PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Destin, FL

TBLS
03-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Will be in Destin, FL the week after Easter sunday....would appreciate any feedback on riding (road or MTB) so I can determine if it will be worthwhile in taking my bike (s)

Thanks

Tim

pale scotsman
03-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Your road bike is the best bet. Robin's Bikes & Fitness, (850) 269-2453, has rides on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday if I remember correctly. There are a few bike paths but they are chock full of rollerblades, cruisers, and runners so getting up to speed is a problem.

Also be aware that traffic is heavy and the majority are on vacation just like you so they'll be looking at the scenery not the road.

Destin is a beautiful place to visit and there is even a decent atb path through a state park closer to Grayton Beach, where we go once a year. Palmettos and lizards everywhere. Robin is a good guy and a serious rider, we worked together while I was finishing school. Don't be afraid to ride with the group since they'll state a pace and stick to it. He's real good about that. Please tell him Ian said "hi" if you see him.

Have fun!

sharky
03-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I was up there last fall and had a great ride on a Sunday with the local bike club. I think it was the Emerald Coast Cyclists. great group of friendly riders of all types. We went along the coast for about 40 miles of scenic riding. Try looking on the net under Fl bike clubs.

glaucman
03-22-2004, 07:08 AM
My family and I go to the Destin area several times each year. Pale Scotsman is correct in recommending the rides with Robin, owner of Robin's Bikes and Fitness on Hwy 98. There is a Tue/Thur morning ride from his lbs at 7:30am that runs about 35 miles at a pace of 18-20mph. There is usually a group of around 5 to 8 riders. His weekend ride is on Sundays from Ed Walline Park on Hwy 30-A. This is usually well attended for a distance of about 55 miles at the same pace. It begins at 8:00am. You can call Robin at 850.269.2453 he is very helpful if you have questions. I will be there from 27 March to 4 April. Here is the website for Emerald Coast Cyclist : http://members.cox.net/polarman/index.htm

Tell Robin that Henry from Collierville, TN gives his regards.

dohearne
03-22-2004, 06:18 PM
If you don't mind driving, I would recommend Santa Rosa Island just west of Ft. Walton Beach. You can access it via the Navarre Beach bridge and from there can bike to Ft. Pickens (where Geronimo was held as a prisoner). Much of the ride would be in an area of undeveloped National Sea Shore. Flat as a pancake, but will have wind either out or back. The Destin area east is beautiful but subject to heavy traffic. Destin is a great example of uncontrolled development and how a great place becomes strip malled!