PDA

View Full Version : Helmet recs?

dolface
03-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Got a little overenthusiastic on last night's ride and now I need a new helmet.

I was planning on just getting another Atmos but figured I should ask to see if I should consider alternatives.

Primary use is XC /CX rides and it needs to be able to have a light mounted on it.

Are there other brands/models I should be looking at?

carpediemracing
03-20-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't know how the Atmos fit you but I hope you normally wear the helmet much lower on your forehead and it just got pushed back because you hit it so hard.

Also glad you're okay.

Cicli
03-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Jeebus, what happened to your ears?

dolface
03-20-2015, 03:55 PM
carpediemracing nice catch, I pushed it back so I could get a better picture of the scrapes, it sits much lower when in use.

Tihsepa, tragic accident involving my brother, some aggressive Canada geese and a mis-labeled ammo locker. I don't like to talk about it.

Dead Man
03-20-2015, 03:59 PM
What's wrong with your current Atmos?

vqdriver
03-20-2015, 04:06 PM
well first of all, if you landed headfirst and the worst are the injuries shown then you were lucky. especially so if you were riding at night, which i'd guess due to the lights

as far as helmets are concerned, there's a million opinions but obviously nothing other than fit really 'matters'. giro never fit me right but if you like it then try out their new offerings. specialized seems to fit my head best. you might consider the newer mips helmets out here too.

dolface
03-20-2015, 04:10 PM
It cracked when I went down (my head hit a log and then bounced along the ground for a bit).

dolface
03-20-2015, 04:15 PM
I did land head-first and yes, I was very lucky not to be in worse shape.

Thanks for mentioning MIPS, didn't realize GIRO was making any but looks like the Sonnet and the Savant might fit the bill for my use-case.

well first of all, if you landed headfirst and the worst are the injuries shown then you were lucky. especially so if you were riding at night, which i'd guess due to the lights

as far as helmets are concerned, there's a million opinions but obviously nothing other than fit really 'matters'. giro never fit me right but if you like it then try out their new offerings. specialized seems to fit my head best. you might consider the newer mips helmets out here too.

Idris Icabod
03-20-2015, 04:59 PM
I use the Giro Xar on my mountain bike, it feels like it gives way better coverage than my road helmets. Not sure it would help you with your face plant but on the bright side the scrape you got front and center is heart shaped.

I crashed on a night ride in early January and broke ribs and collar bone but only a small scratch on my ear, but didn't face plant I don't think. Bought a new Xar though just in case.

carpediemracing
03-20-2015, 06:19 PM
carpediemracing nice catch, I pushed it back so I could get a better picture of the scrapes, it sits much lower when in use.

A good friend of mine just hit the deck hard. He really scraped up his head, he had his helmet on right but it definitely moved around a bit in the crash.

I recently asked the shop about MIPS helmets, for me and for my kid (he's only 3 right now).

In terms of fit I always thought the Giros and Specializeds fit me well until I tried on a Bell. I'm on my 2nd Bell, the 1st is still fine just a bit beat up from travel/etc. It fits like a baseball cap, not like a helmet. I had no idea the fit could be so different. I bought one Bell (a commuter one) and it doesn't fit the same, so it's just the arg my memory is like a sieve I have to Google what helmets I own. Grrr.

I have a Gage, Volt, and a Muni. The Muni fits differently and smaller than the Gage and Volt, which are so similar I can't tell which one is which once I put them on.

kppolich
03-20-2015, 09:56 PM
I've always ridden an Atmos. Love the look and venting. Obviously your head is okay (relatively speaking) so why not stick with what works?

Veloo
03-21-2015, 06:07 AM
I like my:
Bell Volt
Las Victory
Lazer Genesis

Never owned a Giro but when I tried them on, didn't think they fit any better than the ones I had and I didn't like the locking system they had before they implemented the dial in the back.

Tried on the Kask Mojito in the store and it fit really nicely but it's pretty pricey.

OtayBW
03-21-2015, 06:07 AM
In terms of fit I always thought the Giros and Specializeds fit me well until I tried on a Bell. I'm on my 2nd Bell, the 1st is still fine just a bit beat up from travel/etc. It fits like a baseball cap, not like a helmet. I had no idea the fit could be so different.Interesting description. I always liked the fit of Bells as well - still do - until I tried a Rudi Project and then was surprised at how well they fit me. Different knoggins...

dekindy
03-21-2015, 06:14 AM
Did you go through a concussion protocol?

djg21
03-21-2015, 07:40 AM
I've always ridden an Atmos. Love the look and venting. Obviously your head is okay (relatively speaking) so why not stick with what works?

http://www.giro.com/us_en/cycling-faqs/

If your Giro helmet has been involved in an accident, you may be eligible for a discount on a new Giro replacement helmet.

To learn if your helmet qualifies, please email us at giro-consumersupport@giro.com with the below information:

· Picture(s) of the damaged Giro helmet
· Giro helmet model and serial number
· Giro helmet size and color
· Giro helmet manufacture date
· Your full name
· Your phone number
· Your shipping address

dolface
03-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Sweet! Never even occurred to me that might be an option. Thank you!

http://www.giro.com/us_en/cycling-faqs/

If your Giro helmet has been involved in an accident, you may be eligible for a discount on a new Giro replacement helmet.

To learn if your helmet qualifies, please email us at giro-consumersupport@giro.com with the below information:

· Picture(s) of the damaged Giro helmet
· Giro helmet model and serial number
· Giro helmet size and color
· Giro helmet manufacture date
· Your full name
· Your phone number
· Your shipping address

commonguy001
03-21-2015, 04:49 PM
As someone who loves the Aeon I just picked up a POC MIPS road helmet and really like it. Huge vents and super comfortable and apparently even more safe. It only comes in really bright white (what I have) and bright orange which I could deal with but I like the white a lot.

rgr111
03-21-2015, 04:54 PM
In my experience, folks either have Giro-shaped heads or Bell-shaped heads. If you liked the Atmost then I say stick with Giro. I like my Fathom.

dolface
03-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Just following up on this, Giro hooked me up w/ a 30% discount on a replacement.

Nice service!

personicus
03-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Round head - Catlike Whisper
Oval head - Specilized Evade