PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Bikes Bust in Seattle

CaptStash
03-20-2015, 05:58 PM
The SPD made good and found a cache of stolen bikes, along with nabbing two of the perps. Good on 'em! I think the Bianchi belongs to a buddy of mine!

CaptStash....

Seattle Times Story - Stolen Bikes (http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/seattle-police-recover-dozens-of-stolen-bikes-arrest-2-men-in-sting/)

Photos of the recovered bikes (http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2015/03/19/twitter-tip-leads-detectives-to-seize-dozens-of-bikes-in-craigslist-bust/)

JLP
03-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Yeah, good for them. I think I saw they did another craigslist stolen bust today. I was really surprised because I didn't think they did this sort of thing, so perhaps they are upping their game.

bironi
03-20-2015, 07:36 PM
I have 30 or so bike rims for sale at rock bottom prices. Please don't ask what a bike rim is, I have no idea.

weiwentg
03-21-2015, 12:26 PM
The article describes them as high end. In general, that's not going to resonate with our (highly distorted) definition of high end. But it looks like they stole the bikes off the street. Hope the owners don't have any trouble proving ownership - heck, I hope that people who had lost bikes hear of this!

Similar thing happened in Minneapolis last year. I am not sure how the police got in touch with everyone. This case was home break-ins. Somehow, I don't think they all made it back to their owners, though, and I suspect that happens depressingly often.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/264818421.html

Green10speed
03-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Does anyone have insurance on their bikes? I've heard about but never really looked into it

Cicli
03-26-2015, 04:09 PM
If it is stolen from your home it is most likely covered by home owners insurance.

mktng
03-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Unless all your bikes are claimed for actual value.. Which out greatly increase your premium in most of our cases.. You get standard rate for stolen bikes I think. My home owners plans coverage is 2k. Which can get me.... Nothing. :(

CaptStash
03-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Unless all your bikes are claimed for actual value.. Which out greatly increase your premium in most of our cases.. You get standard rate for stolen bikes I think. My home owners plans coverage is 2k. Which can get me.... Nothing. :(

My son's carbon Raleigh Prestige was stolen from his apartment. It was covered under my hoemowner's policy with USAA and we got more than a fair value for it. They did right by us and then some.

CaptStash....

grawk
03-27-2015, 12:22 AM
USAA is definitely an exception when it comes to insurance companies. I'm so glad I qualify.

cnighbor1
03-27-2015, 02:41 PM
The question is who is buying them
At the junction on Mt. diablo, CA I talk to many cyclist's about their bicycle Never once have I got a fishy reply Must be over 100 inquires by me.
someone must be buying them Have any Paceline members been suspicious of cyclist bicycle and if a stolen bicycle?

josephr
03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
The question is who is buying them
At the junction on Mt. diablo, CA I talk to many cyclist's about their bicycle Never once have I got a fishy reply Must be over 100 inquires by me.
someone must be buying them Have any Paceline members been suspicious of cyclist bicycle and if a stolen bicycle?

I've always thought they're being loaded up in empty shipping containers and taken to the other side of the Pacific Rim.