Also, you do know driver's education on bike lanes is practically non-esistent. And you do know some drivers are jerks, much like that lady (as are some bikers).

Also, the world we live in, stuff gets recorded. Deal with it.

Yes, I know I'm wrong, that's my point. I'm still not going to sit at a Red Light on my bike, I will continue to stop, look and ride even if a driver decides to "educate me". And if that driver pulls out his iPhone and starts to record his "lesson", well, I'll tell him that I don't give a @&*! what he thinks and I'll tell him to "^&@( off"

I guess you would react differently in that situation, but I know most cyclists wouldn't.

Drivers park in bike lanes — "Deal with it" :) (…or ride around them)

fuzzalow
03-28-2015, 08:42 AM
So, sorry, I aint gonna pile this guy on being part of the problem.

I swear people, it's like you can't even call it straight when someone does something illegal, then tells you to F off and yet somehow - the biker is the problem. That logic just doesn't fly with me. If someone does something illegal, tells me to F off - and then me telling them to F off is wrong - then I don't want to be right.

I don't agree but thankfully, there is not a cohesive leadership on how to advance the cause of bicycling in the general public so we can take whatever approach we want on this. You be as militant as you like - count up all the personal confrontation battles you have won during the course of losing the war.

You think that someone should respond where they willingly acquiesce their OWN self interest in how they behave for YOUR self interest in how you want them to behave. All initiated by way of a street confrontation in pointing out the error of their ways where in that flash moment, they have somehow seen the light.

If this is what you think will happen then you are dreaming. Using your term of erudition, perhaps the better approach does not include telling someone to "F off" as a way to convince them towards pluralism.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Yes, I know I'm wrong, that's my point. I'm still not going to sit at a Red Light on my bike, I will continue to stop, look and ride even if a driver decides to "educate me". And if that driver pulls out his iPhone and starts to record his "lesson", well, I'll tell him that I don't give a @&*! what he thinks and I'll tell him to "^&@( off"

I guess you would react differently in that situation, but I know most cyclists wouldn't.

Drivers park in bike lanes — "Deal with it" :) (…or ride around them)

And, you, my friend, will look like world class jerk and that would be an example of a biker NOT helping other bikers. Also, here is where your analogy falls way short. Everyone knows stop signs mean stop - drivers and bikers - conversly bike lanes are new - and it's very clear, many drivers are not educated as to bike lanes. So this fails.

Also, yes, I know, drivers do park in bikes lanes, and I do deal with it - here is what I don't do, I don't judge the people who speak out against it, I deal with the people who broke the law and caused it.

velomateo
03-28-2015, 08:48 AM
My biggest problem with this, and what I have encountered recently, are people pointing out a wrong and then thinking they have the authority to enforce it. Like, "I'm not leaving until you get in compliance". Really, you point something out, if that makes you feel better, then move on. If you're not a cop - you're work is done.

Once the lady in the video began swearing at the rider, all convincing her to change was over. He could have done a lot more by not being a dick. But when you push people they will push back.

professerr
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
That's the little picture - and the picture you are choosing to see - that whole thing happened only bacause the lady stopped playing the whole "I literally don't give a ···· what you say" - and she admitted she knew it was wrong to park there, but, you know, she was just in and out - and once she saw someone else coming along she played the whole "I didn't know" card and played up being a victim.

Yeah, that little bit of spontaneous social manipulation was really quite fascinating -- I actually watched the video twice because I was confused the first time as to why she flipped into playing the victim - I though maybe he'd threatened her somehow or done something similarly bad. On second viewing I saw the new woman pop out of her car, and it all made sense.

This person completed deserved to be called out. Zero chance her behavior would have changed had he not. Good chance her behavior will change now.

That said, I'm not sure she deserved eternal internet infamy just for being a douche at that moment.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 08:53 AM
I don't agree but thankfully, there is not a cohesive leadership on how to advance the cause of bicycling in the general public so we can take whatever approach we want on this. You be as militant as you like - count up all the personal confrontation battles you have won during the course of losing the war.

I never said it was effective. I never claimed this woman would change her behavior. She is a sour puss and a bully.

What I am saying . . . and for the record . . . I have ZERO issue with people talking back to people who break the law.

She. Broke. The. Law. Then when it was pointed out to her, she swore up and down at the guy. F. Her. But, yea, let's all strap on our hall monitor badges and pick apart the guy on the bike.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 08:57 AM
And, you, my friend, will look like world class jerk and that would be an example of a biker NOT helping other bikers.

