PDA

View Full Version : REI dividends are out!

AngryScientist
03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
anyone got their eye on anything?

vqdriver
03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
i'm in need of a hitch rack but i'm paralyzed between getting a kuat on sale or a 1up. part of me knows the 1up is better made. the more practical side of me says i don't need something like that for occasional use.

otherwise, always looking for a good tent or shell. when it's 'free' money everything's a necessity....

scrubadub
03-27-2015, 11:16 AM
I request the dividends check right away to remove the temptation of buying unnecessary stuff. That said, I'm thinking about a Kickr this year.

Likes2ridefar
03-27-2015, 11:17 AM
I only got $67 dollars this year since I forgot to always use their credit card when purchasing things...

It'll probably go to the baby slush fund of which I have no choice in purchases.

merlinmurph
03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Gee, what shall I buy with my $2.31 dividend? ;-)

With a store nearby, I buy a fair amount of stuff from REI, but end up with a paltry dividend because almost everything I buy is on sale and is ineligible for a dividend.

PQJ
03-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Yes. I got my eye on something that's excluded from the 20% off coupon included with the ($25) dividend. Damn lawyers!

rnhood
03-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm considering a pair of the Shimano R171 shoes. I like the Giro Synthe helmet too but its still expensive.

cderalow
03-27-2015, 12:21 PM

With a store nearby, I buy a fair amount of stuff from REI, but end up with a paltry dividend because almost everything I buy is on sale and is ineligible for a dividend.

yeah, i realized that too late after buying my CAAD10 there on closeout... no $130 dividend for me :mad:

instead a fun $4.XX

zap
03-27-2015, 12:23 PM
My wife will go on an acquisition spree……nothing cycling related.

Cornfed
03-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Combine that dividend with the 20REWARDS 20% off code and you can get to some pretty good prices. I decided to finally take the plunge on a Yeti cooler. We'll see if they're as good as everyone says.

mtb_frk
03-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Wahoo kickr for me. Still a boat load of money, but a dividend, 20% off and three gift cards I have been saving for a while makes it slight less painful.

carpediemracing
03-27-2015, 01:07 PM

I think I bought them at EMS but I got really good shoelaces for $3 for my boots. I just installed my last set so I need to get another few sets.

This thread is interesting because I didn't know about the dividend thing with REI. I think around here the closest is an EMS but I use the store names interchangeably, now I'll pay attention.

tiretrax
03-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Yes. I got my eye on something that's excluded from the 20% off coupon included with the ($25) dividend. Damn lawyers!

Probably the accountants, not the lawyers.

likebikes
03-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Probably the accountants, not the lawyers.

more like the manufactures, who set minimum pricing guidelines and the like.

likebikes
03-27-2015, 01:39 PM
I only got $67 dollars this year since I forgot to always use their credit card when purchasing things...

It'll probably go to the baby slush fund of which I have no choice in purchases.
how do you put your dividend (ergo gift certificate, redeemable only @ rei) into a baby fund?

cp43
03-27-2015, 01:51 PM
how do you put your dividend (ergo gift certificate, redeemable only @ rei) into a baby fund?

You can request a check from REI for the amount of your dividend. I think you can also get cash from a store, if they have enough in the register.

Official info here: https://www.rei.com/membership/dividend/

mtb_frk
03-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I ended up getting cash from the store last year. It was as easy as anything at REI. I think our dividend was $230 last year and it wasn't a issue.

Schmed
03-27-2015, 04:57 PM
>$500 for us. I guess we use that darn REI credit card too much :eek:

I normally buy good camping gear for my scouting boys so I don't have to worry about them freezing to death on the side of a mountain somewhere.

Dustin
03-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Lots earned from the credit card. But I gotta say: rei ain't what it used to be, especially in cycling. Used to be I could at least use the dividend to get a new pair of sidis. So I may be getting cash this year.

wc1934
03-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Lots earned from the credit card. But I gotta say: rei ain't what it used to be, especially in cycling. Used to be I could at least use the dividend to get a new pair of sidis. So I may be getting cash this year.

