PDA

View Full Version : wheelbuilders, please help lost thread

roadrashdave196
03-24-2015, 03:00 AM
Hello to all ,I am seeking a bit of help

I am looking to buy a truing stand, I can't find it but there was a thread on here where some of the wheel guys had pointed out the pro end of the market.

If anyone could point me to that thread it would be appreciated

DT.

ergott
03-24-2015, 04:24 AM
Are you looking for a pro stand. You don't really need one unless you are doing volume. You can start off with your bike turned upside down and using the brake pads as indicators. Use a zip tie on the stay or fork for radial indicator.

cmbicycles
03-24-2015, 06:32 AM
It depends on what you are looking for out of the stand. As Ergott mentioned you can do without for most truing, but it is nice to have decent equipment all the same if it fits your budget. Here are a couple options, there are others out there as well, I don't know exact prices off the top of my head but those are easy enough to find shopping around.

P&K Lie - very precise, high end-$$$$
Park TS-2 (2.2) - Standard for most bike shops- $$$
Minoura (or similar) - Good basic stand - $$
Feedback - single sided, more portable- $$

If you are looking to build wheels, a tensiometer and a dishing tool could possibly be on your radar as well.

R3awak3n
03-24-2015, 07:03 AM
I don't build a lot of wheels but got the park. I thought about buying the Minora or feedback but decided to pay a bit more and get the park which had the best reviews. I got it for a good price and I am very happy with it. 6 wheels later I couldn't ask for a better stand.

oldpotatoe
03-24-2015, 07:04 AM
It depends on what you are looking for out of the stand. As Ergott mentioned you can do without for most truing, but it is nice to have decent equipment all the same if it fits your budget. Here are a couple options, there are others out there as well, I don't know exact prices off the top of my head but those are easy enough to find shopping around.

P&K Lie - very precise, high end-$$$$
Park TS-2 (2.2) - Standard for most bike shops- $$$
Minoura (or similar) - Good basic stand - $$
Feedback - single sided, more portable- $$

If you are looking to build wheels, a tensiometer and a dishing tool could possibly be on your radar as well.

TS-2 and be done. More like $+1/2 ...not that expensive. 4 figure truing stands with dials are interesting, in that they can measure far more precision than is present in even very high end rims, even when new.

F150
03-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Money spent on my second-hand TS-2 (<$100 with adj. base) well worth the money, if for no other reason than the reduced lower back and eye strain. Set atop an adjustable height table, standing proves much easier on my 6'-5" frame than sitting on a 5 gallon and trying to eyeball pad to sidewall clearance with bike in repair stand.

Keith A
03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Is this the thread you are looking for?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163980

tmf
03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Regarding truing stands, if you have 29" tubeless wheels for a mountain bike, it's nice to be able to leave the tires on and fit them in the truing stand. The Park TS-2.2 will do this, and I think the older TS-2.1 will with available extensions. Prior to having tubeless 29" wheels, I was using an old, cheapo Minoura stand, but it didn't work with the big boy wheels.

I've been very, very happy with my TS-2.2, and I enjoy building wheels more now than I did before. I also have a Park dish gauge and tension meter. They aren't mandatory, but help to build a better wheel more efficiently.

roadrashdave196
03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone. Keith that's not the thread exactly, for my sins I build motorcycle frames and wheels hence my interest now In cycles, I recall the chap mentioning it handled spoked motorcycle wheels easily.

I was sure I saw a piece on one of the cycling forums and the price was certainly not four figures, perhaps bookmarking pages is something I think I need to start doing as my old grey matter doesn't seem to function like it used to.

Thanks

DT.