PDA

View Full Version : Lake CX401

tjk23
03-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Anyone here have experience with this shoe? Still looking for a replacement for my old Sworks. Looking at these and Sidis.

katematt
03-19-2015, 09:22 AM
So I bought a used pair here not too long ago and have been using them on the trainer this winter. I have not molded them yet, and they were molded by the previous owner, so I am sure after molding they will be even better. The molding effects on the back half of the shoe but it more about getting it snug rather than effecting the foot-bed as far as I know.

Very snug feeling and almost feel like a cast as the wrap around the back of the foot and heel area. The toe box is little more roomy but is more side to side as opposed to up and down. Once I get a chance I'll mold them up but even without that I really like them a lot.

For comparison purposes I ride shimano 44 sidi 43.5 and specialized 43.5. Not sure if I like them as much as my s-works, but after molding I am sure I will. The Lakes are a nice shoe.

Here is a description in sizing from the guy I bought them.

I've never worn the newer Fizik shoes but have worn Shimano and Sidi. I wear a 43.5 in Shimano (R315) and get blisters from Sidi. I've tried a Spec (SWORKS) in 44. The Lake are very similar to Shimano. Length is between a Shimano 43.5 and 44. Width feels the same as Shimano, but the molding gives it a totally different feel. So the dimensions are only half the story.

Hope that helps!!

tlittlefield
03-19-2015, 10:08 AM
I just bought the 331's, single BOA as compared to the two on the 401's.

Have not ridden with them yet (still two feet of snow here) but have molded them and love the fit. Plus they are reasonably light, full carbon sole and are very well made.

The best part is that they were on sale for $189, usually $380 (-;

Ralph
03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
I just bought a pair of Specialized Experts. Single BOA. I pronate badly, so appreciate the built in arch support in Specialized shoes, and also appreciate the Specialized matching arch support insole I bought for high arches. That combination took the wobble out of my right knee (where I pronate more than the left) Couldn't be happier. Feet are so personal.

This shoe may not be fancy enough for some.

tjk23
03-19-2015, 10:44 AM
I've tried the new Sworks and the Expert model from Specialized with no luck. They have changed something in their sizing and I just can't get a comfortable fit. I really like the Lake CX401 just wondering about durability. The new Sidi Kaos looks good,too, but I've never tried any of their shoes on for sizing.

tjk23
03-19-2015, 10:46 AM
For what it's worth I preferred the Specialized Expert over the S works. They fit better just not great.

Likes2ridefar
03-19-2015, 11:01 AM
they are my favorite shoe I've used. very comfortable.

DRZRM
03-19-2015, 02:28 PM
I've been on the Speedplay version of these for a few years now, and have a backup pair in my closet for when they go out of production. I really like this shoe. I rode Sidi for a long time previously (non Speedplay drilling) which also fit well. I went down a size (48 Sidi to 47 Lake) and had them heated and shaped by Belmont Wheelworks. The fit is amazing, they did a great job with the heel shaping. I get zero lift, and frankly, I think they would stay on if the Boa broke off. I also like how little stack height there is (though I'm sure that would be equally true with the Sidi drilled for Speedplay). Obviously it is all about how they fit your foot, but if it fits well, these are great shoes.

Steve530
03-19-2015, 08:20 PM
I've been using a pair of 331s since last summer. They are stiff and fit well.

I ordered the shoes online and was uncertain of the fit. I found this size chart (http://www.lakecycling.com/sizing-chart/size-chart/). I emailed Lake and they confirmed that the length and width are the measurements of the largest foot that the shoe is supposed to fit (not measurement of the sole). So you can trace the outline of you foot and compare the maximum width and length to the table to select the size.

tjk23
03-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Okay, so I went out this weekend and tried on several shoes; Sidi Wires, Giro Factors, Shimano R321, Specialized S-works (again) and Lake CX237. I like the fit of the Lakes and Sidis the best, the Sidi is glove like and the Lake has more room in the toe box. The Lakes I really like the look of are the 401 and 402 but neither were available to try on. I can't justify spending $500 on the CX402 but have found the CX401 on ebay new for around $250.
So with all that said...I am down to the Sidi Wire (I can get around $350 and I have tried on) or the Lake CX401 ($250 and have not tried on). Are the Sidi worth the money? Pros and cons would be appreciated. The only fit issue is not having tried on the 401 just hoping it fits like the 237 (seller with no return policy on ebay).
Thanks in advance.

rnhood
03-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Never buy a shoe without a return policy. Contact Lake if you have questions.

ctam
03-22-2015, 09:39 AM
What size are you looking for? If it's size 47 with speedplay sole that's my listing.

tjk23
03-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Why are you selling the Sidis?

ctam
03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
You mean why am I selling the lakes? It's because I changed to shimano pedals and the lakes have speedplay soles.

tjk23
03-22-2015, 05:40 PM
The listing I was looking at are size 42.5. I would buy them if there was a return policy for them. I really liked the way the 237 felt except for the way it comes over the top of the foot.
Are you staying with Lakes are going to another brand?

Charles M
03-22-2015, 06:38 PM
My Review here (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-spec/foot-joey-lake-cx-401-and-cx236-shoes/)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/lake/11lake.jpg

I have the 402 now and I like em a bit more for the closure.

The thing is, you maye have to mold em more than once, but get it right and they're GREAT shoes...

tjk23
03-22-2015, 06:46 PM
How durable are the 401s. One of the reasons I am leaning toward the Sidi is because everyone talks about them lasting for years. Do you have a picture of the shoes after a couple years of use?

jmoore
09-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Thread dredge!

I gotta get some new shoes with wider toe boxes. Am still hesitant to pull the trigger on something I can't try on. Nothing local fits and I've tried them all.

CC has the 401's for $245 and the 237's for $280. I need a push over the cliff.

Muffin Man
09-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Thread dredge!

I gotta get some new shoes with wider toe boxes. Am still hesitant to pull the trigger on something I can't try on. Nothing local fits and I've tried them all.

CC has the 401's for $245 and the 237's for $280. I need a push over the cliff.

I have the 237 in wide, and these are the only shoes that I've tried that are wide enough for me. I wore 44.5 wide with my Bont A2, but they were too narrow, but my Lake's are 43.5 wide, and fit way better.

OtayBW
09-25-2015, 02:38 PM
I also just bought the Lake CX237s with the carbon fiber moldable insoles. They fit great right out of the gate. Nice wide toe box, similar in fit and feel to my old Specialized shoes. Little to no break-in required. Rode a century on the first ride (well, I did a very short test ride the day before) with no problem. AFAIK, really nice shoe and outstanding value. Colo Cyclist had them on sale for $238 recently - don't know about now.

Neves
09-25-2015, 04:13 PM
They are back up to $280 at Colorado Cyclist. I'm returning a size 48 that was a tad big for me. For reference I'm riding a Sworks size 48 with the single boa. My feet are swimming in the Lakes.

OtayBW
09-26-2015, 06:33 AM
They are back up to $280 at Colorado Cyclist. I'm returning a size 48 that was a tad big for me. For reference I'm riding a Sworks size 48 with the single boa. My feet are swimming in the Lakes.
I didn't mean to imply that the Lakes were the same size as my Specialized or Sidis for that matter. However, I used the Lake sizing chart carefully and the suggested size was as good a fit right out of the box as I've ever had....

gianni
09-26-2015, 01:02 PM
I just bought a pair and transitioned from sworks that I have ridden various pairs over 5 years.

I love the lakes. The shape is a little flatter but overall I'm very happy and would not go back to sworks. I have yet to cook the shoes but will mold soon. For sizing they are similar. I'm a 42.5 in sworks and 43 in the lake with a little room.

pff
09-26-2015, 02:11 PM
do you have narrow feet? The fact you're looking at the lakes and sidis appears to imply that but so far as I know the spec shoes are wider/higher volume.

Asking people which is their favorite shoe is a bit pointless because it all depends on the shape of your foot --- your arch, the width, the volume, the toe shape (Egyptian, Roman, Greek, etc.). For me, with a moderate but collapsing arch, narrow, low volume feet and Egyptian toe shape, the lakes felt OK but Giro Empires were A+++ (the Giro Prolight is the same shoe with velcro, if you don't like laces). Do you have the same feet as me? probably not.