PDA

View Full Version : Inspired to Ride (Movie Trailer)

firerescuefin
03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
https://vimeo.com/123160209

On June 7, 2014, forty-five cyclists from around the world set out on the inaugural Trans Am Bike Race, following the famed TransAmerica Trail. Their mission is to cover 4,233 miles in one enormous stage race, traversing through ten states in a transcontinental adventure of epic proportions. Inspired To Ride follows closely the journey of a handful of these cyclists as they prepare, compete and experience what riding 300 miles a day feels like with only a few hours sleep. These racers will rely solely on their fitness, meticulously chosen gear and mental fortitude to get them to the finish. There are no support teams, no follow vehicles and no prize money waiting at the end. They will endure agonizing climbs in the Rockies, driving winds in the Great Plains and sawtooth switchbacks in the Appalachians all for a pat on the back, bragging rights and a cold beer when its all over. Some are out to win, while others are simply trying to finish. Ultimately, this is a story of the human spirit of these men and women making history and inspired to ride in the ride of a lifetime. The audience will experience their journey amidst the jaw-dropping beauty along the TransAmerica Trail with its varied landscapes, intriguing locals and found stories which dot this path of discovery.
- Written by Mike Dion

mktng
03-26-2015, 07:43 AM
saw the trailer. pretty much made me want to quit my job...get on my bike...and ride around the world :P

ericssonboi
03-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks for sharing. Seems like it'll be an interesting watch.

Saint Vitus
03-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Of the 45 starting out, 25 finished it seems. One chap did it in 17 days 18 hours and the guy in last took 116 days! Maybe he did some sightseeing along the route...

Dirtdiggler
04-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Movie is available on Netflix.

eBAUMANN
04-07-2016, 06:48 PM
watched this a couple night ago on a whim, had never heard of it, it was great. made me want to ride x-country more than ever...though my fears of kansas were not assuaged, at all.

ptourkin
04-07-2016, 06:50 PM
watched this a couple night ago on a whim, had never heard of it, it was great. made me want to ride x-country more than ever...though my fears of kansas were not assuaged, at all.

Nope. I registered, but Kansas is a main reason I decided not to race this year. The waiver required acknowledgement that "15% of racers were hit by cars last year." A friend is still doing it in a 2x team - a new feature, you ride together, not in a relay.

shovelhd
04-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Nope. I registered, but Kansas is a main reason I decided not to race this year. The waiver required acknowledgement that "15% of racers were hit by cars last year." A friend is still doing it in a 2x team - a new feature, you ride together, not in a relay.

Wow.

malcolm
04-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I think this is the one where the lady from Australia was killed just a few days from finishing. I may have it confused but I think it talks about it at the end.

eBAUMANN
04-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I think this is the one where the lady from Australia was killed just a few days from finishing. I may have it confused but I think it talks about it at the end.

She's in there pretty early on, definitely a "WHAT?!" moment for me. Pretty sad.

jmal
04-07-2016, 09:54 PM
I love part at the beginning where the woman talks about pros having a five star cycling experience at races. She is under the impression that they have the perfect diet/meals and they stay at nice hotels. Perhaps a very select few, but from what I have heard there is a great deal of lousy food and quite a few terrible hotels.

ripvanrando
04-07-2016, 10:20 PM

That was my DNF point. I wanted to do it

15% is too high.

Bad route in many places mixed with some long hours in the saddle.

I considered just doing 16 hours 100% in the saddle and sleeping full night (5-6 hours) to minimize the risks. 4300 miles would take me around 25 days but the spirit of the race would be out the window.

Shoeman
04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Just Finished on Netflix (new subscriber) well done with nice camera shots of the countryside. Grueling to say the least, the Lady who was new to cycling was awesome!!

Drmojo
04-08-2016, 06:25 PM
We did it in 2006 on fixed gear bikes
We did have support
But 3500 miles in 29 days
One rest day
I now wish I had taken more time to see the country
And riding at night is never very appealing
We slept each night
I am most impressed by the old folks, never big cyclists before
Just doing TransAm at their own pace
No GPS
No aero bars
No carbon anything
A chacun a son gout I suppose
Good film
Ours is better 😜🚴😜🚴

huck*this
04-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Just finished watching with the wife. Great film and thanks for the heads up OP.:beer:

