PDA

View Full Version : STI Reach

dbrk
04-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I rebuilt my carbon Tournesol this past winter. It was refinished with the matte-finish that some will remember from the bike that was shown at Interbike (that bike, btw, is for sale, something like 55x55). Instead of Record I put on new DA10. Hmmm. Today I really noticed that the reach had pretty dramatically changed. Same length stem, saddle in the same spot, and yet the reach is longer. Tape confirms. I swapped out to an 11 and the adjustment is fine but this is certainly now a "fit" issue.

I recall recently the redoubtable Smiley making this point and sunnafagun he is spot on. If for some reason you are as irreligious as I am about bike parts and mix, match, and don't care if you use Shimnalgo or Campagmano, be mindful that the new 10 shifters are further out there than the 9 speed. About 1.5cm, as far as I can tell.

dbrk

Smiley
04-12-2006, 06:40 PM
allow 1 to 1.5 cm of longer reach for Shimano 10 speed brifters against the 9 speed stuff and MORE when your swapping from campy shifters , I'd allow a full 2 cm with a campy change out .

Fitters what do they know :)

bironi
04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Douglas,

I am of the Campy camp, but will jump on a buddy's Shimano rig to compare occasionally. I too have noticed the longer reach of those tall Japanese hoods. I do think Shimano should mount some high intensity head lights on their protruding bumper guards. I am not below a blow below the belt. :beer:

Byron

Chris
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Are you guys mounting them in the same place you mount the others? I am about to "upgrade" to 10 speed and this is a concern. I thought that the new levers were designed to ride higher up on the bars.

dbrk
04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Even if you raise them a bit they are still farther away, as it were. Take our advice: compensate for about 1.5+cm of difference in reach.

dbrk

FierteTi52
04-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I have 3 D/A 9spd bikes and 1 D/A 10spd bike. The D/A 10spd definately has at least a 1cm longer reach.
Jeff

Climb01742
04-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I do think Shimano should mount some high intensity head lights on their protruding bumper guards.

that's necessary, you see. folks who ride shimano actually go fast enough to potentially need bumpers. campy folks just need training wheels.

I"M KIDDING!!! :beer: :D ;) :p :banana: just some early morning funning.

mgm777
04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Not being as astute as dbrk or SMILEY, it only took me about 6 months before I experienced the same eureka moment. I have two same sized bikes with similiar geos. One is outfitted with DA10, the other with DA9. Both have the same cockpit and saddle setups. I measured and remeasured the tubes and angles of both bikes a gazillion times and just could not figure out why I felt just a smidge more stretched out on DA10 bike. To compensate, I R&Rd the stem on the DA9 rig with a 110 (vice 100). It still feels a tad short. Thanks for the validation.

Too Tall
04-14-2006, 06:51 AM
(sigh) Another reason I'll use DA 9 for a few more yrs.

iPaul
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
That was the deciding factor of why I switched to campy. Loved the stuff, but I just couldn't get used the the 10 levers. The 9 speed ones fit my hands much better.