PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size?

drewjensen
04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
First time poster here – read the forum daily and learn something most every day. I’m a few weeks away from getting a Rivendell Atlantis that I got mostly as a road bike. I test rode the Rambouillet, too, which might have been closer to my goals, but the Atlantis just road much more comfortably and seemed more flexible if I wanted to do dirt trails, too, at some point. I’m 6’4” 225, and this is my first bike in about 15 years. Looking to get back into cycling....

So.....can you recommend a good tire? I’m just not sure how wide to go. I don’t know if I would be too big for Roly Polys (27?) or should I be in the 30 or 32 range? 35 even (though that seems a bit wide)? What about a good tire maker? Any advice is appreciated advice. Thanks in advance.

spiderlake
04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
ask dirt (dirtdigger88) about his ruffy tuffy's - he seems to love them and IIRC, he is about your height and maybe weight.

EDIT: You may also want to check this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16486

dbrk
04-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Well an Atlantis can take ANY size road tire all the way up to one of those Schwalbe Big big big Apples---very cool. For more road riding there is no better tire than a RolyPoly. If you want more and cushier than I warmly recommend the Avocet 32 or 35. The Avocet 28 is also just slightly wider than the RP/RT and also a great tire. Any LBS can get these from QBP or try Harris Cyclery on line. For some huge Schwalbes have a look at what Bill Laine offers at wallbike.com

dbrk

Peter P.
04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I suggest you start with the widest road tire that will fit, probably a 26x2.0 slick or lightly treaded tire. Here's why:

You're a big guy-really big. You're just looking to get back into shape, you're not interested in speed, like racing speed. With your weight, you'll probably wear out the tire in a reasonable period of time. Then rotate the front to the back and experiment with the NEXT narrowest size on the front. Repeat until you evolve to a width you are satisfied with.

My logic is, if you try to start with the "unknown" narrowest tire you think you can ride, your wheels may suffer an early demise. The great thing is tires wear out, which gives you a built in goal-"I MUST ride more to wear out the tire I have so can try something skinnier..."

For tires, I'd recommend the Panaracer Pasela series or the Avocet Cross II. I think the Cross II is real trick due to the inverted tread-it will roll like a slick on the road yet it still has some "tread" for bite.

Find your tire size and pick your width.

dbrk
04-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I suggest you start with the widest road tire that will fit, probably a 26x2.0 slick or lightly treaded tire. For tires, I'd recommend the Panaracer Pasela series or the Avocet Cross II. I think the Cross II is real trick due to the inverted tread-it will roll like a slick on the road yet it still has some "tread" for bite.

Find your tire size and pick your width.

Just to be clear, you will of course need a 700c tire so that no 26" will fit. The Avocet Cross II is a 700c tire and a fine one, with it's inverted tread. The new Paselas are better than the old because the center tread is not so high and the tire is rounder than ever but I still think the Avocet Dura Plus is far better.

dbrk

shaq-d
04-12-2006, 09:48 PM
F I’m 6’4” 225, and this is my first bike in about 15 years. Looking to get back into cycling....

So.....can you recommend a good tire? I’m just not sure how wide to go. I don’t know if I would be too big for Roly Polys (27?) or should I be in the 30 or 32 range? 35 even (though that seems a bit wide)? What about a good tire maker? Any advice is appreciated advice. Thanks in advance.

hey, enjoy your new bike.. good times ahead!! if you're asking what tire would work with your weight, it should be said that 23mm tires are fine; i use'm. the biggest tire i use is 28mm. if u're asking what u SHOULD use, that's totally a personal thing. i suggest buying a pair of 32s and 23s and compare, and go from there. more comfy=bigger, more road buzz and racy feel=smaller.

i weight 225, 6'2...

sd