If a driver stops his car and approaches me with his iPhone recording his lecture to me on running a red light (to post on youtube) I really don't care if you think I'm a jerk when when I tell that a-hole to "&^*^-off" (I would not react that way if he were to yell "red light" when passing me)

Every driver knows that it's illegal to park in a bike lane.
You must be in the 1% of cyclists that never roll through a red light.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 09:07 AM
If a driver stops his car and approaches me with his iPhone recording his lecture to me on running a red light (to post on youtube) I really don't care if you think I'm a jerk when when I tell that a-hole to "&^*^-off" (I would not react that way if he were to yell "red light" when passing me)

Every driver knows that it's illegal to park in a bike lane.
You must be in the 1% of cyclists that never roll through a red light.

"Every" driver knows . . . first, what lala world do you live in. Are you kidding me. As for bike lanes, some drivers seriously just don't know - you do know bike lanes are new right, and some people got their driver education decades prior. Second, some drivers are just jerks. All drivers who park in the bike lane are breaking the law and deserved to be called out.

And please, stop trying to speak for me, this is the second time you've done it and aside from me not appreciating it, you are just wrong. I do roll signs, but I also know I take full responsibility and the times I am an the wrong I make eye contact and apologize. I have been "educated" by drivers, but mostly for my lycra. I have never, ever, ever immediately said "I literally don't give a ···· what you say" - in any situation in anything in my life ever when I was in the wrong, especially if I was breaking the law. EVER.

A go pro changes nothing, to you it seems it does, but not to me. So, when it comes to TonyT - leave the go pro home. Got it.

fuzzalow
03-28-2015, 09:10 AM
I never said it was effective. I never claimed this woman would change her behavior. She is a sour puss and a bully.

What I am saying . . . and for the record . . . I have ZERO issue with people talking back to people who break the law.

She. Broke. The. Law. Then when it was pointed out to her, she swore up and down at the guy. F. Her. But, yea, let's all strap on our hall monitor badges and pick apart the guy on the bike.

My response to what you have posted here is simply: If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

The street is not a classroom. Lofty ideals do not rule on the street but primitive instinct like "fight or flight" do. I can appreciate your passion on this topic - IMO find a way to harness it with direction and purpose.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 09:17 AM
My response to what you have posted here is simply: If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

The street is not a classroom. Lofty ideals do not rule on the street but primitive instinct like "fight or flight" do. I can appreciate your passion on this topic - IMO find a way to harness it with direction and purpose.

Here is what I know as a fact - you are not judge of what, how this all gets done. Same for me, here is the difference you want to pass judgement on the person who was effected by the asshole law breaker, fine.

And, bro, it's the streets of Seattle with a woman driving a volvo - "fight or flight" are not factors. This isn't riding your bike in Baltimore and coming accross Omar from the wire. This is rude, entitled privilege. I got no issue calling that ···· out and people need to be called out for their to be a solution - so what you said it's too simple, does not apply and it's black and white BS. Stop trying to divide - the issue here is people parking their cars in the bike lane and breaking the law - if you don't see that you ARE the problem. I don't care if you ride or not.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 09:24 AM
"Every" driver knows . . . first, what lala world do you live in. Are you kidding me.

It's clear that parking is not allowed in a bike lane.

Also, saying "sorry!" when caught breaking the law does not make it right unless it was truly a mistake — If that lady had apologized, would the video had made it to that cyclists youtube channel? :)

shovelhd
03-28-2015, 09:30 AM
IBTL.

I've got nothing to say to guys like Tony T. You are part of the problem. You are escalating the war.

As for Video Star, he actually creates a more dangerous situation by holding the white car up with his jawing. Meanwhile, the brown car stops properly, and now there's only a sliver of space between the cars or the travel lane for other bikes.I'm not a big fan of vigilantes.

"Please don't stop in the bike lane. It's dangerous for both of us". Pedal on. If the offender has any kind of conscience then they may change their behavior in the future. If they don't, the situation is hopeless.

Tony
03-28-2015, 09:30 AM
... here is the difference you want to pass judgement on the person who was effected by the asshole law breaker, fine.

