PDA

View Full Version : OT: finding a programmer

vqdriver
03-20-2015, 05:45 PM
we had commissioned a proprietary software package that was nearing completion and rollout when the programmer we were working with became ill. seriously enough that he was forced into retirement and is unable to complete the job. he did refer me to someone who is helping us limp to the finish line, but it looks like i'll need someone else for long term support, changes, updates, etc...

so how do people find and hire programmers that do contract work? ideally it would be a company instead of a single person so that i'm not totally reliant on an individual. i'm in los angeles if that helps.

MattTuck
03-20-2015, 06:08 PM
What type of programmer?

https://www.odesk.com

My experience with hiring in person developers for custom projects seems much worse than the stories I've heard of people using odesk or similar.

vqdriver
03-20-2015, 06:14 PM
ooh. that looks promising. imma check it out.

fkelly
03-21-2015, 07:40 AM
Get the retired (ill) programmer or someone he recommends as being technically competent to interview (while you sit in) any candidates. Have interview rehearsals.

Ask detailed technical questions to make sure he/she knows his stuff. Assuming the person is going to be writing and maintaining code it is completely appropriate to show him a block of carefully chosen code and ask him to interpret it.

Don't trust a resume either on educational credentials or work experience. Find out what else the candidates are working on and double check that they can commit to you project for the amount of work you need done.

Verify, don't trust.