PDA

View Full Version : Conquering Deamons of the Crash Kind

gwk
03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
I went down last July and broke my collarbone, shoulderblade and some ribs. Since then I have been riding indoors only. I'm having a hard time getting myself to go outside and ride. Maybe it's the memory that I came back in an ambulance and not on my bike. Somehow I have to make myself go out and ride. Any thoughts?

Smiley
03-21-2004, 12:02 PM
and do it right away . I almost killed myself in a T bone crash in a Catamaran race. Next week we duct taped the hole in the Hull and were out racing again. Don't wait so long and jump back on the bike.

Andreu
03-21-2004, 12:46 PM
This is real difficult. I am sorry that you have had this experience. I was lucky in the respect that I fell and didn't break anything (three times now) and got back on straight away (twice cos it was a race and I didn't want to lose wheels). It did hurt about two hours later though when I was showering.

I would try and pick really quiet routes and roads (even driving there if necessary) just to get confidence back or going off road using gentle tracks in the countryside. I am a firm believer that going out with other people is a great motivator too....they will persuade, advise, protect etc. Are you in a club? Join a few guys who take it easy and ease yourself back into the sport.

Good luck!
A

M_A_Martin
03-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Set yourself up for a sucessful first ride.

When I wanted to go out on the bike but didn't want to due to things not going so well before my surgeries, a batch of my freerider buddies offered to go out for a xc ride with me on a local rail trail.
Those guys are hilarious when they aren't on the 35lb frankenbikes they ride (and dang fast too, one of them could probably rip the legs off of most of the roadies I know...if he wanted to). I was laughing my rear off for the whole ride.

Find a few fun friends and go out for an "out of the box" ride. Something fun and not too serious, something you don't ususally do, somewhere without traffic, just to prove to yourself that your bike is still your friend and you're not a total klutz and that everything will be ok.

Worked for me! It wasn't instantaneous, but I'm back to riding on the road a bit.

gt6267a
03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
have you been back to the crash site? last summer i crashed pretty hard. while not for everyone, i went right back there and let myself feel the moment. i was very angry and it was good to let go. if you don't want to ride there, maybe drive over and see how you feel about the place and the accident.

gwk
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks Smiley, Andreu and MA!

It's funny. When I was 19 years old I was flying a small airplane when the engine suddenly quit due to mechanical failure. I had to land it in a plowed field. The field was too rough and the airplane flipped over onto it's back. I wasn't injured at all. I got in another airplane the very next day and flew it. I still fly airplanes today for a living and love it. It's wierd for me to think that I crashed in an airplane and didn't get hurt. Then years later I crash on a little old bicycle (03 Concours) and royally screw myself up.

You're right, I need to do it with friends and make it fun. I'll get out there. Thanks again! George

gwk
03-21-2004, 08:02 PM
gt,

No, I have not been back there. I do feel a need though. I just haven't been able to make myself go there yet.......George

J.M. White
03-21-2004, 08:40 PM
I also broke a collarbone and fractured six ribs last August. (Fortunately my CIII landed on me and didn't suffer a scratch!) I was unable to ride for many months, but about 6 weeks ago, I got back on the bike and went for a short ride (10-12 miles) and passed the scene of my accident. Perhaps it's a bit of G. Gordon Liddy philosophy, but I agree with the other members here who have encouraged you to get back out there ASAP. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

M_A_Martin
03-21-2004, 08:57 PM
I think my freeride/trials buds would be more than happy to volunteer for a trip to Denver.
Thing about them is they fall off of stuff so often. I remember riding along on my little bridgestone cringing whenever one of them would try to ride X (if you've ever ridden with freeriders/trials riders you know they're up for a gap, or a log, or a fence, or or or...) and fall off of X, and they don't go anywhere fast. So there's no pushing the boundaries of speed, Its not like riding your bike anywhere, its more like herding cats...or maybe puppies.

Good luck George!