And, bro, it's the streets of Seattle with a woman driving a volvo - "fight or flight" are not factors. This isn't riding your bike in Baltimore and coming accross Omar from the wire. This is rude, entitled privilege. I got no issue calling that ···· out and people need to be called out for their to be a solution - so what you said it's too simple, does not apply and it's black and white BS. Stop trying to divide - the issue here is people parking their cars in the bike lane and breaking the law - if you don't see that you ARE the problem. I don't care if you ride or not.

I agree.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 09:35 AM
The "GhostOfStarmanSuper" is a dick, and he is not helping cyclists.

Take a look at his youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HL3gJ0DifbloeFXoUaSrw)

Look at his video posted right before the infamous c|net one.
The Fed-ex driver is 6 inches over the line, and he chose to start a confrontation (and report him to his supervisor)

This does not help educate anyone:

gdw
03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
"The "GhostOfStarmanSuper" is a dick, and he is not helping cyclists.

Take a look at his youtube channel"

+1 He's a self-righteous ass.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
The "GhostOfStarmanSuper" is a dick, and he is not helping cyclists.

I agree that he was looking for it there and it was overblown.

As for assholes, a bully, someone who knows they are wrong and still acts like a world class prick - well, there is only way to deal with them

https://youtu.be/jXvnzLKb_Y0

Again, how you all just bypass the idiot parking their car - had she not done that, this doesn't happen - and jump straight to judging the biker - be my guest.

By the way, good double leg takedown by that kid.

gdw
03-28-2015, 09:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtuhwbgwV9M
He's an ass.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Again, how you all just bypass the idiot parking their car - had she not done that, this doesn't happen - and jump straight to judging the biker - be my guest.

I don't think anyone here is bypassing the lady driver.
We're judging both of them :)

I just hate that there are now drivers who judge cyclists based on their encounter with him.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't think anyone here is bypassing the lady driver.
We're judging both of them :)

I just hate that there are now drivers who judge cyclists based on their encounter with him.

I gotta question. It makes more sense 'to me' to have the parking space next to the curb and the bike lane next to that...like every bike lane around here. I get the lady knew the difference....or did she? She could have parked to the left, yes? But they both went 'high order' really fast.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I gotta question. It makes more sense 'to me' to have the parking space next to the curb and the bike lane next to that...like every bike lane around here. I get the lady knew the difference....or did she? She could have parked to the left, yes? But they both went 'high order' really fast.

She knew precisely what she was doing - as for the placement of the lane I suspect it's there as parking to the right means cars come and go and cross the lane plus it exposes the most dangerous door - the driver door. By parking to the left they omit those two dangerous situations.

She knew full well from breath one she was in the wrong.

mg2ride
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
That biker is a complete D-Bag and you can thank him next time someone passes too close to you.

And after reading the comments in this thread I WILL find a bike lane to park in today.

Dead Man
03-28-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't think she necessarily did. I think she's probably just oblivious. She probably isn't familiar with the right-right bike lane thing, half-noted the signs but was in a hurry and figured it was irrelevant since bicyclists are irrelevant to her in general, and thought any impact would be incredibly minor given her short stay.

Then, while still being in the same hurry/huff that caused her to half ignore the signs she didn't understand, along comes Mr. I'llwait and his vendetta. :rolleyes:

But none of us are in her head.

Like I said - asshole v. asshole. How anyone can take a side in this stupid, stupid interaction is very surprising to me.. they both behaved like 3 year olds.

Shortsocks
03-28-2015, 02:13 PM
So I wstched some of his YouTube Vids.
This one was actual really good. It's short maybe 35 secs, but talk about being in the right place at the right time to catch a Blatent Hit and Run accident. The Taxi Cab Driver getting out of his cab and running after the dick was the best part:

http://youtu.be/1AamDBcbgSA

That was one of those "wish I had a go pro moments"

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Like I said - asshole v. asshole. How anyone can take a side in this stupid, stupid interaction is very surprising to me.. they both behaved like 3 year olds.

Because one person was breaking the law, swearing and being rude on another level - the other showed poor decorum.

If this is lost on you, I can not help you see my point and you will only your point.

Peter B
03-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Fair is not a grown-up concept...

Dead Man
03-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Because one person was breaking the law, swearing and being rude on another level - the other showed poor decorum.

If this is lost on you, I can not help you see my point and you will only your point.

I said it's surprising, not that I don't understand. I comprehend your point just fine, bru... I just disagree.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't think she necessarily did. I think she's probably just oblivious. She probably isn't familiar with the right-right bike lane thing, half-noted the signs but was in a hurry and figured it was irrelevant since bicyclists are irrelevant to her in general, and thought any impact would be incredibly minor given her short stay.