ColonelJLloyd
04-08-2016, 09:44 PM
A couple in their 60s stopped and ate at my restaurant this past summer riding the Trans Am route for the third time. Sweet folks. The man (English) said he didn't care for bourbon. I changed his mind. :beer:

weisan
04-09-2016, 12:29 AM

jwalther
04-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Great movie. My local club sponsored a showing.

bobswire
04-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up,I'll watch it this evening on Netflix.

ahsere
04-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Personal and professional obligations have kept me almost completely off the bike for the last two years. I am starting a new job in the summer and I will hopefully have a lot more time to ride. But since riding is presently something that would require a lot of planning and finding a nanny, etc., I have kept postponing my riding until I am in a more ride-friendly situation. I started watching the film last night, but I was dog tired and I could only finish it this morning, and I immediately went out for a ride.
It was chilly (low 40s) and I was optimistic with my choice of clothing, so I was cold the whole time. This alone would have made it an unpleasant outing, as I hate getting cold on the bike, but having the film in mind, I kept laughing at my own wimpiness and pedaling along. I ended up having a great time and a great ride, the longest one in quite a while. I was quite literally "inspired to ride" by the film.

soulspinner
04-09-2016, 05:22 PM
A couple in their 60s stopped and ate at my restaurant this past summer riding the Trans Am route for the third time. Sweet folks. The man (English) said he didn't care for bourbon. I changed his mind. :beer:

Altruistic:rolleyes:

ColonelJLloyd
04-10-2016, 11:38 PM
I watched half of this a few days ago and finished it tonight. It wasn't a bad doc, but it wasn't great either. My biggest takeaways were:

How sad it was to hear of the Aussie lady who was killed in a hit and run near the end of her tribute journey.
How the the people of rural America are typically eager to lend a hand and encouragement to strangers.
How ridiculous it is that riders embarking on a 3,500 mile unsupported race were unable to perform basic maintenance/preventative maintenance on their bike.
How narcissistic and patronizing (the woman) and archaically misogynistic (the two men) the Italians represented themselves. Hopefully each of them are better people in real life.

weisan
04-11-2016, 05:18 AM
Personal and professional obligations have kept me almost completely off the bike for the last two years. I am starting a new job in the summer and I will hopefully have a lot more time to ride. But since riding is presently something that would require a lot of planning and finding a nanny, etc., I have kept postponing my riding until I am in a more ride-friendly situation. I started watching the film last night, but I was dog tired and I could only finish it this morning, and I immediately went out for a ride.
It was chilly (low 40s) and I was optimistic with my choice of clothing, so I was cold the whole time. This alone would have made it an unpleasant outing, as I hate getting cold on the bike, but having the film in mind, I kept laughing at my own wimpiness and pedaling along. I ended up having a great time and a great ride, the longest one in quite a while. I was quite literally "inspired to ride" by the film.

ashere pal, that's super awesome. I hope you stay "inspired" and keep it up.

maxdog
04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Is this the lineage of the RAAM (Lon, Pete, et al...) ?

unterhausen
04-11-2016, 01:27 PM
I think it might be more in the lineage of the Divide, seeing as how both are Adventure Cycling routes. Maybe it's a response to RAAM, which is a big production. RAAM solo costs tons of money.

I think if someone seriously accused me of cheating, I would definitely make sure to beat them, so I don't see anything wrong with the person that took offense. I thought it was pretty amusing, ("the Italians are here")

ColonelJLloyd
04-11-2016, 01:44 PM
I don't disagree there. But her remarks to and about the locals that were helping her were distasteful. And she was full of humblebrags. I mean, learn how to install a friggin' chain.

I think if someone seriously accused me of cheating, I would definitely make sure to beat them, so I don't see anything wrong with the person that took offense. I thought it was pretty amusing, ("the Italians are here")

ptourkin
04-11-2016, 01:49 PM
I think it might be more in the lineage of the Divide, seeing as how both are Adventure Cycling routes. Maybe it's a response to RAAM, which is a big production. RAAM solo costs tons of money.

Correct. Also, Mike Dion, who made this movie, made Ride the Divide. Julianna is trying to crowd fund a RAAM attempt this year but it's an entirely different genre and subculture, as evidenced by the heckling of the "RAAM guy." A race close to my heart, the Silver State 508, which is in the lineage of Lon, John Merino, John Howard etc.., now offers a self-supported class (which I did last year and am doing this year) which is a much less expensive way to tackle ultra-racing. Registration is still open (plug plug) :banana: