PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite fat(ter) tires

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Compass Barlow Pass (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=4255) Extralights. Smooth-riding and quite capable on dirt roads. If you don't have clearance for 38mm tires, the Stampede Pass (32mm) is an excellent alternative.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8688/16688234287_438727762f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rqFyDn)

--Disclosure: Compass Bicycles provided review samples--

AngryScientist
03-23-2015, 10:04 AM
my new favorites are these available at velo orange. very nice tires in the 28c variety.

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_0007_14.jpg

RedRider
03-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Unless you are riding a full loaded touring bike with racks, isn't a 38mm tire a bit of overkill? Fishing for trout with 50lbs line? An elephant gun on a bird shoot?

onomic
03-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Depends on what you're looking for in the ride quality and your personal preference. If you don' t mind the little extra weight I say why not. Thanks for sharing, I've looked at the 32mm version online but now I think I'm going to give them a try.

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Unless you are riding a full loaded touring bike with racks, isn't a 38mm tire a bit of overkill? Fishing for trout with 50lbs line? An elephant gun on a bird shoot?

I weigh close to 200 pounds. I ride dirt roads. I like the comfort and rim protection afforded by chubby tires.

When I want to go fast (and fast is certainly relative), I ride 32 mm tires (because I can't seem to stay away from dirt and gravel).

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 10:12 AM
my new favorites are these available at velo orange. very nice tires in the 28c variety.

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/530x530/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/s/dsc_0007_14.jpg

I'd be very curious to know how those differ from the 28mm Panaracer Gravelking.

ceolwulf
03-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Depends on the surface. For our very coarse and sometimes deep gravel I have gone from 32mm last year to 40mm. (knobbies) More stability in loose stuff. I do wonder though if situations that require a 38mm wouldn't often also call for something more aggressive than a herringbone tread. But conditions vary so much from region to region it's hard to say. Some people say 25s are fine for gravel, you wouldn't get a hundred meters down the road here some places with 25s, I've tried.

cat6
03-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Obviously the OP's name "GRAVELBIKE" was lost on you. If you're looking for overkill how many power meters have you sold to amateur racers?

RedRider
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM

AngryScientist
03-23-2015, 10:32 AM
I'd be very curious to know how those differ from the 28mm Panaracer Gravelking.

good question. i can only speak to the VO tires which are working very well for me. nice supple ride, and the tread seems to be pretty durable so far.

rpm
I'm curious about how well the extralight casings hold up. I'm having good success with Grand Bois Cypres 32's with the regular casing. I'm thinking that the Compass 32's with the extralight casing might be a nice upgrade.

sparky33

Try them.
They aren't for everybody, but they are quite amazing.

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 10:34 AM
I'm curious about how well the extralight casings hold up. I'm having good success with Grand Bois Cypres 32's with the regular casing. I'm thinking that the Compass 32's with the extralight casing might be a nice upgrade.

Are you riding strictly paved roads? If so, I don't think you'd have any issues.

oldpotatoe
03-23-2015, 10:34 AM

I agree with RR. I saw somebody yesterday on the road with really fat tires and a huge rack on the back, full. I asked him where he was coming from, since i assumed he was touring. He said lived in Boulder, going back to Boulder.

Whatever , if it 'works' for him. I ride dirt roads all the time with 25c Open Paves,
90 psi, .1 offa ton, never pinched flat. Never even flatted.

Wide for wides sake doesn't compute to me. Get too big for some riding conditions dimishing returns, imho.

sparky33
03-23-2015, 10:38 AM

I've gone through several of the extralights in different sizes, and only one tire casing failed before the tread was worn. IMO the risk of sidewall damage is outweighed by the excellent ride quality. The regular version is sturdier but still rides almost as nicely. Choices.

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 10:42 AM
good question. i can only speak to the VO tires which are working very well for me. nice supple ride, and the tread seems to be pretty durable so far.

The FW tread looks very similar to what Panaracer uses on the 23/26/28 Gravelkings. See: http://fairweather.cc/tire

RedRider
03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Obviously the OP's name "GRAVELBIKE" was lost on you. If you're looking for overkill how many power meters have you sold to amateur racers?

I apologize if I offended anyone. I asked the question to start a conversation about tire width for gravel and to understand the personal preferences of some other riders. Many bike manufacturers selling a "gravel bike" do not provide tire clearance for anything over 32mm, if that. I'm wondering what type of bike and fork can accommodate a 38mm tire?

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
I apologize if I offended anyone. I asked the question to start a conversation about tire width for gravel and to understand the personal preferences of some other riders. Many bike manufacturers selling a "gravel bike" do not provide tire clearance for anything over 32mm, if that. I'm wondering what type of bike and fork can accommodate a 38mm tire?
But I guess selling SRMs for kids bikes has put me out of touch...

Salsa Vaya. Clearance for 40+ mm tires. My skinny tire bike is a Black Mountain, and with the deep drop calipers, it'll clear 33 mm tires.

Andreas
03-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Lots of issues with the extralight versions with sidewall rips.
Most my riding is dirt roads in northern new england (we don't have gravel roads here). Getting tears in sidewalls. Regular casing lasts longer.

Relevant info:
Ride a few thousand miles on dirt each year
weigh 145 lbs

not sure what experience the OP has with these, but i don't think one can judge w/o having put a few thousand miles on them

ps: just saw that op got samples of these..., disclosure in forum post would have been appropriate

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Added disclaimer/disclosure.

unterhausen
03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
I've seen a couple failures on the EL casings. One rider I know loved the EL casings, but will not ride them any more. I think they are for EL riders. I'd rather go a little slower and have more robustness in my tires.

I am thinking about going with wider tires on the road this year, because the horrible winter has really ripped up the roads. As far as width goes, I don't think it is that much of a performance loss. Maybe a perceived performance loss.

On gravel, I think about 40mm is ideal. I know some people have roads like the strada bianca, and roads like that will not require anything over a 25mm tire. But around here, anything less than a 30mm tire sinks into the gravel. And riding 30mm tires is asking for pinch flats.

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I've seen a couple failures on the EL casings. One rider I know loved the EL casings, but will not ride them any more. I think they are for EL riders. I'd rather go a little slower and have more robustness in my tires.

I am thinking about going with wider tires on the road this year, because the horrible winter has really ripped up the roads. As far as width goes, I don't think it is that much of a performance loss. Maybe a perceived performance loss.

On gravel, I think about 40mm is ideal. I know some people have roads like the strada bianca, and roads like that will not require anything over a 25mm tire. But around here, anything less than a 30mm tire sinks into the gravel. And riding 30mm tires is asking for pinch flats.

I don't find the standard 32 mm Compass tires to be any slower than the 28 mm tires I was riding (Panaracer, Hutchinson, Schwalbe). The difference in comfort, however, is astonishing. With 25 mm rims and 32 mm tires, broken pavement all but disappears.

guido
03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Stampede Pass. 32s and Hed Belgium+ rims are a special combination...

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Stampede Pass. 32s and Hed Belgium+ rims are a special combination...

Yup. In my case it's their Ardennes Plus LT wheels.

bcgav
03-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Clement X'Plor USH 700X35 120TPI for my all-rounder, and Clement Strada LGG 700X25 120TPI on my road bike for the potholed spring roads here in MA.

mnoble485
03-24-2015, 07:45 AM
I know this has been asked before but..what will fit with an Edge fork and Hed C2 23 rims?

mike

GRAVELBIKE
03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
I know this has been asked before but..what will fit with an Edge fork and Hed C2 23 rims?

mike

Do you currently have the fork? What is the measurement between the blades (inside/inside)?

