PDA

View Full Version : Rapha question on bibs

Cicli
03-23-2015, 06:02 PM
So, I am thinking of getting some Rapha bibs. What do I get in the $250 models that are not in the $150 models. Can a guy that only spends 3 hours in the saddle tell? I am just looking to get some really nice bibs and these came onto the radar. Thanks and flame war on.

pdmtong
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Assuming fit is good for you how about 4+ seasons of 125-175 days riding with no stretch fade thinning see thru pilling or pad compression?

All day comfortable and last a long time

MattTuck
03-23-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm confused. Are you asking for the difference between the classic bibs compared to the team sky british national champion replica bibs that are now selling for 150?

Or to compare Rapha classic bibs to other bibs that are available in the market for 150?

joosttx
03-23-2015, 07:22 PM
$150 model is new and I have no idea what they are about.

I own the Rapha classic (M) and the pro (L) bibs +$200 bibs. Both are very nice but different. The Classic is a thicker more elastic Lycra while the Pro is of a thinner less elastic material. The Pro is well more pro, form fitting, and the Classic is more relax. I am not sure which I like better in the winter but I do like the pro bibs better in the summer.

The best bibs I own are the Q36-5 Salopette-L1-Essential bibs. They are noticeably better than what Rapha has.

Kentf14
03-23-2015, 08:23 PM
It all comes down to personal preference.
If you are lean, like a lot of compression and a thick pad, the Pro Team Bibs ($290) can't be beat IMO.
The Classics ($235) also have the same really nice Cytech pad, but the Lycra and the bib straps have a little more give which, if this is what you like, is very nice. I feel like these are the most naturally comfortable of the three options.
The Lightweight ($230) bib shorts are also great, but the pad is perforated for better ventilation, which makes it compress more than the Cytech pad found in the ProTeam and Classic shorts.

FWIW, I'd go with a pair of the Classic bibs to start off with, if you like them you can branch out.

Cheers

(I own all three Rapha lines, Assos & lots of other lower end euro branded shorts. I ride about 13 hours per week and the Rapha Pro Team is my own personal favorite).

eBAUMANN
03-23-2015, 08:39 PM
I'll go ahead and endorse the pro team bibs as well, probably the best I've ever worn. Great compression without being restrictive, comfortable chamois, nice Rapha craftsmanship as you'd expect.

rwsaunders
03-23-2015, 08:40 PM
joostxx...I pulled this description of the Salopette-L1-Essential bibs from the Q36.5 site...who the hell wrote this? :cool:

"The original Q36.5 piece and an entirely new feeling in the history of the modern bib short. Ride it sensitively and it will become your teacher."

joosttx
03-23-2015, 08:48 PM
joostxx...I pulled this description of the Salopette-L1-Essential bibs from the Q36.5 site...who the hell wrote this? :cool:

"The original Q36.5 piece and an entirely new feeling in the history of the modern bib short. Ride it sensitively and it will become your teacher."

Probably someone with some big balls (pun intended). I think there is a bit of bravado and lost in translation going on here. Regardless of the hype they are super nice. Interestingly they almost feel like paper.

Louis
03-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Regardless of what was meant in the original (I assume French, since "salopette" is French) it's marketing BS in any language.

joosttx
03-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Regardless of what was meant in the original (I assume French, since "salopette" is French) it's marketing BS in any language.

Sorry for the thread drift.... I think the company is Italian or Swiss as it was founded by the former CEO/head of R&D of Assos.

I think the cheaper rapha bibs do not have the cytech chamois

rwsaunders
03-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the thread drift.... I think the company is Italian or Swiss as it was founded by the former CEO/head of R&D of Assos.

I think the cheaper rapha bibs do not have the cytech chamois

Q36.5 bibs got a great write-up a while back in a couple of bike mags and by the folks at Above Category and I think that you're correct in there is an ex-Assos gent involved. Never a dull moment in the world of bike kit.

pdmtong
03-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Q36.5 bibs got a great write-up a while back in a couple of bike mags and by the folks at Above Category and I think that you're correct in there is an ex-Assos gent involved. Never a dull moment in the world of bike kit.

Of course AC has a great write up - they dropped Assos in favor of Q36.5

joosttx
03-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Of course AC has a great write up - they dropped Assos in favor of Q36.5

Bicycling magazine gave the positive review. AC just featured it on their website as they are the sole American retailer for the brand.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/q365-salopette-l1-essential-bib-shorts

pdmtong
03-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Bicycling magazine gave the positive review. AC just featured it on their website as they are the sole American retailer for the brand.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/q365-salopette-l1-essential-bib-shorts

Didn't chad work with them on some pieces? I'm not a hater but just dont have a bag of money for that last step - got my Rapha classics and pro with coupon codes back when they were cheaper making them easily the best choice versus the usual capo etc

Assos and Q36.5 - will probably never try those ultra high end due to budget

Also I find it funny that I lend more credence to bicycling reviews when I want to like the product but am skeptical if I'm not a fan of the product

joosttx
03-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Didn't chad work with them on some pieces? I'm not a hater but just dont have a bag of money for that last step - got my Rapha classics and pro with coupon codes back when they were cheaper making them easily the best choice versus the usual capo etc

Assos and Q36.5 - will probably never try those ultra high end due to budget

Also I find it funny that I lend more credence to bicycling reviews when I want to like the product but am skeptical if I'm not a fan of the product

It's definitely a luxury item. My point is that they are not all hype and if you want to splurge you will splurge well by buying these bibs.

pdmtong
03-23-2015, 11:13 PM
It's definitely a luxury item. My point is that they are not all hype and if you want to splurge you will splurge well by buying these bibs.

