PDA

View Full Version : did we know there was a design babe behind Acura NSX?

eddief
03-20-2015, 04:52 PM
I use the term only in a flattering and non-sexist way.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-nsx-designer-michelle-christensen-on-the-influence-of-nature-and-the-67-chevelle/

Apparently she was also the designer of the ZDX which looked fine but got less than stellar overall reviews.

don'TreadOnMe
03-20-2015, 05:18 PM
'Design Babe'? Ok. Whatever.

“My favorite car is the ’67 Chevelle. It’s simple, beautiful, and timeless.”
Cool w/me.

Nice article-heads-up, thanks eddief.

Cicli
03-20-2015, 05:20 PM
I didnt even know there was an accura nsx so, no.

Hawker
03-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Looks Babe-ish to me.

bicycletricycle
03-20-2015, 06:55 PM
i think that car is ugly, but i also think almost all new cars are ugly....

93legendti
03-20-2015, 07:10 PM
What do her looks have to do with the design of the car?

Tony T
03-20-2015, 07:17 PM
"My favorite car is the ’67 Chevelle. It’s simple, beautiful, and timeless.”

Yes, it is….

http://chevellestuff.net/1967/chevelle/gallery/a2.jpg

gasman
03-20-2015, 07:20 PM
What do her looks have to do with the design of the car?

Nothing in my view. The article is relevant to me only because she is the first woman to head the design team of a supercar, well maybe not a supercar but a dang nice car. I like the design but I like the design of a lot of high end cars.

The 1st generation NSX was a total blast to drive. I spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of one. I bet the new one is even better.

gasman
03-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Yes, it is….

I agree

93legendti
03-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Nothing in my view. The article is relevant to me only because she is the first woman to head the design team of a supercar, well maybe not a supercar but a dang nice car. I like the design but I like the design of a lot of high end cars.

The 1st generation NSX was a total blast to drive. I spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of one. I bet the new one is even better.

I agree.

bcroslin
03-20-2015, 08:34 PM
non-sexist way.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/a5/a5b1fa2e840b8b6934d42939d4f7ed6255a9d949072088b1a0 5be1dcc1f86d0f.jpg

IJWS
03-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Not surprised at all. Art Center is like the Harvard of automotive design...if Harvard was a good school. That said, I have two complaints. One: I don't like the architecture to cars reference in the first place, and I hate that this young, obviously talented designer is getting lumped in with Zaha Hadid (because I guess, they're both females?). Cars are 100x more difficult than buildings. Less surface area, more concentration, and EVERYONE is an expert on what a car should look like. My second objection? Neither the article nor the op give any sort of contact information for Ms. Christensen. (kidding of course)

eddief
03-20-2015, 11:25 PM
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/michelle-christensen/4/815/244

IJWS
03-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Ha! Be careful what you ask for!!!

jds108
03-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Nothing against the designer, but that car is not going to be a success. It just doesn't evoke the level of emotion that Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, et al...

verticaldoug
03-21-2015, 05:44 AM
Not surprised at all. Art Center is like the Harvard of automotive design...if Harvard was a good school. That said, I have two complaints. One: I don't like the architecture to cars reference in the first place, and I hate that this young, obviously talented designer is getting lumped in with Zaha Hadid (because I guess, they're both females?). Cars are 100x more difficult than buildings. Less surface area, more concentration, and EVERYONE is an expert on what a car should look like. My second objection? Neither the article nor the op give any sort of contact information for Ms. Christensen. (kidding of course)

Funny.

The face is ugly (i guess trying to morph the acura grill on to it) and way too busy. If anything, it looks like the Audi R8 with an acura grill slapped on.

Stephen2014
03-21-2015, 07:10 AM
There is a milf behind the Velo saddle company.

(Said in a joking way)

Tony T
03-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Cars are 100x more difficult than buildings. Less surface area, more concentration, and EVERYONE is an expert on what a car should look like.

Is that why almost all modern cars look like crap?
(I'll take the design of the `67 Chevelle over almost any new American car)

soulspinner
03-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Yes, it is….

Cousin had a stroked 396 Chevelle, unbelievable power.........

d_douglas
03-21-2015, 08:38 AM
When living in Geneva, I became friends with a watch designer who started his career designing cars. He went to the same school as this woman (though he was Swiss)

I don't really dig cars, but I asked him about what he had to know about the performance of the car and he said basically, "nothing" - just design a pretty form, argue it out with the mech engineers and that was it. I was shocked by how non-integrated it was.

Interesting field.

Ti Designs
03-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Art Center is like the Harvard of automotive design...if Harvard was a good school.

Do they have a cycling team?

leftyfreak
03-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Do they have a cycling team?

Is it a good cycling team?

rodcad
03-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Nothing against the designer, but that car is not going to be a success. It just doesn't evoke the level of emotion that Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, et al...

Maybe not as classically cool, but if it runs even remotely like a normal Honda it'll be way cheaper to keep running.......I've seen older NSX's and they are pretty darn nice looking. My orthopedic surgeon has a Nissan GTR which for around 100k will outperform most anything.

