PDA

View Full Version : 1x10 MTB crank recs.

Matthew
03-22-2015, 01:40 PM
I am going 1x10 on my Rigormootis. Looking for crankset info. I have new XT 10 speed rear shifter and derailleur installed and want to run a single up front. Ideally I want to use XT crankarms with a Race face narrow wide chainring but am having trouble finding one for sale. Would the SRAM 1x crank work with this set up? I will use a Shimano 10 speed chain. Or, what are you guys running for your 1x set ups? Mixing brands? Would prefer to use a Shimano BB as well. Or I could possibly pick up a set of XT cranks and do the conversion to a single ring myself. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Matthew

thirdgenbird
03-22-2015, 01:50 PM
SRAM cranks would work, but I'm with you. I would rather use something from shimano (zee/slx/xt), turn or race face.

I say get what you want and add a race face ring.

I use a kmc chain for my 1x10. They work well, they are reasonably priced, come with a quick link and I can stock one chain for my mountain bikes and Campagnolo road bikes.

vqdriver
03-22-2015, 02:25 PM
keep your xt cranks and add a blackspire ring. it'll work great. you would have the option of adding a bashring as well.
depends on which flavor of xt you have but i'm sure they have a ring in your bcd.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/category/83/5948/0/0

bmeryman
03-22-2015, 02:41 PM
I've used XT cranks for my last three MTB 1x setups. Buy the triple, keep the stock chainrings around for whenever you decide to sell or upgrade the crank, and use a RF narrow/wide.

Matthew
03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am interested in the Shimano 1x offerings as well but they seem to be more of a downhill specific crank. Anyone using the Saint or Zee for basic XC riding and racing? If I go with XT arms I assume it's fairly easy to set them up 1x? Thanks!!

fatallightning
03-22-2015, 03:38 PM
You're paying more for the XTs because of the rings. The SLX arms are the same, buy those if you're just flipping the rings off. I'd buy the Raceface Turbine with the dedicated direct mount ring. Lighter, cheaper.

p nut
03-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Love Shimano cranks. Like others said, any 104bcd ring will work. Just need Singlespeed bolts unless you're running a bash guard.

That said, I bought XX1 cranks last year and love them. Super light, stiff and (IMO) looks better (spiderless). Has performed well for me, so wouldn't hesitate to recommend these, either.

thirdgenbird
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am interested in the Shimano 1x offerings as well but they seem to be more of a downhill specific crank. Anyone using the Saint or Zee for basic XC riding and racing? If I go with XT arms I assume it's fairly easy to set them up 1x? Thanks!!

Zee and saint are downhill but I don't see any reason not to use them.

Xt or slx are both easy to set up 1x, just a few bolts.

I'm using a zee rd and shifter on my 1x10 xc bike. Im using the original specilaized triple crank with a single ring mounted in the middle position.

Kirk Pacenti
03-22-2015, 04:45 PM
All 3 of my 1x10 bikes use XT cranks, coupled with a Pacenti 1x chainring.

Fatty
03-22-2015, 09:20 PM
These will pretty up the cranks if just running one ring.
Let you use the stock length bolts.
Race Face makes them, about ten bucks.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDCiNeBEWYj62u1slpcTjy5S7OZ-FXqcFHUCSdoIwPR30Bpar3kQ

d_douglas
03-22-2015, 09:30 PM
I am an idiot mechanic and I converted a new set of SLX to 1x with a Raceface ring - it was very easy.

SLX stuff is also quite nice, in my opinion.

tmf
03-23-2015, 12:45 AM
I run SLX cranks with a single RaceFace ring. They started life as a triple, and one narrow/wide chainring, some single-length bolts and a few minutes is all it took. I also use a KMC 10sp chain. I rode this bike a lot last year without a single issue.

Fatty
03-23-2015, 09:15 AM
You sure could use 9 speed cranks also.
Plenty of them used on the EBay.

p nut
03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
You sure could use 9 speed cranks also.
Plenty of them used on the EBay.

Right, any 104bcd cranks should work. I'd avoid 2x cranks, though. Chainline is better on 3x.

Also, I've been using a BBG Bashguard on my 1x bikes. This negates the need for shorter bolts. Fairly inexpensive and works well.

http://bbgbashguard.com/

Matthew
03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
P nut's suggeston of using a 3x crank has me wondering if those above using XT arms are using 2x or 3x? Is there a big difference? Do you guys believe one is better than the other? I ordered a chainring today so now I just need arms. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks!

Oregonic
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
I'd go with 3X over 2X crank if I were setting up a 1X10. As far as I understand it, the center ring on a Shimano crank gives the most ideal chainline for a 1X setup. Using either the inside or outside on a 2X crank compromises that, though only slightly. Just my thoughts...

Matthew
03-23-2015, 04:56 PM
So if I go with a 3x I would install the ring where the middle ring was previously, correct? Does that leave me with a crank that looks wierd? Anyone got any photos with a 1x installed on a 3x? Thanks again!!

thirdgenbird
03-23-2015, 05:46 PM
not shimano but:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/stumpjumper/454CFE86-3671-4929-BA7D-EC7597AA44C7_zpsccu3n3nb.jpg

As some stated, you can use a bash guard or some spacers to fill in the outside chainring shelf, but it doesn't bother me like this at all.

AJosiahK
03-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Raceface has some great options.

They have always stayed just slightly ahead of the curve, but with a better price point id say

p nut
03-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Raceface has some great options.

I love my XX1's, but if I were buying today, I'd probably check out the RF Next cranks. Either way, spiderless is the only choice for me.

fatallightning
03-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I have the next with dm ring on my bike. Doesn't get lighter. About the same price as xo. I'd do the turbines for the money with a dm ring. They make the arms in cool ano colors too.