H, I def got that from your post and "knowing" your style. so many high priced things are simply, well, high priced. good to know these things deliver.

Birddog
03-24-2015, 06:03 AM
I've put in more miles in my Rapha Classic bibs than any other brand and it isn't even close. Just ordered a 4th pair to put in rotation. The oldest 2 pair will be relegated to shorter rides and I think they are over 6 yrs old. If cost per mile is a consideration, get the Classics.

commonguy001
03-24-2015, 06:28 AM
Ok so jumping on the bandwagon

I had to retire some really tired Assos bibs last spring. We have a local shop that sells Rapha so I bought a pair of the classics to try out and absolutely loved them. Since then I've replaced all my old bibs with Rapha (when I can get a discount) and absolutely love both the classic and pro team.

Just replaced my 8 year old Assos roubaix Knicks with some 3/4 kicks. The first ride with them was over 100 miles and never thought about them once.

So I don't have any 4 years and going strong stories but I've put a solid 8k miles on wearing them and have noticed no degradation at all.

Climb01742
03-24-2015, 07:41 AM
I haven't tried the Pro Team bibs but I do have 3 pairs of Rapha's Classic bib. I love 'em. Great pad that really makes longer rides more comfy. The fabric has more give to it (less compression) and I like it better than more compressive (is that a word?) bibs. The Classics just work.

MattTuck
03-24-2015, 08:12 AM
I will say this about the classics, they are warm in the sun. I have several other bibs with the UV blocking cold black treatment that are much cooler when it comes to very sunny days.

That is my only knock on the rapha classics, and not really a knock at all. Just be aware of it.

metalheart
03-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Rapha Classics work well for me. Last season I used them a couple times a week for longer rides and others in the rotation for shorter rides (<3hours). The thick pad, comfortable shoulder straps, and the feel of the material in the Classics make them my current favorite bib.

I am always looking for something new and different, so I recently acquired some Assos S5 Milles and so far they seem like they will work for longer rides. I am tempted by the Q36.5 essential bibs (http://www.q36-5.com/q36-5/onlineshop/product/34/) especially given the value of the dollar to euro these days. But, the comfort of the Rapha pad, straps, and fabric seems hard to beat for the riding I do.

personicus
03-25-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm gonna pile on here as well-- I've ridden Assos, Capo, Castelli, etc. etc. bar none, Rapha makes some of the most well thought out and longest lasting kits I've ever owned.

That said, I'd never want them for my race kits-- I'd be heart-broken if I crashed those out.

milkbaby
03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
That said, I'd never want them for my race kits-- I'd be heart-broken if I crashed those out.

Yeah, but they have the free repair service, just send them in and get them back all patched up... :banana:

JWDR
03-26-2015, 03:52 AM
I crashed last weekend at just over 20 mph and thought that I had surely ruined my classic bibs.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac345/WorldDominationRegime/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/4C86F399-3023-416C-A2D7-A27A35EF69AF.jpg (http://s914.photobucket.com/user/WorldDominationRegime/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/4C86F399-3023-416C-A2D7-A27A35EF69AF.jpg.html)
They held up great. I can't find any abraded portions anywhere on the bibs.

verticaldoug
03-26-2015, 04:43 AM
I have a rule of thumb: if my first thoughts after crashing are I ruined my kit, my kit is too expensive.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2015, 05:16 AM
I'm gonna pile on here as well-- I've ridden Assos, Capo, Castelli, etc. etc. bar none, Rapha makes some of the most well thought out and longest lasting kits I've ever owned.

Me also. As a bike shop goon, I have tried pretty much all of them, even some who were gone, came back, left again(Descente) and my Rapha Classic are the very best I have ever worn, period. I also have 3 jerseys now also, 1 new and 2 'preowned' and have to say the same for them..Forza!

oldpotatoe
03-26-2015, 05:17 AM
I crashed last weekend at just over 20 mph and thought that I had surely ruined my classic bibs.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac345/WorldDominationRegime/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/4C86F399-3023-416C-A2D7-A27A35EF69AF.jpg (http://s914.photobucket.com/user/WorldDominationRegime/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/4C86F399-3023-416C-A2D7-A27A35EF69AF.jpg.html)
They held up great. I can't find any abraded portions anywhere on the bibs.

Ya crashed cuz ya gots no laces in yer shoes....

AngryScientist
03-26-2015, 05:33 AM
i think the rapha pro team and classic bibs are the best i've used.

the jerseys are quite stylish, but IMO are nothing too special. they are well made and look good, but are not a cut above other brands in the same way the bibs are. the sizing seems all over the place on jerseys too. the merino blend ones wear much bigger than the lycra stuff. even the "pro team" jerseys fit looser than i would expect of a pro cut race jersey.

JWDR
03-26-2015, 05:37 AM
Ya crashed cuz ya gots no laces in yer shoes....

My Fizik shoes definitely had some road rash after I got up.

Old P I would think you would recognize the flooring inside of a military hospital, everyone I've been in since birth looks the same.