Yeah - They don't carry sidi's anymore -

I picked up this jacket -
http://www.rei.com/product/882017/louis-garneau-cascade-bike-jacket-mens-2011-closeout

PaMtbRider
03-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Was at the local REI today and picked up trekking poles for the wife. Glad we switched to an Amazon reward Visa from the REI Visa we had been using. So much easier spending Amazon rewards for us. REI is still a good store, just not as good for us anymore.

93legendti
03-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Only $5 this year and so far the 20% discounts haven't gotten me to peruse the website. Frankly, I find Amazon's prices cheaper and selection is better.

old fat man
03-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I think I bought them at EMS but I got really good shoelaces for $3 for my boots. I just installed my last set so I need to get another few sets.

This thread is interesting because I didn't know about the dividend thing with REI. I think around here the closest is an EMS but I use the store names interchangeably, now I'll pay attention.

If you're talking about the two in west Hartford, that ems is terrible, especially if you could go to rei in blue back.

I earned $5.50 this year. I seem to return a lot more than I keep at rei these days so maybe I'll just get the cash.

If you buy online, you can go through a site like mr rebates and get an extra 3% back: http://www.mrrebates.com/search_stores.asp?k=REI&g_search_option=S&refid=582568

R3awak3n
03-27-2015, 08:12 PM
I got $7, don't even remember buying anything at REI last year but I must have. I really don't need anything but I will come up with something thats for sure.

carpediemracing
03-27-2015, 08:21 PM
If you're talking about the two in west Hartford, that ems is terrible, especially if you could go to rei in blue back.

EMS in Avon, CT. I looked up REI, there isn't one around there so it's just that EMS.

cderalow
03-27-2015, 08:25 PM
EMS in Avon, CT. I looked up REI, there isn't one around there so it's just that EMS.

The one by west farms?

p nut
03-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Thermarest closed cell foam mat for bikepacking. Don't trust my Prolite in the backcountry.

old fat man
03-27-2015, 09:08 PM
The one by west farms?

The EMS by west farms is terribly small with nothing exciting to buy atma. There is another one in Avon area. I've never been there.

blessthismess
03-27-2015, 10:00 PM
My dividend is a pitiful $7.29 so probably just a spare tube this year. A tube is a tube though so no complaints here.

csm
03-28-2015, 07:42 AM
$124 and change..... And I don't *need* anything.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carpediemracing
03-28-2015, 07:55 AM
The one by west farms?

It's in the weird Canton/SImsbury/Avon intersection area. I live in a part of Simsbury and I learned that the 500 feet of Route 44 property there (in Simbury) accounts for some massive amount of tax revenue for the town.

It's near the theaters, Bed Bath Beyond, Bertuccis, Chilis, some other stuff. Lots of stores right there. Best Buy, McDs, the Nissan/Toyota/Honda dealerships across the street, Staples across the intersection.

brendonk
03-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Kuat NV rack for me. After the 20% off and my dividend it came in right about $200. Ordered it Tuesday afternoon and it came in to the store yesterday. Headed over to pick it up this afternoon.

commonguy001
03-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Looks like ours is just under 260 bucks, kinda shocking how much we spend there as it doesn't ever seem like we buy anything at full price.
Don't think there is anything I need so I guess my wife will buy more stuff she thinks she needs.

wc1934
03-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Looks like ours is just under 260 bucks, kinda shocking how much we spend there as it doesn't ever seem like we buy anything at full price.
Don't think there is anything I need so I guess my wife will buy more stuff she thinks she needs.

just take the cash!

mtb_frk
03-28-2015, 07:56 PM
My wife picked up my kickr today. I was really surprised they actually had one. I went in looking to buy a tire and just on a chance I decided to walk by the trainers.

I've found lately that their prices don't seem very competitive anymore. So I have a hard time buying any bike related things unless I have a dividend and/or gift cards to use.

