PDA

View Full Version : Novara Italy, Bring my bike???

firerescuefin
03-23-2015, 05:13 PM
I was just told by my boss that I need to be prepared to go to Italy early next week for approximately 2-4 weeks to help a fire department train and prepare for a new mission. Didn't see that coming (nor did my wife who is flying her mom in to help out). Anyway, looking at the area and it appears I will be near Novara.

I am planning on taking my bike. Yes? Thoughts.

Louis
03-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Any rental options nearby? That would be a lot less hassle.

572cv
03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Two weeks to four weeks is more than enough to make the hassle of bringing a bike that fits well along. I know nothing about the riding in the area, but have never been sorry about riding in France or Switzerland on my own bike. Go for it!:banana:

Nags&Ducs
03-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Absolutely bring your bike!! I've not ride that area but heck riding anywhere in Italy can't be bad. Novara looks pretty close to Lombardy and that's supposed to have great riding. Take lots of pics too.

weisan
03-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Italy = Bring Bike

Case closed.

Next question, please.

moose8
03-23-2015, 06:05 PM
i went to Mexico last November and brought a bike and it was probably the highlight of my trip - whenever you have a few hours you can go for a bike ride, which is pretty awesome. I had rented previously but after a very bad injury on a rental due to poor maintenance I really feel more comfortable with my own bike. Bring it and I doubt you'll regret it.

texbike
03-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Italy = Bring Bike

Case closed.

^Bingo! Don't forget the camera! I've always wanted to see where they make those cool bikes that they sell @ REI. ;)

Congrats on the trip!

Texbike

gianni
03-23-2015, 09:25 PM
If you are in novara there are great roads in the pre alpi. Take the small roads near Biella and or ivrea. You could even do a day trip to Como/Lecco or venture farther up beyond ivrea to Valle d' Aosta (hill climb to cervinia). You cannot go wrong.

Pics, please!

firerescuefin
03-23-2015, 09:26 PM
If you are in novara there are great roads in the pre alpi. Take the small roads near Biella and or ivrea. You could even do a day trip to Como/Lecco or venture farther up beyond ivrea to Valle d' Aosta (hill climb to cervinia). You cannot go wrong.

Pics, please!

Thank you....Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear. :)

enr1co
03-23-2015, 10:12 PM
I was just told by my boss that I need to be prepared to go to Italy early next week for approximately 2-4 weeks to help a fire department train and prepare for a new mission. Didn't see that coming (nor did my wife who is flying her mom in to help out). Anyway, looking at the area and it appears I will be near Novara.

I am planning on taking my bike. Yes? Thoughts.

Is this a trick question? ;)

Get that bike packed!:cool:

velotel
03-24-2015, 12:56 AM
You'll be surrounded by great cycling roads. If you don't have your bike, you'll be kicking your butt most every day. With it you'll probably hook up with someone who rides who'll hook you up with more who ride. You'll come back on the plane with your mind totally preoccupied on coming up with arguments for your wife on why you should pack up and move. The best rides you'll do will be on anonymous roads. Buy a good map once you're there and have fun.

Pushgears
03-24-2015, 03:04 AM
I spent 2 weeks in the French Alps last summer. Taking my bike would have been a mistake simply because it isn't geared low enough. I was able to rent a fairly new C'dale from a reputable shop with a triple which was perfect for climbing the passes.

With that said,
- Is your bike properly configured for the terrain you expect to ride?
- Are there rental options in the area?
-Have you considered buying a Break-Away? You could ride it and resell it after the trip for less than the cost of renting?

christian
03-24-2015, 06:00 AM
When you go to a place that a brand of bikes is named for, you should bring a bike. That's my general rule.

RonW87
03-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Just drove through there on the way to ski in Gressoney last week. As mentioned, Novara is close to the Aosta valley. Innumerable stunning valleys to explore in the Italian Alps. Easy to get to Chamonix as well through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

mack
03-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Oh yes! Novara is on the doorstep of cycling nirvana, which, one could argue is the case for most cities in Italy.....Lago Maggore, Orta, Varese, the Swiss border.....some can be ridden to yes, provided you've the time, however, using the transit systems really opens the possibilities. Like someone said; the images you'll create shall be grand...I think I just might tap into some of those old images on my ride today!
yes why don't you tease us with some pictures.
Buon per te!
-mack

MattTuck
03-24-2015, 09:14 AM
When you go to a place that a brand of bikes is named for, you should bring a bike. That's my general rule.

I see what you did there.

MattTuck
03-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Geoff, as for your unexpected work assignment, *WINK*WINK* enjoy.

The timing and location of this "work" trip are quite convenient.... almost too convenient. :hello:

Liv2RideHard
03-24-2015, 12:28 PM
YES. Most definitely bring your bike man. Expect it to cost you $200-$300 to check it each way but it will be worth it. Whenever I do over for work...I assume I will use my per diem to cover it :)

Renting is tricky, unless you know someone on the ground. Milano isn't far but hard to sort it out over the interwebs. Perhaps someone over there that you will be working with has a source?

You will regret it if you don't bring a bike or find one over there prior to leaving.

Enjoy,
Guy

JAllen
03-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Italy = Bring Bike

Case closed.

Next question, please.

Exactly this! I think OP should have gone something like...

"I'm going to Italy for some riding and maybe a little work, if time allows. I'll come back with pics!"