PDA

View Full Version : DT R460 Rim report

Black Dog
03-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Ok, I just finished building up a set of wheels with the new DT R460 rims (their offering in the 23mm wide rim world). 32 Hole, 3 cross front and rear on Silver Sapim Race spokes on Black Campy Record Hubs. The rims are, indeed, made in China and not Switzerland; at ~$40 bucks a rim this comes as no surprise. They are sleeved and not welded and the joint is not perfect but good enough. The spoke holes were mostly de-burred but I had to fish out some shavings.

To the build. They did not build up as easy as Hed C2, Pacenti SL23, or H-Plus Son (Archetype & TB-14) rims, which have always required very little truing after lacing and initial tensioning. This was an issue when trying to get even spoke tension with the DT R460's. However, they did respond well to truing, I did not have to fight the rim, it was compliant. As for perfect they are not. There is some variation (run-out) in the the width of the rim that you would not get with a HED, Pacenti, or H-Plus Son rim. That said, I was able to get them within .25mm side to side and up and down. However, it took a lot more truing cycles than I am used to after 25 years of building wheels and the tension was not perfectly even, but within a range that I am happy with in order to get a near perfectly true wheel.

I feel that I got what I paid for and the true test will come on the road. They will not be treated gently and I will post again after I run them hard.

Mr_Gimby
07-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead as I am curious about these rims for some budget training/winter wheels.

Have you ridden them un-gently as promised? What was the verdict? Much maintenance truing needed over time?