JeffS
03-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Yea, my $14.19 isn't burning a hole in my pocket.

The Tamland I purchased was excluded.

unterhausen
03-29-2015, 04:30 PM
I bought something I was going to buy anyway, and got the divident as a result. Generally, I would rather buy local, but sometimes they are the best option

Willy
03-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Seriously looking at a jacket with magnetic sleeves where the sleeves come on and off very easily. Anyone have something like this? I have a Gore jacket with zippers and they are a pain to put on and off.

http://www.rei.com/product/875014/sugoi-zap-versa-bike-jacket-mens#tab-questionsAndAnswers

Wilkinson4
03-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Just picked up a Benchmade Griptillian knife. $30 dividend, 20% off and a $20 rebate card in my pocket so I thought i would splurge.

Funny, i just dropped some coin for ti handlebars and thought nothing of it… I guess splurge is relative:)

Actually, i did think about the bars. I want more sweep due to my wrist injury. That is how I justified it:)

mIKE

Anarchist
03-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Seems I spent even less than I thought, my dividend is $8.34.

If I used clinchers I could buy a couple of tubes ......

mtb_frk
03-30-2015, 06:26 AM
So what would you do, I opened up my kickr and it is clearly used. It is strange the box doesn't look like it's been opened, but nothing was packaged correctly, the manual was smudged with grease and the 1-800 customer number is circled, and it is missing the brake block thingy for disc brakes, cassette has grease on it. I set it up and used it briefly and I think it is working ok. I am but annoyed to buy something this expensive only to find out it was returned for some reason. If it was a regular trainer it wouldn't be a big deal, but with the electronics and possibility of failure I am hesitant to keep it. Should I return it and get another one? Also it having the customer support phone number circled worries me.

veloduffer
03-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Because we bought a kayak and other stuff, we had a healthy $239 dividend. I used it to buy a set of Thule AeroBlades for our new Ford Explorer. Coupled with the 20% off, it "saved" me quite a bit.

I was going to buy the Yakima WhispBar (similar aero design) but the REI salesguy talked me out of it. He showed me the differences in design in the clamps and he's installed many of both. I got similar good advice when we bought a kayak. That's one reason I like REI - most of the folks have used or are knowledgeable about the stuff they sell.

kimpw
03-30-2015, 07:57 AM
first time REI member, does your dividend "roll over" or would I have to spend them within a certain time?

yummygooey
03-30-2015, 08:23 AM
i got a garmin 510 yesterday with my dividend and a bunch of gift cards i had. unfortunately, gps devices are excluded from the 20% off coupon. womp! :bike:

Anarchist
03-30-2015, 08:41 AM
So what would you do, I opened up my kickr and it is clearly used. It is strange the box doesn't look like it's been opened, but nothing was packaged correctly, the manual was smudged with grease and the 1-800 customer number is circled, and it is missing the brake block thingy for disc brakes, cassette has grease on it. I set it up and used it briefly and I think it is working ok. I am but annoyed to buy something this expensive only to find out it was returned for some reason. If it was a regular trainer it wouldn't be a big deal, but with the electronics and possibility of failure I am hesitant to keep it. Should I return it and get another one? Also it having the customer support phone number circled worries me.

This is one of the things about REI that really ticks me off. No questions asked returns but if you do return something they seem to just throw it back on the shelf.

I had the same experience recently where I did not even check the box until I got home, that was when I found out it had been sold and returned. The internal packGing was folded over and taped and a number of pieces missing.

So another 45 minutes in the car to go back to REI and no questions asked, returned. I pity the person that buys that product next.

This is one of the reasons I just shop at REI a lot less.