Then, while still being in the same hurry/huff that caused her to half ignore the signs she didn't understand, along comes . . . .

I'll use all items the next time I immediately tell someone to F off. I'll repost how it goes - my bet is smooth, bru.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 03:19 PM
GhostOfStarmanSuper has done more harm to cyclists than his attempt to make things better. This guy has a chip on his shoulder.
When the Fed-Ex driver in the other video responded to him: "ok, I'll be good", his response to him was a threat to report him to his supervisor (for breaking the law by being 6 inches over the bike lane line).

Just because the lady was also an a-hole does negate the fact that he is also one.

gdw
03-28-2015, 03:35 PM
What a dweeb.. bet he was a hall monitor in high school.

djdj
03-28-2015, 04:33 PM
wanted to be a hall monitor, but was passed over.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I thought the title of this post was on the specific incident: so now we are going to make it about this specific youtube person.

I just want to understand the rules TonyT - cause you keep changing them.

Yes, TonyT, he seems like a hall monitor and, frankly, a tool. This specific incident, the woman is much, much more of a tool.

So, Tony T, what, exactly, are we talking about? Oh, also, Tony T, when 2 people are equal assholes - typically the one who is breaking the law AND says "I literally don't give a ···· what you have to say" is the one who is given the bigger scolding, but I digress, cause I think we are talking not about this incident, but rather Ghost of Starman Super - a fellow bike rider.

Lemme know, and I'll be happy to play.

GhostOfStarmanSuper has done more harm to cyclists than his attempt to make things better. This guy has a chip on his shoulder.
When the Fed-Ex driver in the other video responded to him: "ok, I'll be good", his response to him was a threat to report him to his supervisor (for breaking the law by being 6 inches over the bike lane line).

Just because the lady was also an a-hole does negate the fact that he is also one.

Tony T
03-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Sorry, I thought the title of this post was on the specific incident: so now we are going to make it about this specific youtube person.

..are talking not about this incident, but rather Ghost of Starman Super - a fellow bike rider.

Cannot separate the two — Sorry.
And as far as "breaking the law" goes, parking violations are at the bottom of the list. He should have pointed out to her the infraction while passing and moved on. This may have had the desired effect of letting her know she was parking illegally. Stoping to confront her was wrong.

Are you GhostOfStarmanSuper? :) (who I do not associate as a "fellow rider", nor do I associate the lady as a "fellow driver")

buddybikes
03-28-2015, 06:58 PM
If he was nice to her perhaps he could of gotten laid...

fuzzalow
03-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Based on prior Internet behavioral characteristics this forum has been scrupulously notified of about narcissism, some Paceliners in this thread might have gone past that trigger point. I'm not gonna say who...

If he was nice to her perhaps he could of gotten laid...

A guy as tone deaf and as socially inept as like our intrepid videographer has likely never been alone in a room with one.

My apologies for being crass but it beckoned and I am without couth.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Cannot separate the two — Sorry.
And as far as "breaking the law" goes, parking violations are at the bottom of the list. . . .

Are you GhostOfStarmanSuper? :) (who I do not associate as a "fellow rider", nor do I associate the lady as a "fellow driver")

1st, asking me if I am the guy - whatever, man. . . . . (I'm trying to say this with both disdain and sarcasm, I hope it registered)

2nd, so we're going examine and pass judgment on the message, the messenger and the intent. I learned in philosophy 101 that with these parameters no one would pass and even Mother Theresa would fail.

3rd, when I am riding my bike, which is a fair bit, people who park their car in the bike lane are near the top of the list of law breakers who have a substantial impact on my well being. Nazi war criminals are near the bottom as they have no effect on me. . . . . just using your logic here.

velomonkey
03-28-2015, 08:03 PM
A guy as tone deaf and as socially inept as like our intrepid videographer has likely never been alone in a room with one.

My apologies for being crass but it beckoned and I am without couth.

It's a well known fact that people who on Saturday night post to internet bike sites are expects at getting women alone in a room.

Apologies: my couth seems to be missing, too. I think I lost it between the sofa pillows.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2015, 06:51 AM
1st, asking me if I am the guy - whatever, man. . . . . (I'm trying to say this with both disdain and sarcasm, I hope it registered)

2nd, so we're going examine and pass judgment on the message, the messenger and the intent. I learned in philosophy 101 that with these parameters no one would pass and even Mother Theresa would fail.