Ginger

PS. The fact that you're thinking of getting out there is one step closer to actually going.
Pick some understanding friends. Go.

gwk
03-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks Ginger.....sounds like your freeride/trials buds are a hoot. I think I will take my mountain bike out on the flats for some confidence building before I try the road bike. I have my Serotta in my living room where I can see it every day. I keep looking at it knowing that I will be happily riding it soon. I've been using sand on the roads as an excuse, but it's about gone now. Time to ride. Thanks for the encouragement! George

CageyBee....You had quite the ordeal too. Glad to see you are feeling well and back out there. George

PaulE
03-22-2004, 07:36 AM
GWK,

I remember your injuries because I had the same ones about a month before you. The others are right, you need to get back out. Just take it slow and easy and things will come back to you over time. I think you'll find yourself instinctively more aware of what it was that caused your accident, which should also help to protect you. Good luck.

dohearne
03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Having done the backboard ride in the ambulance, I can identify with some of your feelings about getting back on the "horse" that threw you. Three years ago I did a header off my bike and ended up with 8 fused vertebrae. I think what helped me the most is doing something challenging but different first. I went downhill skiing. By the time Spring rolled around, the idea of getting back on the roads was not nearly so scary, although I was tentative on that first ride and I still have a self enforced speed limit. Actually my most tentative moment was getting back on my bike on the trainer...I made sure it was the bike that I went down on. Take your time, do easy terrain outside at first and good luck!

Ginger
03-24-2004, 09:57 AM
I ran into my freeride buddies at an MMBA meeting last night.

They insist on coming to Denver to help you out.

You have room on the couch? If not, the floor will be ok.

They expect your recovery will take at least three months.

Buy lots of beer. :beer:

They'll be bringing the rest of their downhill team.

:p

gwk
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
You're funny Ginger! After three months of :beer: :beer: I'd have to go in for another kind of recovery!! I still haven't made it out on the bike. I'm in Boston. Back to Denver Thursday evening. Maybe this weekend.....
George

Bruce H.
03-24-2004, 02:31 PM
While I did not do too much damage, I broke a pedal on the downstroke in a race and went down on the blacktop instantly. Nothing broken.
It took years to rebuild the confidence to hammer down at the start of a sprint and a long time to get up out of the saddle.
Follow the above advice and get right on again asap
Bruce H.

gt6267a
03-24-2004, 03:08 PM
bruce h -- i had a pedal strip out of a crank on a track bike while out of the saddle and went down on the track. it was a very very sick and wrong feeling. i was pushing hard and then i was down on the track. i was lucky as well and did not break anything. my hip was sore for weeks and the flesh wounds on my right leg took about a month to fully heal.

i got out on the track 2 days later. it hurt, but i did it to make sure there is no phobia or concerns ... sorry to hear you had a similar accident. that is not fun.

BigDaddySmooth
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I think we've all been there...crashing. I've gone down 5X with no real injuries but bumps and bruises. 2x my own fault, once in a group ride and 2x hit by vehicles. Luckily, the vehicle mishaps were all relatively low spped due to panic braking, aviodance measures, etc. What kind of spill did you take to incur such injuries?

SManning
03-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Two years ago I had a really bad crash at a mountain bike race at Fort Custer. I had a bad cut on my face and got hauled out of the woods on a backboard. My left hip still has some numbness. I raced at the same venue the next spring and was a nervous wreck. I had nightmares the night before, cried the morning of and really did not want to go to the race. I made myself pre-register and my husband had to highly encourage me to get into the car. Once we got there, and I pre-rode the course I realized that I could ride the section that I crashed in, and do it well. I also realized that I did a bunch of worrying over nothing. I ended up winning that day. I still get a tad nervous when I ride over bridges or when I have to ride Granny's Garden, but I can do it. You'll find the strength and confidence to get back on the bike again.

gwk
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
BigDaddySmooth

I was on a bike path and in a right turn. I hit a lip in the concrete that I didn't see until I was on it. I went down instantly. I hit head, top of right shoulder, top of right arm just below the elbow, and right knee. Most of the impact was taken by my head (with helmet) and shoulder. I had a Polar 720 on. It took me three months to get enough nerve to download it and see what kind of speed I was doing when I went down. It was only 15.3 mph. I had just crossed a small wood bridge where you have to be going really slow to make two turns. I was accelerating when I went down.

Thanks everybody for your comments and support. I am going to try and get on a bike this weekend. It's time. I think I'll do it with my mountain bike though. George