Were I you, I would re-package the thing and take it back.

cderalow
03-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Seriously looking at a jacket with magnetic sleeves where the sleeves come on and off very easily. Anyone have something like this? I have a Gore jacket with zippers and they are a pain to put on and off.

http://www.rei.com/product/875014/sugoi-zap-versa-bike-jacket-mens#tab-questionsAndAnswers

i tried one of those on in the store saturday.... it felt very stiff for some reason... not sure if it was the pixel material or what.

i had a cannondale one like that, that I sold off due to non-use.

i like the sugoi version for the reflectivity, the cannondale while useful, wasn't cut very well for cycling I found.

torquer
03-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Wahoo kickr for me. Still a boat load of money, but a dividend, 20% off and three gift cards I have been saving for a while makes it slight less painful.
Where did you see the Kickr? A search for Wahoo on REI's website only brings up TICKRs and an iPhone case.

Steve K
03-30-2015, 03:32 PM
REI sold out of them at least on-line. Was told from customer support no information in front lines hands on if/when they will restock.

chriscap
03-30-2015, 11:33 PM
REI sold out of them at least on-line. Was told from customer support no information in front lines hands on if/when they will restock.

Yeah - I was debating getting a kickr when i first received my dividend, but it wasn't until i got an additional gift card this past weekend that I made the decision to buy it. But alas...

I'm going to check my local store, but i don't hold out too much hope. Seems odd that they completely removed it from the site instead of listing it as 'out of stock'. Maybe trying to avoid a raincheck situation?

bingomck
03-31-2015, 12:48 AM
Keep looking at this... 20% off applies, rebate. Decisions! http://m.rei.com/product/875001/novara-strada-5d-bike-2015

AngryScientist
03-31-2015, 06:35 AM
i wound up picking up a patagonia bag i've had my eye on. 20% + rebate, pretty much took it home for nothing. sweet.

guido
03-31-2015, 06:45 AM
My dividend was $3.03. Decisions decisions...

mtb_frk
04-30-2015, 08:20 PM
So after about a month I got my trainer exchanged. I posted earlier in the thread that I had found a kickr in the store, got home and found that it was clearly used. The store was great to work with, and the only reason it took so long was that we were waiting for it to come back in stock. I am guessing someone bought the original one online then returned it. Upon opening the new one, everything was in the box and packaged as it should be. When they ordered it online they made sure it came from a warehouse instead of a store.

This is second time this has happened, the other item I purchased was a hitch rack that was used and returned. It had stripped screws and a number of scrapes. I guess as nice as the liberal return policy is, it doesn't always work out so good on the other end of the deal.

BSBD
04-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Bought a pair in tan, http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/gloves/lx.html using my dividend plus coupon.

zmudshark
04-30-2015, 09:40 PM
So after about a month I got my trainer exchanged. I posted earlier in the thread that I had found a kickr in the store, got home and found that it was clearly used. The store was great to work with, and the only reason it took so long was that we were waiting for it to come back in stock. I am guessing someone bought the original one online then returned it. Upon opening the new one, everything was in the box and packaged as it should be. When they ordered it online they made sure it came from a warehouse instead of a store.

This is second time this has happened, the other item I purchased was a hitch rack that was used and returned. It had stripped screws and a number of scrapes. I guess as nice as the liberal return policy is, it doesn't always work out so good on the other end of the deal.
I live in MI and AZ. In AZ those returned items go to their garage sale (local one last weekend). They don't do that in MI. There were a couple of kickr's at the sale, one in a water damaged, but unopened box. It was half off. There may be a law in MI that prevents their garage sale, but it's crazy in AZ, folks camped overnight to be first in. At least returns are easy at REI.

mtb_frk
04-30-2015, 10:18 PM
We have garage sales here in Michigan. I have scored some really good deals on things in the past. My wife found a photo shoot arc'terx pack, and I have bought a number of tents there. You never know what you might find.

zmudshark
04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
We have garage sales here in Michigan. I have scored some really good deals on things in the past. My wife found a photo shoot arc'terx pack, and I have bought a number of tents there. You never know what you might find.Northville? Not in A2. PHX has a few a year.

mtb_frk
05-01-2015, 05:30 AM
For sure northville and Troy. Troy is usually a bit more chaotic because they basically let everyone in at once.