PDA

View Full Version : roues magiques

merckx
03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Several years ago I needed some new wheels for winter training, and wet summer rides. I had been using a pair of Ambrosio Excellence rims laced to Campag hubs that served me well until the brake track cracked from wear. I had a pair of NOS Mavic MA40's hanging from a peg in the basement so decided to lace those up to the Campag hubs. This was a standard build mind you; DT 14db spokes and brass nipples, 32 count. I was reluctant to bother with the MA40's because my other clinchers were the ubiquitous 23mm and it seemed a stutter-step backward to use 20mm's again. Never-the-less, I thought, when will I ever use these poor Mavics if I don't now? After I built them, I don't remember what rubber I fit to them, I just remember the good ride I had that first day on them. These wheels didn't get used much as they were relegated to trench duty when the conditions were right, or wrong. When those first tires wore thin, I replaced them with another pair of thick-skinned brutes. Another ride and another day of good legs. It seemed that they enjoyed rolling over broken tarmac like they were lapping up the head of a frothy cream soda. They were just so smooth even with ···· tires! Then I had the idea about fitting some nice tires. I pulled a pair of Vittoria Evo CX tires from my pampered wheels and couldn't mount them to the Mavics fast enough. I was not disappointed with the result. They just squeezed every pimple in the road and rolled and rolled and rolled. I couldn't push the pedals hard enough because they felt so good. Do you have a pair of magic wheels?

rnhood
03-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Yes, my DA C24 wheels. One of the best cycling purchases I ever made. In fact I own two sets.

Pastashop
03-26-2015, 04:59 AM
Polished Al Campy Shamals. Fast and the sunlight reflected offa them nicely. Made any bike look gorgeous. Ok, so I'm shallow!.. :-)

oldpotatoe
03-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Mee too. Love the ride of my Moots, with DT585 rims, 25c Open Paves but my Merckx MXLeader, with Campagnolo box section tubulars, Vittoria Corsa Elite...well I can tell the ride is 'better' from the first couple of pedal strokes. This combo is, magic.

thwart
03-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Ambrosio Crono F20's, laced to 28h Record hubs with black DT spokes, and currently wearing a set of Corsa Elites.

Magic wheels. Soft + stiff + fast.

merckx
11-06-2018, 05:25 PM
I just wanted to pull this old post up about my magic MA40 wheels as referenced in Angry's post about his TB14 wheels. Funny to read this again. All still true.