linkedrecoverie
03-24-2015, 04:38 PM
I had the extra light 38s on my bike for all of last summer (about 1,200 miles). I grew up with 23s and got through a lot of dirt roads on those, but I'm a convert to bigger tires, especially these. Before I built an all-road bike (still meaning to write that post here), I was using cross bikes and cross tires. The Ritchey WCS 34s (most others were 32) were great: high thread count and enough volume (I usually weigh 180, all in). Muds were too skinny, Kenda 35s were not bad at all. The Barlow Pass is just on another level, though. Smooth, fast, and sure. I could keep enough air in the 32s to keep from pinch flatting, but what really makes them go is the ability to run the "right" air pressure. For me, that's around 35 psi up front and a bit more in the back. That's when nothing slows them down and they just hang on to speed. Love 'em. No issues with the casing (though it's rocky here), and the file tread is hardly worn up front.

personicus
03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
atmo, the Resist Nomad in the 28c and 32c sizing are the best gravel grinder / city commuter tire ever.

Cheap, reliable, and supple.

JAllen
03-25-2015, 12:58 AM
I'm wondering what type of bike and fork can accommodate a 38mm tire?

My wife rides a Fyxation Quiver that has clearance for 47mm tires. You can run 38mm with fenders, but she has 35mm on them currently.

sparky33
03-25-2015, 06:56 AM

mike

Edge? The more recent Enve fits a 40mm MSO on Hed rims...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8702651707_a2cf56f2d1_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/eg2na6)Enve Cross fork with Clement X'PLOR MSO (https://flic.kr/p/eg2na6) by stevep33 (https://www.flickr.com/people/27988383@N06/), on Flickr

merckx
03-25-2015, 07:13 AM
I did one ride last fall with a pair of Barlow Pass EL's. They were sublime. I was impressed. After I shelve my Nordic skis, I'm looking forward to pressing them into service again this spring.

personicus
03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Won't fit on older edge forks, at least it didn't fit well on my 1.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalheart
04-10-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm curious about which Compass tire would work for my riding: very rough chip seal rods with lots of cracks and bumpy surfaces, no gravel, just rough roads for 40-60 mile training rides. My rims are DT Swiss RR440 (21mm outer width) clinchers and I weigh 190 and generally have a light riding style. I ride 25mm tires. Conti 4000s, Schwable 1, Michelin Pro4 Service Course. These have all been fine, but I would like to try a wider tire to ease the road bumps. Any ideas?

GRAVELBIKE
04-10-2015, 09:44 AM
If you have clearance for 28mm tires, you might want to look at the Chinook Pass.
http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_comp_700_28.html

bcgav
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
If you have clearance for 28mm tires, you might want to look at the Chinook Pass.
http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_comp_700_28.html

Any opinion on the Clement Strada LGG in 28mm 120tpi? They'd save a little coin over the Compass.

metalheart
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I have the clearance for 28's.

Pastashop
04-10-2015, 10:31 AM
These are all reasonably supple and round, cost less:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-challenge-open-paris-roubaix-folding-tyre/chaltyrf172

Or:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-schwalbe-one-folding-tyre/schwtyrf212

Or:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-vittoria-open-pave-cg-tyre/vitttyrf272

Or:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/t103.htm

(These last have been my faves, but trying to ride more dirt now, so we'll see if a wee bit of tread is called for.)

GRAVELBIKE
04-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Any opinion on the Clement Strada LGG in 28mm 120tpi? They'd save a little coin over the Compass.

I've never ridden them, but know folks that like them.

GRAVELBIKE
04-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I have the clearance for 28's.

Panaracer Paselas are inexpensive, and ride much nicer than their price would indicate. Also consider the Panaracer Gravelking in the 700x28 size. Note that Panaracer makes the Compass tires.

merlinmurph
04-10-2015, 03:46 PM

I guess I'm bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight because I'm using Clement XPLOR MSO 40mm rubber on my IF cross bike. ;-)

Yes, probably a bit of overkill, but I'm lovin' it. If I were younger, I'd have narrower tires - maybe. A lot of my riding on this bike is on stuff that one might call really easy mt biking stuff. Lots of singletrack, some semi-rocky sections, and if there's a dirt road, it probably hasn't seen a car in a very long time. The tires can be kinda slow on the road, but when you're already slow, slow-er doesn't mean much. A fast rider wanting to blast the D2R2 180k ride may not want these, but I love the cushy ride.