3rd, when I am riding my bike, which is a fair bit, people who park their car in the bike lane are near the top of the list of law breakers who have a substantial impact on my well being. Nazi war criminals are near the bottom as they have no effect on me. . . . . just using your logic here.

I think your disdain is because the guy was on a BIKE, if this were two pedestrians, one recording and one walking by..even if the conversation was identical..or a pedestrian and the driver..I doubt this tread would have even been posted. Yes, you defend cyclists, even this knucklehead. YES, the lady was wrong to park there, but the cyclist, with a known, personal mission to record people in cars doing bad things to people on bikes, is not helping the situation, IMHO.

Take a pic, record her license plate, send to police..move on.

djg21
03-29-2015, 07:56 AM

So what? He was more than a bit smug; he was an ass. If he felt obliged to stop, he could have simply asked if she realized she was blocking a bicycle lane and left it at that. It's not like the road was so busy that he could not safely ride around the parked car.

mg2ride
03-29-2015, 08:15 AM
...3rd, when I am riding my bike, which is a fair bit, people who park their car in the bike lane are near the top of the list of law breakers who have a substantial impact on my well being. Nazi war criminals are near the bottom as they have no effect on me. . . . . .

And this more than anything explains who velomonkey is. He lives in a world where he is the most important thing in it.

velomonkey
03-29-2015, 09:21 AM
And this more than anything explains who velomonkey is. He lives in a world where he is the most important thing in it.

LOLZ. That's what you got - ok, for the ones having an issue keeping up - when I said '. . . just using your logic.' That was an old high school debating trick to show how silly the other person's logic was (i.e., saying parking is at the bottom of the list of law breakers).

Now, rather than saying who I am - and you sure as hell don't know - the person I am is someone who stands up when a privileged ass like that woman flys off the handle when she knows she is in the wrong.

You have any other questions for me - about me - do yourself a favor and PM me and ask or say it, but don't post it.

Tony T
03-29-2015, 09:25 AM
… so we're going examine and pass judgment on the message, the messenger and the intent. I learned in philosophy 101 that with these parameters no one would pass and even Mother Theresa would fail.

The cyclists prior behavior should be taken into account. This does not change the fact that the lady was in the wrong, but he accomplished nothing with her.

Cyclists do more harm than good when accosting delivery workers who are on the road all day with cyclists and admonishes them for parking 6 inches over the line (with his flashers on, btw), and threatens to report them again to their supervisor. That behavior cannot be ignored when viewing his actions with "the lady".

velomonkey
03-29-2015, 09:26 AM
So what? He was more than a bit smug; he was an ass. If he felt obliged to stop, he could have simply asked if she realized she was blocking a bicycle lane and left it at that. It's not like the road was so busy that he could not safely ride around the parked car.

Again, that's your opinion - he did "ask her if she realized she was blocking a bike lane" - he did to the letter what you said - she flew off the handle, inturupted and swore at him.

You want to move on, that's you, I got no problem with someone giving it back to such an ass who knows they are wrong. Yes, the guy is imperfect, yes he looks for encounters, but none of that erases that SHE was in the wrong and SHE escalated it.

Tony T
03-29-2015, 09:31 AM
the person I am is someone who stands up when a privileged ass like that woman flys off the handle when she knows she is in the wrong.

Wow!
How can you possibly assume that?
For all you know she is a minimum wage worker moving her bosses car, and the cyclist is a retired hedge fund manager (and why would any of this matter in this situation?)

velomonkey
03-29-2015, 09:33 AM
I think your disdain is because the guy was on a BIKE, if this were two pedestrians, one recording and one walking by..even if the conversation was identical..or a pedestrian and the driver..I doubt this tread would have even been posted. Yes, you defend cyclists, even this knucklehead. YES, the lady was wrong to park there, but the cyclist, with a known, personal mission to record people in cars doing bad things to people on bikes, is not helping the situation, IMHO.

Take a pic, record her license plate, send to police..move on.

Wrong - and let me prove it - if that were a pedestrian walking on a sidewalk and recording - and it were a cyclist who was in the wrong on the sidewalk and the the cyclist acted like that after being asked if he/she knew this was wrong - I would have ZERO issue with role reversal. NONE.

