PDA

View Full Version : shipping bike to UK

thwart
03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
I've got someone who wants to buy my Hors frameset (listed on eBay), but he lives in the UK. Trying to decide if it's worth the hassle.

My only overseas shipping experience was to Australia a few yrs ago, and I had to shoehorn the frame 'n' fork into a very small box (H x L x W = tiny), and drop something like $250 for shipping.

Any experience with shipping a bike to England?

eBAUMANN
03-25-2015, 05:38 PM
cheaper to england for sure (over AUS) but USPS and the 108" box dimension is still your best option price wise.

I shipped a frame to switzerland via USPS recently for $65, cant imagine it would be much more/less to england.

ultraman6970
03-25-2015, 08:48 PM
If you keep the box under 108 you will be fine using usps.

zmudshark
03-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Tom,

eBay may offer better shipping options. I've never done it, but I think you can compute the cost of shipping and have a 'private' auction. eBay/Paypal will still get their 13%, but it may make things simpler in the long run for all parties. Protection + cheap shipping may pay off. You may only have to pay US ground costs to the nearest eBay forwarding location.

YMMV, but shipping overseas is reasonable via eBay, just pack accordingly.

spacemen3
04-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Any other recommendations? Is there a some magic trick to fit a L/XL frame into a box that doesn't exceed the 108 dimensions limit? When did overseas shipping become such a pain?

paredown
04-02-2015, 06:43 PM
I've put in a plug before for FEDEX Great Rates--based on the recommendations of several of the long-time sellers on the Classic Rendezvous list.

It is a spot price--you fill out a form, and they will come back to you with a best last minute price...kinda like discounted tickets.

Anyways, details here:
http://www.fedex.com/us/greatrates/index.html

With couriers though it pays to look at whether or not the item is dutiable etc, since it will definitely go through customs (and will require a multiple page "invoice"--I've done simple invoices in Word in multiple copies)

With UK Post, it may incur duties as well--when we were over there they seemed to delight in dinging you for duty and excise tax.