PDA

View Full Version : Experience with HAC4

mdeeds71
04-13-2006, 06:58 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experience with the HAC4 and is it a good alternative to get started with using power for training? I have heard that it is only accurate for no wind, and is problematic. I am wanting to start pin pointing my training since I have very little time and debating about getting one of these or waiting till next year for a powertap SL

jbrainin
04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experience with the HAC4 and is it a good alternative to get started with using power for training? I have heard that it is only accurate for no wind, and is problematic. I am wanting to start pin pointing my training since I have very little time and debating about getting one of these or waiting till next year for a powertap SL

The HAC4 has been discontinued and is to be replaced by the HAC5 which, according to Ciclosport, will be released next month (or the month after that or…) The power reading on a HAC4 is rarely useful except when climbing. I've used HAC4's for a few years now and have gone through at least one unit each year. They are not the most reliable devices one can acquire.

For measuring altitude while riding, the HAC4 is the best computer I've used to date, bettering Avocet 50's, Specialized P-Brain (and some others I've forgotten over the years). It's on-the-bike average speed function is useless as the average speed does not have a tenths measurement.

The iBike computer (website: http://ibikesports.com/) looks kinda interesting even if I've no idea if it will actually work.

Ti-Boy
04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
I have been generally happy with the HAC4. However, I do not consider the power function to be accurate at all. My greatest power output appears when soft pedaling on a downhill. If power is your focus, the HAC4 is not the best choice.

buechse
04-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm using a HAC4 and I really like it for the altitude measurement and the possibility to transfer the data to a PC via USB. But forget about the power measurement. It makes no sense to me, maybe apart from climbs (as mentioned above). If you're looking for precise power measurement there is no other way to go than SRM (sorry, I'm German :-)).

Best regards,
Peter