As usual, it depends.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

bcgav
04-10-2015, 03:56 PM
I guess I'm bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight because I'm using Clement XPLOR MSO 40mm rubber on my IF cross bike. ;-)

Yes, probably a bit of overkill, but I'm lovin' it. If I were younger, I'd have narrower tires - maybe. A lot of my riding on this bike is on stuff that one might call really easy mt biking stuff. Lots of singletrack, some semi-rocky sections, and if there's a dirt road, it probably hasn't seen a car in a very long time. The tires can be kinda slow on the road, but when you're already slow, slow-er doesn't mean much. A fast rider wanting to blast the D2R2 180k ride may not want these, but I love the cushy ride.

As usual, it depends.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

I rode them (120tpi version) on last year's D2R2 150K and Honey One Hundred. They were ideal, and roll surprisingly fast for what they are.

merckx
04-10-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm curious about which Compass tire would work for my riding: very rough chip seal rods with lots of cracks and bumpy surfaces, no gravel, just rough roads for 40-60 mile training rides. My rims are DT Swiss RR440 (21mm outer width) clinchers and I weigh 190 and generally have a light riding style. I ride 25mm tires. Conti 4000s, Schwable 1, Michelin Pro4 Service Course. These have all been fine, but I would like to try a wider tire to ease the road bumps. Any ideas?

I would also endorse the chinook pass. EL if on the road, standard if on dirt/gravel.

pbarry
04-10-2015, 08:17 PM
I agree with RR. I saw somebody yesterday on the road with really fat tires and a huge rack on the back, full. I asked him where he was coming from, since i assumed he was touring. He said lived in Boulder, going back to Boulder.

Whatever , if it 'works' for him. I ride dirt roads all the time with 25c Open Paves,
90 psi, .1 offa ton, never pinched flat. Never even flatted.

Wide for wides sake doesn't compute to me. Get too big for some riding conditions dimishing returns, imho.

I live just east of Hwy 36, near Neva. The dirt roads around here are in the worst condition they've been in 30 years, mostly due to County equipment working up the canyons, still abating the results from the flooding.. Not riding the Mondonico around here--taking the cx bikes instead. Wider is better sometimes. :beer:

pbarry
04-10-2015, 08:19 PM

As usual, it depends.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

:hello:

ptourkin
04-11-2015, 08:29 AM
RKP just posted a review of Clement and Conti gravel tires: http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/04/coated-in-rubber/

Cornfed
04-11-2015, 11:15 PM

I have them on my Sportif and they ride very smooth and pretty quick on pavement. Haven't tried Compass, so I can't compare, but I can recommend the LGGs.

bcgav
04-12-2015, 06:42 PM
I have them on my Sportif and they ride very smooth and pretty quick on pavement. Haven't tried Compass, so I can't compare, but I can recommend the LGGs.

I was reserving judgement until I got some decent mileage on them (120tpi version). I have 140+ miles on them over the last couple of days, from smooth dry pavement, rough cracked pavement, dirt roads, all both wet and dry. I like them a lot, very smooth and pretty fast, handle well and instill confidence on every surface I've ridden them on so far.

fourflys
04-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Salsa Vaya. Clearance for 40+ mm tires. My skinny tire bike is a Black Mountain, and with the deep drop calipers, it'll clear 33 mm tires.

My Black Mtn monster cross can clear 43mm... I might have to try those Barlows on the monster cross when I get to VA...

What do you run on your BMC Road? I currently ride Clement 28s...

fourflys
04-12-2015, 08:08 PM

Big fan of the Stradas in 28mm/120tpi!

I won't buy another bike that doesn't clear 28s... unless I just can't pass it up! ;)

sw3759
04-13-2015, 12:20 AM
"Big fan of the Stradas in 28mm/120tpi!"

count me as a fan too! been running these the past few months on my Terraplane.so far so good,can't find anything negative to say about them,and after 1k miles show little wear