FastforaSlowGuy
03-21-2015, 08:43 PM

That's the same thing people said when Nissan launched Godzilla (no pun intended). Is it a 458? No. Is it an absolute monster, and a blast to drive? Um, yeah. And I see a lot more of those motoring around than I do Lambo or Ferrari. (Porsche still trumps the numbers game, among those you listed.)

I haven't seen pricing on the NSX, but I'd guess it's less than the $350K you'd need to bring home a Ferrari/Lambo.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2015, 06:08 AM
That's the same thing people said when Nissan launched Godzilla (no pun intended). Is it a 458? No. Is it an absolute monster, and a blast to drive? Um, yeah. And I see a lot more of those motoring around than I do Lambo or Ferrari. (Porsche still trumps the numbers game, among those you listed.)

I haven't seen pricing on the NSX, but I'd guess it's less than the $350K you'd need to bring home a Ferrari/Lambo.

Might have something to do with numbers seen.

Be in any NSX..pull up next to any of this or Lamborgini and ...I donno, I think I'd take the Lambo or Ferrari-gotta pay to play.

rodcad
03-22-2015, 06:36 AM
The NSX will be around $150K. The Nissan GTR is just over $100k. Yep they're no Lambo or Ferrari, but they will have similar performance for far less money and I'm sure will be way more reliable. Not a whole lot different than bikes. A big name $4k frame (probably) isn't going to perform any better than a $2k frame, you're just buying status, IMHO :)

oldpotatoe
03-22-2015, 06:50 AM
The NSX will be around $150K. The Nissan GTR is just over $100k. Yep they're no Lambo or Ferrari, but they will have similar performance for far less money and I'm sure will be way more reliable. Not a whole lot different than bikes. A big name $4k frame (probably) isn't going to perform any better than a $2k frame, you're just buying status, IMHO :)

Oh sure..will a hondakawasakisuzukiyamaha sport bike perform and be reliable? You bet...but I'll take Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, even Guzzi, thanks.

clyde the point
03-22-2015, 08:17 AM
"Horsey"

FlashUNC
03-22-2015, 08:24 AM

The latest GTRs have a reputation for transmissions made of glass.

And given the engine/tranny are a combined unit built in a hermetically sealed environment, they ain't cheap to fix.

Cicli
03-22-2015, 08:31 AM
I agree, any Accura cant even hold a candle to a Ferrari, Benz, Lamborghini or the such. They just dont have the pedigree.

fuzzalow
03-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I agree, any Accura cant even hold a candle to a Ferrari, Benz, Lamborghini or the such. They just dont have the pedigree.

Pedigree? I don't think there is any lack of pedigree in any Honda product. Honda, of any of The Big 4 Japanese auto manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi) have a racing culture dating back to the early 1960's with John Surtees driving Honda's F1 racecar. Sochiro Honda was a racer.

Might have something to do with numbers seen.

Be in any NSX..pull up next to any of this or Lamborgini and ...I donno, I think I'd take the Lambo or Ferrari-gotta pay to play.

My old riding loops would occasionally come across the Enzo on the roadway. The top-line supercar entry was, as you might expect, much more polite and toned down in the engine note than the sports car Ferraris. None of that F1 engine high pitched wail - more neck-pickup Les Paul than bridge-pickup Stratocaster. Beautiful machine.

FlashUNC
03-22-2015, 09:24 AM

So development of the original NSX with input from arguably the greatest F1 driver ever doesn't count?

malcolm
03-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Not to pick on you because I agree with most of your statement, but the status thing. Sure some are bought just because they can, but it seems like any time luxury items come up that statement comes out. Like anytime someone has something you can't afford it because they are buying status. I've know 3 people personally with ferraris and none were status items. They were dyed in the wool car fanatics that were thrilled they were able to own them and drove them.
Also cars are more than just performance numbers. It's history, the aura, the look and lets face it nothing sounds like a ferrari or a lambo. Anyone that loves cars should at least rent a 12cylinder ferrari for a day.

As to the original topic to show my stereotypic thought process I can't think of a car that I would less think a woman would like than a '67 chevelle so kudos to her for straightening me up. I've owned a couple '67 chevelles both big and small block including a 482 stroker drag car that begin it's life as an early '70s chevelle 454 that we raced in proET2 back in the late '70s early '80s. They were great cars but even among the muscle car guys back then it was a core group that liked them with most coveting, vettes, camaros and even the nova over the chevelle. It was kinda a hold over from the early family sedan with the hot engine as a muscle car days. Great car though and a blast to do the 1/4 mile in.

Cicli
03-22-2015, 10:01 AM
So development of the original NSX with input from arguably the greatest F1 driver ever doesn't count?

No, its still not a Ferrari. For Ferrari, racing is a business, not a side job.

FlashUNC
03-22-2015, 10:09 AM
No, its still not a Ferrari. For Ferrari, racing is a business, not a side job.

If 2014 was any guide, Ferrari was rather bad at business then with their F1 performance.