I support the actions given the variables - not supporting the cause blindly. Even if the pedestrian was some anti-bike zealot - I would say the bike rider was totally the dick that needs admonishment.

velomonkey
03-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Wow!
How can you possibly assume that?
For all you know she is a minimum wage worker moving her bosses car, and the cyclist is a retired hedge fund manager (and why would any of this matter in this situation?)

Bro, are you just trying to talk circles here or what??? Everything you said, even if true, so what - she was still wrong and acted like an ass. Her actions are what made her entitled - not her class!!!!!!

mg2ride
03-29-2015, 09:39 AM
LOLZ. That's what you got - ok, for the ones having an issue keeping up - when I said '. . . just using your logic.' That was an old high school debating trick to show how silly the other person's logic was (i.e., saying parking is at the bottom of the list of law breakers).

Now, rather than saying who I am - and you sure as hell don't know - the person I am is someone who stands up when a privileged ass like that woman flys off the handle when she knows she is in the wrong.

You have any other questions for me - about me - do yourself a favor and PM me and ask or say it, but don't post it.

You can try to credit who ever you want to with the comment comparing illegal parking with genocide but it was you that thought it and posted it. You can only be judged by what YOU do and what YOU SAY.

ATMO, you post and your PM threat towards me indicates that you have some growing up to do.

velomonkey
03-29-2015, 09:45 AM
You can try to credit who ever you want to with the comment comparing illegal parking with genocide but it was you that thought it and posted it. You can only be judged by what YOU do and what YOU SAY.

ATMO, you post and your PM threat towards me indicates that you have some growing up to do.

Again, as I said to you - don't talk about me, the argument, sure, but not me. If you call that a threat . . . I think you might want to examine a few things. I'm gonna check off from this, cause you are making me a bit hot headed and for now I stand by every single word I said, but before you get to me, I am gonna check off.

Criticizing a member and not the discussion isn't cool. You might want to keep that in mind.

Tony T
03-29-2015, 09:46 AM
3rd, when I am riding my bike, which is a fair bit, people who park their car in the bike lane are near the top of the list of law breakers who have a substantial impact on my well being. Nazi war criminals are near the bottom as they have no effect on me.

Congratulations, you just proved "Godwin's Law"

bluesea
03-29-2015, 09:49 AM

There was no *comparison* of illegal parking with genocide. There was a *use* of a comparison of illegal parking with genocide, to show a point. Big difference.

Tony
03-29-2015, 09:53 AM

You clearly don't know this man, his intentions or anything about him. Your conclusions and your powers of reading comprehension and interpretation are lacking.

PM threat? That's a must!

mg2ride
03-29-2015, 09:54 AM
A...I'm gonna check off from this, cause you are making me a bit hot headed and for now I stand by every single word I said, but before you get to me, I am gonna check off.....

I'm glad you were abel to learn something from the exchange.

Rusty Luggs
03-29-2015, 11:07 AM
“….as far as "breaking the law" goes, parking violations are at the bottom of the list…”
This isn’t an abstract logical argument – people who write the laws define the seriousness of the infractions and penalties associated with them. We are not talking about a felony, or misdemeanor, it’s a “violation”. And on the spectrum of motor vehicle violations, it isn’t at the upper end of those (not a “moving violation”, no points,). Penalty? A ticket. A fine.

mcewen
03-29-2015, 05:57 PM
Imagine a CAR lane in Seattle where a bike (and biker) stops in the middle of it to (literally just adjust his helmet and) eat a Gel. When a car (and driver) come upon the blocked CAR lane, and the driver stops short and says, "Excuse me, is this your bike?"

The biker says, "I literally just stopped, you can keep going. I literally don't give a ···· about anything you are saying as a motorist. This is a mistake, go around me like everybody else. You are the sole reason why bike riders don't like cars."

Who was wrong, in this scenario? The bike rider.

How is this any different?

bluesea
03-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Imagine a CAR lane in Seattle where a bike (and biker) stops in the middle of it to (literally just adjust his helmet and) eat a Gel. When a car (and driver) come upon the blocked CAR lane, and the driver stops short and says, "Excuse me, is this your bike?"

The biker says, "I literally just stopped, you can keep going. I literally don't give a ···· about anything you are saying as a motorist. This is a mistake, go around me like everybody else. You are the sole reason why bike riders don't like cars."

Who was wrong, in this scenario? The bike rider.

How is this any different?

Sad that you have to break it down so simplistically. :beer: